Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone want to claim the record for paying the highest overnight site fee?

Mine would be Euros 42.50 for one night at Mataro near Barcelona. Luckily I used my ACSI card so it was Euros 16. Phew!!

:ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does anyone want to claim the record for paying the highest overnight site fee?

Mine would be Euros 42.50 for one night at Mataro near Barcelona. Luckily I used my ACSI card so it was Euros 16. Phew!!

:ROFLMAO:

Euros 16 is way above what I pay, so afraid I'm out:winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not cheap at all. I'm at Higher Moor Farm campsite near Weymouth and they charge £15 a night with hookup which I thought expensive but it is a really good site and cheaper than many. A bit of a reality check as we often stay on CL/CS.........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Last year we paid £26 a night for a "super pitch" at Sauchope Links near Crail in Fife:Eeek:

Yes, we know it's a small fortune, but it was all they had left .......... I wonder why. But it was our very first trip away in the van and we did get fantastic views out to the Firth of Forth::bigsmile:

Even just with EHU it's between £17 and £21 per night depending on the time of year you go.

Margaret & Bill

Link Removed

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have just checked the price of an overnight stay at Chatsworth with the CC prices for the mh and two adults and it's working out at £29 per night now :Eeek:
It's £10.80 for the pitch, plus £8.60 for each adult............but add on £3.90 per child. Now perhaps it's just me, but that seems like greed:Angry:

We really will have to try this "wild-camping" before long::bigsmile:

Margaret & Bill

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
€60+ is not uncommon in the South of France or Spain in July/August - which is why we come home until the little darlings are safely back at their desks!:ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Until recently I was a tugger, current prices where I went are:
pitch £8.00
2@ £7.50 £15.00
1 EHU @ £5.00
--------
£28.00 per night, (for what ? ?)

But no charge for dog!!
Went to Cornwall in May for 10 days, paid £0.00
Tried France last year for 1st time in MH, total novice, paid twice, once at Honfleur where we met friends and once on aire €10 with EHU as we wanted to do Mont St. Michel.
Now have 170 watt panel on roof, an inverter and off for 4 weeks in 10 days!!
Toll roads and pricey sites are not within my pension.
Have shelled out for France Passion though, SHMBO looking forward to that experience. She has even mastered using the guide's GPS codes and how to use the Sat-nav. Now that is a first for the mistress of getting lost when out of the town we live in !

Attachments

• ROOF.jpg
    ROOF.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 44
Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Just paid £43per night at cotswold hobourne and never used the facilities.had a funeral to go to at the four pillars so just for convenience .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
A few weeks ago whilst in France we were asked for 53 euros a night in Cannes ( ACSI recommended ), on the way out the door I told the lady I would park our MH across the road and book in the hotel for 35 euros a night. Ripe off....................

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Visa Cards

whilst abroad we use the Caravan Club credit card which gets us free nights on CC sites.
Only do UK in June annually so had 5 to use this yr.
We always use ACSI sites when abroad when we can or Aires in France
When home we use Tesco credit card which pays for the ferry or tunnel.

Even CL's are getting too expensive as they have put EHU and shower facilities etc on site and need the cash to repay etc/
They have lost their way as to me a CL is a field etc with no facilities Thats why M/ (HOME) have it all on board just like home

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at a CL near Ross-on-Wye and paid £15 incl hook up. Not too bad considering previous posts. :Eeek: But I thought 50p extra for the shower was taking the p***!

We used our own! :thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I do not like it when the price is plus this and plus that. If you pay for a pitch why is it extra for say a trailer, nobody else can use your pitch so it's not like the site is losing money. Ivory 55

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Don't know where posting went but just spend 3 weeks touring UK at average of £17.85 whith dearest £25.50 cc and cheapest £12.50 CCC CL all with ehu

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Site fees depend on supply and demand and facilities provided.

I tend to travel outside of holidays and over Winter when sites that are open have few visitors.

Sites have to be maintained all year round, when busy they will make a profit some days they will lose money.

The least I have paid in the last year was £15, the most £28, I always know what I am going to pay before I arrive.

