WEIGHTS and MEASURES (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I need some help in understanding axle weights etc.
My V5 shows revenue weight as 3850kg.
The Fiat plate shows:
1) 1850
2) 2120

The AKLO plate shows
1) 1850
2) 2120

I assume the ALKO chassis upped weight limit to 3850 from Fiat's 3550?
What is the 5500? Gross train weight if towing?? I'm not.
I assume 1850 and 2120 are the MAXIMUM permissable axle weights but the maximums must not exceed 3850 when added together?

The weighbridge today showed Front: 1640kgs and Rear: 2000kgs.
So I have used 3640 of 3850 so 210 kgs of payload remaining?
That's MAX of 210 front and MAX of 120 rear. But as combined weight is 3640 then I only have an actual weight to spare of 3850-3640=210kgs?

Rear was loaded with 2 full gas bottles, full toilet flush, 125 litres of water so rear pretty well taken care of.
Still got SHMBO to go on front, approx 63kg so 147 left for some more clothes and food. Most other things already in, tools, TV, etc. but only 1/4 tank of fuel so another 60kg if full, now down to 87kg , thats her trunk of clothes and my 4 T-shirts and shorts, well I know I am greedy but I am away for 4 weeks !
Have I got this load thing right please??

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It's late but yes as far as I can see you are spot on, the big figure as you say is the train weight but more importantly you cannot exceed 3850 however you achieve that and you cannot go over any of the individual axle weights to get there. If you load the rear to it's max of 2120 you mustn't exceed 1730 on the front.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
your V5 shows 3500, so that is your maximum, not 3850, which would change your tax class. getting the van uprated to 3850 would be a simple paper exercise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
your V5 shows 3500, so that is your maximum, not 3850, which would change your tax class. getting the van uprated to 3850 would be a simple paper exercise

Thanks for your interest but as I did say, my V5 showed 3850 but originally plated by Fiat as 3500.

I need some help in understanding axle weights etc.
My V5 shows revenue weight as 3850kg.

My aim was to ensure I understood axle weights and how all this weight allowance worked.
There are only 2 of us and the dog. The wife was shopping so need to add her weight on. Not a lot left, especially if there were 2 teenagers and their clothes etc.
Just goes to show how we could easily become over-weight.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have mine booked today to get weighed. My MRO is certified as 3216kg with 3500 max weight. I have removed 13 kg ( rear corner steadies ) so that leaves me with just short of 300kg excluding me, 80% fuel water and gas.
I have worked out with all of us on board ( inc 2 dogs) we have about 140 kg for clothes and food
Wonder what the weighbridge will say?
I have applied to SVTech to get the van plated to 3700 but I doubt that will be completed before we go away on 11th Aug
We are all on diets now!
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Well, Autosleepers was a little optimistic with the weights
I just had the van weighed and without me sitting in it, the weight was flickering between 3180 and 3200kg
That's about 70kg heavier than I thought, which means after we are all aboard, we have about 80kg spare for food and clothing before we get to our max weight
:Doh:
Allan

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
W and M

Now I'm going to confuse matters more. I told my son today that I had the MH weighed and have just enough spare kgs for wife !
He is an MOT tester and an AE so he queried my comment. He believed the passengers do not count, just the laden vehicle.
He contacted the local Traffic Police, he explained the weight issue and asked for the Officer's opinion.
The Officer said the weight would be based on the vehicle and driver, the passengers do not get weighed.

I'm surprised no one has been on to clarify the situation. There is usually a font of knowledge available here?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hmm. If you get pulled in and weighed and you're over the limit by any amount with the wife on board then I would think you'd have to jettison something to continue travelling be it fresh water, grey water or cargo to get down to your 3850. What's the diff between a passenger or 4 crates of beer, if you're over you're over?

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hmm. [HI]If you get pulled in and weighed and you're over the limit by any amount[/HI] with the wife on board then I would think you'd have to jettison something to continue travelling be it fresh water, grey water or cargo to get down to your 3850. [HI]What's the diff between a passenger or 4 crates of beer, if you're over you're over?[/HI]

I agree as I believed it would be the total weight on the ground irrespective of how that weight was made up.
Thankfully I'm OK as I have a bit to spare, I don't think SHMBO would take kindly to taking the bus home whilst me and dog carried on.
It's paranoia as well as I'm off to France and don't intend upsetting the Gendarmes or the VOSA equivalent

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
everything you said is correct up to axle weights.

Yes, 5500kg is the maximum combined mass (train weight)

The plated axle weights will always add up to more than the gross weight to allow for uneven loading of the axles.

If you load either axle to its max allowed weight you must unload the other to bring the total weight back to 3850kg.

Your spare 210kg would be best distributed between both axles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now I'm going to confuse matters more. I told my son today that I had the MH weighed and have just enough spare kgs for wife !
He is an MOT tester and an AE so he queried my comment. He believed the passengers do not count, just the laden vehicle.
He contacted the local Traffic Police, he explained the weight issue and asked for the Officer's opinion.
The Officer said the weight would be based on the vehicle and driver, the passengers do not get weighed.

I'm surprised no one has been on to clarify the situation. There is usually a font of knowledge available here?

UNLADEN WEIGHT includes the vehicle, driver (75kg allowance) and all fluids conducive to operating the vehicle...oil, fuel, cooling water and anything permanently fitted (bolted or welded) to the vehicle...towbar etc.

GROSS WEIGHT includes EVERYTHING from the ground up.

Moral is...never ask a copper or MOT tester, they don't have a clue

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
UNLADEN WEIGHT includes the vehicle, driver (75kg allowance) and all fluids conducive to operating the vehicle...oil, fuel, cooling water and anything permanently fitted (bolted or welded) to the vehicle...towbar etc.

GROSS WEIGHT includes EVERYTHING from the ground up. :thumb:

[HI]
Moral is...never ask a copper or MOT tester, they don't have a clue[/HI]
[HI]:Eeek::Eeek:
[/HI]
Thanks for your replies, more or less confirms what I thought. Glad this was your comment, you can probably handle the incoming exocets !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[HI]:Eeek::Eeek:
[/HI]
Thanks for your replies, more or less confirms what I thought. Glad this was your comment, you can probably handle the incoming exocets !

not a problem cos I know I'm right :winky:

Ask a copper if A frames are legal....most won't know what an A frame is, never mind the legalities. :roflmto:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Hmm. If you get pulled in and weighed and you're over the limit by any amount with the wife on board then I would think you'd have to jettison something to continue travelling be it fresh water, grey water or cargo to get down to your 3850. What's the diff between a passenger or 4 crates of beer?

You don't have to share the beer!:roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
[HI]He is an MOT tester and an AE so he queried my comment. He believed the passengers do not count, just the laden vehicle.[/HI]

No doubt you'll take 'great pleasure' in educating him! ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back