Alternator and water pump prices? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone give me a guideline of what I am looking at cost wise for a new
1) Water Pump
2) Alternator

For a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD on a 53 plate.

I just want to know a rough ball park figure so I don't get a heart attack when the Mechanic visits my van tomorrow.

thanks in advance :thumb:::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had to replace the 55Amp alternator on our 2.8 Iveco a few months ago and paid around £160 plus VAT trade:Eeek:! Without knowing what size/make alternator you have its difficult to say but it could be painful.

D.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's been confirmed. The Alternator is totally seized up...

Just waiting for a ramp to become available so he can take the old one out to get the part number...

Found a couple of replacement possibility on ebay. Link Removed is 120Amps for only £127 inc vat and shipping :thumb:

fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It's been confirmed. The Alternator is totally seized up...

Just waiting for a ramp to become available so he can take the old one out to get the part number...

Found a couple of replacement possibility on ebay. Link Removed is 120Amps for only £127 inc vat and shipping :thumb:

fingers crossed.

From memory Karl That seller Rotating electrics is at the cheaper end of the re manufactured market, Dave is spot on with his price for a "Proper Alternator" what will you do about warranty buying from the net???
Water pump circa £60-£80+ vat for again a decent manf not a Chinese chocolate teapot:RollEyes:
Geo

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have never replaced an alternator or starter motor in over 40 years. A good auto electrician should be able to sort it for under £50. The last alternator I had rebuilt including the charge regulator on a Cummins cost £30.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From memory Karl That seller Rotating electrics is at the cheaper end of the re manufactured market, Dave is spot on with his price for a "Proper Alternator" what will you do about warranty buying from the net???
Water pump circa £60-£80+ vat for again a decent manf not a Chinese chocolate teapot:RollEyes:
Geo

The garage quoted my £50 more for their Alternator. I have gone with the Garages one. If I got the ebay one and it went faulty it would have meant two trips back to the garage which would have wiped out the savings plus caused loads of inconvenience.

I have never replaced an alternator or starter motor in over 40 years. A good auto electrician should be able to sort it for under £50. The last alternator I had rebuilt including the charge regulator on a Cummins cost £30.

Not practical for me Snowbird. As a fulltimer I can't leave the van with the Garage while work is done as I would then have to pay for B&B etc which again wipes out any savings.

I will be keeping the old alternator and strip it down, if it is repairable I will get the full service kit and keep it as a spare. Fortunately in one of my previous incarnations I have worked at both a transformer factory and then a Motor Factory. On top of my Electrical apprenticeship which involved servicing huge motors... I avoid the mechanicals on a van but electrics I am happy to play with :thumb: Hopefully its just the bearings that have seized and I can do those and new brushes to get it working again... £20.00 ish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The bill came to half again and cost me every last penny I had left :Angry::Sad:

The alternator wouldn't unbolt, they told me there was a risk of the bolts sheering if they carried on. I gave the go ahead.

The bolt sheered:Doh:

Whilst trying to remove the bolt the bracket that is part of the alternator broke.
Unfortunately this was a return the old one deal so added £115 to the bill straight away. Add on the additional labour as it ended up taking 3 hours instead of the expected maximum of 1.

Got to hand it to the guys, they did the best they could to save me money..

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
look on the bright side it is still cheaper than council tax Karl

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun