Electric bike (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I want to surprise my other half with an electric bike so don't really want to spoil the surprise by asking her to try them out.

So I was wondering if anyone could recomend a bike for a small 5' 2" woman with the emphasis on the motorised component ie minimum pedalling

A bonus would be some feature like a power recapture system (charging when down hill)

Any advice welcome

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
AS Bikes

Joyce is around 5'0" and gets on well with the smaller wheeled AS Bike's model .... reasonable price and great after sales service.

Does not have recapture but on a full battery outlasts her bum every time.:winky:

Brian

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Don't think you will find any of them offer recharge as you cycle, as far as I know, wish they did, will probably someday. Would not be without our E bikes. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I am 5' 2 and have the small wheeled AS bike. Find it brilliant.

Lin

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Our bikes are AS Bikes 36 Volt Bat's and 250 Watt motors, we find them great my Mr's 5 ft ish, so ok, one of our chargers went caput in Jan when it was 18 Month old, emailed Peter at AS , told him we would be in Spain til July he said see him at a show to swop charger, we did so at Knutsford last Fri, charger then 2 years old no probs swopping for a new one (warranty one year) so very pleased. Pete :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
with the emphasis on the motorised component ie minimum pedalling

There is not a whole lot of choice. The Law specifies a maximum size of motor ( 200W I think, that's about 1/4 horsepower ). That's it, not a motor bike but a nice bit of help.

The only choice battery capacity. A bigger battery will NOT give more power assist but greater range.

And quality.

The first generation ones we have, the motor is hard wired to the control box. To change a tyre is a nightmare. I've seen new ones where it's all plug and socket and would be a joy to work on. That is the difference between £700 and £1700.

Weight can very depending on frame.

It's very risky doing it as a surprise, try and cover yourself by asking about returns.

They are great, you should get two.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hoping this doesnt put too much of a damper on your plans but

Electric bikes are expensive and having been looking at some myself I have found that not all suit me.

It would be a shame to spend out £1k plus on something that special person in your life then finds uncomfortable or not particularly easy to ride.

Why not buy a cheap kids scooter off ebay for her to open with a hand made voucher attached saying she can choose her own electric bike

Not every bike suits every rider xxxxxx

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
I bought my freego bike a few months ago and was so pleased with it my other half bought one too even though he was very reluctant to have one at first. Once he saw how good they were he couldn't wait to have one. The good thing about them is that you don't have to use the electric side of them if you don't want to and then just use it when the area is hilly!: They are worth their weight in gold when cycling in Wales or similar terraine . ::bigsmile:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I bought my freego bike a few months ago and was so pleased with it my other half bought one too even though he was very reluctant to have one at first. Once he saw how good they were he couldn't wait to have one. The good thing about them is that you don't have to use the electric side of them if you don't want to and then just use it when the area is hilly!: They are worth their weight in gold when cycling in Wales or similar terraine . ::bigsmile:

I have the same model, excellent choice I think, tried several others before buying the Freego, no regrets since.!

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Hoping this doesnt put too much of a damper on your plans but

Electric bikes are expensive and having been looking at some myself I have found that not all suit me.

It would be a shame to spend out £1k plus on something that special person in your life then finds uncomfortable or not particularly easy to ride.

Why not buy a cheap kids scooter off ebay for her to open with a hand made voucher attached saying she can choose her own electric bike

Not every bike suits every rider xxxxxx

Good idea, I might do that thanks :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back