LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just been informed this morning that herself wants to tour the Rhine :RollEyes:. Its one place I have never toured so know nothing about it. So where would be the best place to start and finish please.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
The Rhine

Have just been informed this morning that herself wants to tour the Rhine :RollEyes:. Its one place I have never toured so know nothing about it. So where would be the best place to start and finish please.
Hi Went last year, lovely if weather is pleasant and not crowded in August surprise, start at Koblenz meeting of the rhine and moselle and then work down, lots of places to stop and lovely little villages, If you go when the Rhine in Flames is on its worth seeing, Enjoy
Pete and Glybis

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Rhine

Agree with first reply. Start at Koblentz. Used to be a good aire there, The Rhein as far as Rudesheim is one of my favourite areas. I don't know how much time you have but you could also do a very pretty part of the Mosel river from Koblentz too. You'll love it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Koblentz to Rudesheim looks good, which side of the river would you suggest is the best, east or west ?. Or maybe down on the east side and back up on the west, then down the Mosel a little.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We did that stretch last month on the way back from Switzerland. We went from Bingen north to Koblenz but I think either side is the same.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The road on the Bingen side is a better/faster road than t'other side, and I think it has more campsites.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
rudesheim is a must plenty of sites all along the Rhine so u will be spoilt for choice

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Rhine

Koblentz to Rudesheim looks good, which side of the river would you suggest is the best, east or west ?. Or maybe down on the east side and back up on the west, then down the Mosel a little.

Not good at my easts and wests but I would favour the right hand side if you're looking in the Rudesheim direction.(The side the big sculpture is on where the rivers meet.) There is a ferry (at Koblenz I think) that could take you across to the other side so you could go one way and come back on the other. If you get to Rudesheim walk down the Drosselgasse (very touristy little narrow alley) and then find the Denkmal (a big very ugly memorial but with a beautiful view from the top).

The Stellplatz (stopping places) book from Vicarious books is a very good guide to the German equivalent of the French aires. It's in German but not difficult to understand.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

On a boat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The touristy bit is quite short, Koblenz to Rudesheim.

The touristy part of the Mosel is also short and I think nicer. More places to taste and buy wine.

Do both.

Boppard. Sant Goar. Must sees.

Cocham on the Mosell even better. Grand aire and weingud at Mehring.

Then a good few miles up stream, Rhine Fall on the Swiss border. EU biggest waterfall. Reasonable aire on the Swiss side.

River Neckar also good to visit Heidelberg.

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
We just did the Rhine and the Moselle the last couple of weeks.

IMO touring the Moselle was much nicer, less industrial than the Rhine and absolutely brimming with stellplatz, my favorite being one at Norbert Feiten
Rioler Weg 2, 54340 Longuich - A vineyard with full facilities including WC and shower, plus an onsite bar with terrace for 8€ a night including elec. You wont find it in the Bord Atlas.

I agree that Moselle and Rhine are quite easily do-able in a single trip. Trier is Germany's oldest city, founded around 16BC.

Last edited:

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
I should add, I'm stilll not a fan of German wine, fortunately Lidl stock some very nice Spanish Gran Reserva's for 3€ and under ;)

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Rhine

You can't beat a Riesling (preferably the slightly dryer Mosel although a Rhein is fine) if you like a medium white wine. But that's just my opinion and I'm not a wine buff. I even like Blue Nun and I believe that's something to be ashamed of!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back