The only reason I wouldn't return would be for poor service or facilities.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know where posting went but just spend 3 weeks touring UK at average of £17.85 whith dearest £25.50 cc and cheapest £12.50 CCC CL all with ehu

Just been to France on Monday 6 euros aire at gravelines back to a ccc cl at ashford £10 and a Britstop at a vineyard in Kent for free so three nights for £15 went with full tank of water , empty toilet and came back without filling up or emptying and filled up with 50 bottles wine at 1.20 euros a bottle

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We were in Normandy last week before last and had 4 adults (plus 1 baby) and were paying 30euro although one site wanted 42euro but we went 500yds back up the road to a 30euro site instead. Just had 2 nights at CLs in Sussex £5.50 and £6.00 with only water though (France sites had full monty showers/swimming pool/entertainment)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I do not like it when the price is plus this and plus that. If you pay for a pitch why is it extra for say a trailer, nobody else can use your pitch so it's not like the site is losing money. Ivory 55

Agree with you on that, we were on a site a while back and got talking to someone who said they were even charged extra for the dog:Eeek: Can't remember where it was, I thought he was joking but he wasn't. For goodness sake why charge for a dog, they don't have any use for the showers etc.

What seems unfair is that when we stay at a CC site, we pay the same fee as someone with a large caravan with a huge awning. It would seem fairer if a mh "without" an awning should pay less than someone with a large caravan and huge awning surely.

Some of the caravans that we saw the last time we were at Lower Wensleydale were quite big, but they had huge awnings attached to them, most of them doubling the space they were taking up. Yet they paid the same price as us for their pitch :RollEyes:

Bill

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Agree with you on that, we were on a site a while back and got talking to someone who said they were even charged extra for the dog:Eeek: Can't remember where it was, I thought he was joking but he wasn't. For goodness sake why charge for a dog, they don't have any use for the showers etc.

What seems unfair is that when we stay at a CC site, we pay the same fee as someone with a large caravan with a huge awning. It would seem fairer if a mh "without" an awning should pay less than someone with a large caravan and huge awning surely.

Some of the caravans that we saw the last time we were at Lower Wensleydale were quite big, but they had huge awnings attached to them, most of them doubling the space they were taking up. Yet they paid the same price as us for their pitch :RollEyes:

Bill

Just this! Our first wee trip away at the site there were vans with 10 foot rooms on the side which was no problem but I asked if I could put a pop up tent next to our van for the kids to sleep in if they wanted to and I was told they could have a pitch 600 yards away with electric!! :Angry:

Next time I will not ask and just do.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just this! Our first wee trip away at the site there were vans with 10 foot rooms on the side which was no problem but I asked if I could put a pop up tent next to our van for the kids to sleep in if they wanted to and I was told they could have a pitch 600 yards away with electric!! :Angry:

Next time I will not ask and just do.

ive found in life that its easier (and cheaper) to apologize after than to ask permission

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
:cry:The Moon & Sixpence site near woodbridge in Suffolk very nice site surrounded by pig farms
for one of the may bank holidays they charged us Gbp 16.50p per head then you only get
a 6amp hookup.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I paid well over £70 a night in Spain last summer.

Some of our best times though have been on CL's. There is one that is part of our storage place and free for us to use. I love it , only sheep for company::bigsmile:

My daughter said this morning that she wanted to stay there for her birthday. I had been bracing myself for Euro Disney or Alton Towers at least:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Bill

And a car.
:Eeek:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
And a car.
:Eeek:

Yes, didn't mention the car as the caravan and trailer wouldn't get there without it:RollEyes:

But whilst checking into Lower Wensleydale that day, there was a lady tugger in the office complaining about someone's motorhome that was overhanging his pitch...........:Doh:

Bill(Mr Grumpy)::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I paid well over £70 a night in Spain last summer.

Some of our best times though have been on CL's. There is one that is part of our storage place and free for us to use. I love it , only sheep for company::bigsmile:

My daughter said this morning that she wanted to stay there for her birthday. I had been bracing myself for Euro Disney or Alton Towers at least:thumb:

Ha! Alton Towers!! Reminds us of friends who drove all the way down to Alton in Hampshire...........thinking that was where Alton Towers was:Doh: Long way down there from Greenock in Scotland..... and to think they'd passed signs for it on the M6:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back