Thinking of changing van (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Well we've had our Frankia for over 4 years and we still love it, but as our kids don't always come with us we don't need all the space.

We have seen a few really nice panel van conversions on lwb sprinters and ivecos. We have virtually every mod con on our current van so choosing a new one is hard, especially as many vans don't live up to high expectations after over 4 years of trouble free Frankia ownership.

We need 4 travelling seats, a decent size garage/load space, a good size bed and a second smaller bed for occasional use by our kids. We love the ivecos as they have a big payload and can tow a big trailer.

Any advice is welcome, does anyoneknow of decent companies who can build a van to our spec? Don't think we'll have trouble selling our Frankia as we have had people asking us about it at shows, we even have uninvited people walking in to take a look round but were open to offers.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you have enjoyed owning your present motorhome so much then you will have to be 100% sure that the next one is going to live up to similar expectations. There are a number of good looking vans out there but if you look very close I think you will be very disappointed. Unless you can get hold of a Merc 609 or 709 then most of the van conversions are quite small and compact inside. We once owned an IH which the build quality was unquestionable but you couldn't swing a cat round it inside and you have to consider the insulation and condensation aspect. There are many pro's and con's but there are many smaller coach built ones to consider that are well insulated.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi check out Barnsley sports homes on Carlton ind est, and RS,MOTORHOMES AT GOLDTHORPE :thumb: bOTH CLOSE TO YOU
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Give you a fiver for your extendable table top! ::bigsmile:

Steve :Smile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As an owner of a 21' A Class and with only 2 of us we have considered changing our mh but have always come out against it for the following reasons.

1. To part exchange would mean us having to part with shed loads of cash for a vehicle with much reduced space.
2. After such a long time with our mh we have come to love it and trust it and feel confident in it; it would take twelve months anxious motoring before we would arrive at the same level of confidence with another mh.
3. Knowing my current mh I know most of what is likely to go wrong and can plan ahead with a new vehicle it is a big unknown.
4, Buying a smaller mh means less space - fine when the weather is good but if you have to spend 3 weeks in it as we did at the beginning of our France trip we were glad of the space.

My opinion is keep what you have and continue enjoying your mh especially as you have a class vehicle.

Norman

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What's wrong with having plenty of space?

As long as it's not too big for you to drive and because you love your van, I would keep it.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
What's wrong with having plenty of space?

As long as it's not too big for you to drive and because you love your van, I would keep it.

My daughter will be learning to drive so will need more space on our drive. Cheaper Pitches at shows etc. Easier to get on and off show pitches.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Looks a nice van, just took a look at your add on the dark side:thumb:
http://************************/ftoptitle-143203-frankia-a800gd-luxury-class.html

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Quite like the RS Equinox. Im going to look at one next week.

A word of warning :Eeek: RS were in the hands of the recievers and may still be :winky::Eeek: (no doubt some funster will know how to find out if they still are)Use this as a bargaining chip.remembering they could go at any time so no GTEE =6/10k off what is a very good but expensive van :thumb:::bigsmile:
I don't think they were in trouble so much, more that they have stock and not shifting it -large stock ie 3m plus- and could not afford to pay surpliers.No doubt if they managed to sell the stock they would be able to pay everyone ::bigsmile:As things stand the boss may have bought his company off the recievers for next to nothing and carried on trading leaving surpliers out of pocket :Angry::Eeek:
Back to the vans they look super :thumb: although I don't like the layout in the Equinox ::bigsmile:Just as I don't like carpet on walls same as the Convertyourvan pics but what I like may not be to everyone elses likeing :winky:
If you are going to RS I am only 1 mile away :Smile:happy viewing
terry

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Looks a nice van, just took a look at your add on the dark side:thumb:
http://************************/ftoptitle-143203-frankia-a800gd-luxury-class.htm
Should also be on here on the Light Side :Smile: Broken Link Removed

Anyone who has seen us on rallies and shows will know that we have always looked after our van, hence the vortex exhaust that we fitted because we considered it the best. Well it should be at over ÂŁ900.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A word of warning :Eeek: RS were in the hands of the recievers and may still be :winky::Eeek: (no doubt some funster will know how to find out if they still are)Use this as a bargaining chip.remembering they could go at any time so no GTEE =6/10k off what is a very good but expensive van :thumb:::bigsmile:
I don't think they were in trouble so much, more that they have stock and not shifting it -large stock ie 3m plus- and could not afford to pay surpliers.No doubt if they managed to sell the stock they would be able to pay everyone ::bigsmile:As things stand the boss may have bought his company off the recievers for next to nothing and carried on trading leaving surpliers out of pocket :Angry::Eeek:
Back to the vans they look super :thumb: although I don't like the layout in the Equinox ::bigsmile:Just as I don't like carpet on walls same as the Convertyourvan pics but what I like may not be to everyone elses likeing :winky:
If you are going to RS I am only 1 mile away :Smile:happy viewing
terry

Cheers Terry,
Im arranging to view a rather nice RS van on monday, only problem is its a 500 mile round trip so may make a holiday trip of it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Terry,
Im arranging to view a rather nice RS van on monday, only problem is its a 500 mile round trip so may make a holiday trip of it.

:Eeek: RS factory is only in S Yorks so depending on where you are in west yorks it may be worth a quick trip to the factory to see what they have on offer :thumb:as I said in other post they were desperate to shift stock :winky: don't know if they still are :Smile: and not entirly sure if they had/have a showroom down south
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back