Nervous/exited - France here we come! (1 Viewer)

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we're off to Southern Brittany for a fortnight, on Sat. 1st time taking our MH abroad. Think we have everything covered - anything anyone can think of that a 1st timer might forget? Thanks:france::wine:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
2 x breathalyzers ?

Enjoy and good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Money
Cash card
Credit card
Travellers cheques
More money
Bottle opener
Cork screw
O and wife
Map
Aires book
Plus all you forgot but don't fret you won't want them till you get of boat at Calais

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Enjoy your trip, a few things that are handy

Baby wipes
Sun Cream
Can Fly Killer
Citerella Candles
Some long life milk

Just a few idea's take it you have all the normal things in.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
2 x breathalyzers ?

Enjoy and good luck.

I thought they dropped that rule

It is actually a classic French situation - the law says you have to carry breathelysers (approved "NF" type) but they have dropped the penalty if you have not got them! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
However, random breath tests are usual here, and with the lower limit (50 compared with 80 in the UK) it is worth being careful. Morning breath tests are customary - in one village we went through early am the gendarmes were pulling in speeders (not us, thankfully) and breathalysing all who were pulled in.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Passports, tickets and money.

Anything else is available over there.

Headlight deflectors also a good idea.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
As my husband says"dont worry, they do have shops", mind you this is swiftly followed by a good slap from me as I like everything planned! Hope you have a lovely time.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Money
Cash card
Credit card
Travellers cheques
More money
Bottle opener
Cork screw
O and wife
Map
Aires book
Plus all you forgot but don't fret you won't want them till you get of boat at Calais

Where do you cash Travellers Cheques now days?:Smile:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, we're off to Southern Brittany for a fortnight, on Sat. 1st time taking our MH abroad. Think we have everything covered - anything anyone can think of that a 1st timer might forget? Thanks:france::wine:

How fabulous! That is going to be our destination of choice for our first trip abroad with the van too, but not until late September.

I hope you have a great time and would love to hear how you get on.
Bon Voyage

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
France trip

Hi, Dont want to be a killjoy but make sure that you have good cover on your breakdown insurance (I speak from experience :cry:) Have a safe journey and try to speak a little french when you are there it is such good fun and I found the people were so helpful I may go back next year hopefully :roflmto:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We came back a couple of weeks ago for our first time abroad in RV, was something real different. Fabulous time.

IMHO Euro coins very useful if you staying on Aires, the ones we stopped at did not take notes and some didn't take cards either. If you go on EHU then male sure you got your EHU converters!
E111 no longer in use, you need a EHIC, can do it online and only takes a few days to come back

oh and Sun glasses

but most of all Your French language book and your camera!!! enjoy...

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Off to France

When I took my parents over to the Somme for the first time in 1996, my mum took potatoes, on the grounds that "they may not have them over there."

Mind you, she also insisted on keeping the car windows shut when we were in the tunnel carriage, in case the water got in!:Nowink::Nowink:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It was my 1st trip in MH last year to France. Twelve days as a fact-finding trip.
Will gas last, how easy to get dog seen at vets, where shall we stay at night, how will I get on with 7.4 metre MH, what about water, how many times will I be gassed, etc?
Gas lasted, walked into vets, easy peasy, paid twice to overnight in 12 days.
Parked almost anywhere. [HI]WHAT YELLOW LINES ? [/HI]

Tell bank to expect rapid use of a/c and Credit cards as you are abroad. Don't want account frozen in case of suspected cloning.
Grab water whenever available.

JUST FORGET THE UK AND ENJOY. There is no hurry, you are on holiday.

This time next week I'll be leaving for 4 weeks, no set plans, will just meander.

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
A thing to enable you to carry a baguette on your bike when you cycle to the bakers each morning.

My wife thought it very funny when I arrived back at the bus each morning with a droopy, limp, sorry looking stick whilst our French neighbours enjoyed a pristine baton!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Let us know how you get on when you get back , as we ore off to Brittany in sept so I will be interested in your findings.
Terry:sin::sin:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We came back a couple of weeks ago for our first time abroad in RV, was something real different. Fabulous time.

IMHO Euro coins very useful if you staying on Aires, the ones we stopped at did not take notes and some didn't take cards either. If you go on EHU then male sure you got your EHU converters!
E111 no longer in use,[HI] you need a EHIC[/HI], can do it online and only takes a few days to come back

oh and Sun glasses

but most of all Your French language book and your camera!!! enjoy...

Just checked our cards ,they are EHIC not the older type e111.

If the worst does happen when there ,are owning the cards the equivalent as having free NHS care?

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Requirements

A high-vis jacket for each van occupant, to be stored in the front of the van.

Enjoy.

Bob

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
EHIC

This entitles you to the state provided health care of the country you are in so it will not be free in France. Most costs are reimbursable, keep your receipts. They are quite transparent about costs and the care is excellent. It is not as clear in Spain because there have been recent cases of the State Hospitals refusing to honour the EHIC or people go to private hospitals without realizing and then you are only covered if you have standalone travel .

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Just a reminder....................they have SHOPS in France, where you can buy things.....

:winky:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
our first time in france was 18 months ago and weve been back twice since im trying to recall what was most confusing or amazing
petrol dont buy it on the motorways try and find supermarkets the pay system is different to here if its manned you fill up and then your funneled towards the pay booth note the pump number you filled from
if unmanned they will take major credit cards in the pump we found they didnt take our pre pay cards so try and have a selection
most of france away from main tourist spots will appear closed you have to push the door sounds silly but we didnt realise
france is vast and their not a lot of people there
aires book is a must if your travelling without booking, sat nav is worth its weight in gold
france is made for wandering we bought bread mornings and evening most days
carrefour was our favorite supermarket followed by super u
didnt like spar much
look out for market days
resturants ,we found best at lunch time they tend to be on the cross rds at the center of villages often they dont look anything special ,we gauged them by the cars parked around them they are not cheap recon a good lunch will cost 40 euros but it will be good, most days we stopped at bars for coffes and rolls or pastries more tourist places theres plenty of options of varying quality
most of all relax nothing you need cant be bought there its only the first of many trips im sure

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As above, we like to stop for our morning coffee at the little cafes in the larger villages and towns. Also do lunch rather than dinner. Fresh, local croissants and bread are a must. Auchan is our favorite supermarket but they are a little scarce in the south. Local markets are great for fish even in the middle of the country.

Enjoy France, it's a really nice experience though we find it takes a few days to settle into 'french' mode.

Rgds
Bill

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It was my 1st trip in MH last year to France. Twelve days as a fact-finding trip.
Will gas last, how easy to get dog seen at vets, where shall we stay at night, how will I get on with 7.4 metre MH, what about water, how many times will I be gassed, etc?
Gas lasted, walked into vets, easy peasy, paid twice to overnight in 12 days.
Parked almost anywhere. [HI]WHAT YELLOW LINES ? [/HI]

Tell bank to expect rapid use of a/c and Credit cards as you are abroad. Don't want account frozen in case of suspected cloning.
Grab water whenever available.

JUST FORGET THE UK AND ENJOY. There is no hurry, you are on holiday.

This time next week I'll be leaving for 4 weeks, no set plans, will just meander.

Oh yes, if you must take a laptop don't forget charger and get signed on to McDonalds for your FREE internet connection before you go.
Works in UK and France I'm told.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back