Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I now have our Transit minibus 2.5 changed to Motor Caravan with DVLA.
New log book arrived today
I am a little unsure of one or two thing which maybe you could explain to me
1 It has been MOT`d as a campervan group 4 .
2 DVLA have changed log book to private light goods. Dont know what group this is but I now pay slightly more for road tax than I did for minibus. which I do not understand
3 log book states it is still has16 seats when in fact it has only three front seats.

Is all this all in order or has something gone array. Any guidance ...................Thanks Bruce

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
"Bus" tax, is less than PLG so that is the reason for your tax increase. Can't say why it is still classed as a 16 seater though, I guess it would be best to drop them an email and ask the reason. They may have got it wrong or there may be a valid reason for the entry
Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all motorhomes, irrespective of size and weight are class 4 mot...the same as a car.
(the really big american ones...13 tons etc....may be a different class but not sure.

if the gross (MTPLW or MAM or MGW) weight on the chassis/vin plate is 3500kg or less it is private light goods....and road tax costs more.
if its more than 3500kg then its PRIVATE HEAVY GOODS and road tax is £165 pa
DVLA are notorious for getting this wrong and it needs correcting or you may have very little payload and could even be overweight.

16 seats should not be a problem as long as the log book body type states MOTOR CARAVAN and not minibus

if it doesnt state motorcaravan it isnt properly registered as a motorhome.

i suspect the log book states motorcaravan or the MOT would have been class 5 or 7.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
all motorhomes, irrespective of size and weight are class 4 mot...the same as a car.
(the really big american ones...13 tons etc....may be a different class but not sure.

if the gross (MTPLW or MAM or MGW) weight on the chassis/vin plate is 3500kg or less it is private light goods....and road tax costs more.
if its more than 3500kg then its PRIVATE HEAVY GOODS and road tax is £165 pa
DVLA are notorious for getting this wrong and it needs correcting or you may have very little payload and could even be overweight.

16 seats should not be a problem as long as the log book body type states MOTOR CARAVAN and not minibus

if it doesnt state motorcaravan it isnt properly registered as a motorhome.

i suspect the log book states motorcaravan or the MOT would have been class 5 or 7.
[/QUOTE
]IT IS "motor caravan"
THANKS FOR REPLY WILL CHECK WEIGHT TOMORROW

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think the definition of motorhome seating is 'up to 16 seats inc driver'.

As you can see from the definitions below there isn't a seat limit. However there is for your driving licence you need a C1 if over 3500kg and a D1 for between 10 and 16 seats including the driver. Over 16 seats you need a full D licence.

EU Commission Directive 2001/116/EC of 20 December 2001 adapting to technical progress Council Directive 70/156/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the type-approval of motor vehicles and their trailers

ANNEX II

DEFINITION OF VEHICLE CATEGORIES AND VEHICLE TYPES

A. DEFINITION OF VEHICLE CATEGORY

1. Category M: Motor vehicles with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers.

Category M1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.

Category M2: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a maximum mass not exceeding 5 tonnes.

Category M3: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes.

5. "Special purpose vehicle" means a vehicle of category M, N or O for conveying passengers or goods and for performing a special function for which special body arrangements and/or equipment are necessary. ie. A Hearse, Ambulance or Motor Caravan

5.1. "Motor caravan" means a special purpose M category vehicle constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

- seats and table,

- sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,

- cooking facilities, and

- storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back