Fiamma F45 iL, won't wind out.......... (1 Viewer)

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Asabove, on a 5m awning. Will 'wind in the IN direction', and gears do not slip, but when trying to wind out, there is a light clicking noise, once per rev of the winding ring, from about 1m in from the winding end, also the red safety indicators don't pop out. I think, if ts the gearbox thats stripped its gears, it would not wind in either direction. It will go in the in direction, and can wind it ever so tight that way; but the outwards direction- no action and no resistance felt to turning the winder. Anyone had this? Over to youse guys, lol!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not had it myself but had to fix one last year.

The holes for the gear spindles had worn oval, .. meant that winding in PULLED the gears in to mesh, winding out forced the gears out of mesh

Have a look on this site to find the parts you need

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Awning-Spare-parts-for-motorhome-and-caravan

Than give Johns Cross a ring ( 01580 881288 ) with the part number(s).. :thumb:
They ( the awnings ) are pretty easy to work on and the parts are not that expensive ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Thought originally the gearbox was u/s, but will have to strip it out and see. But I don't know what makes the clicking sound from further down the casing, as I can't see anything on the diagram to make such a noise. Which bits had gone oval? The gearbox is a worm and pinion I think, which of not meshed, would not be so in either direction. Has anyone ever had one apart?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Give Matt or Darren a ring on 01-580-883062 and ask them or talk to Glenn or Ian in my workshop, they will have the solution and the parts if needed

If you view the video for replacement of winch eye it shows you how to get the gearbox off the awning so you can have a look.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-technical-videos.html

Peter

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Ta for that Peter... however, I've found the catch 22 in this! I cannot wind it out, so cannot remove the horizontal screw that is shown being taken out of the mech. cover, from within the awning roll space. Therein lies my dilemma. Any advice on that please? Cheers,,Dave

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Ta for that Peter... however, I've found the catch 22 in this! I cannot wind it out, so cannot remove the horizontal screw that is shown being taken out of the mech. cover, from within the awning roll space. Therein lies my dilemma. Any advice on that please? Cheers,,Dave

Sorry Dave not got a clue to be honest and I am not on site, give them a ring and ask, its FREE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
How strange........I had just come on to see if there was a posting for this very problem, and whilst scanning the topics to see what was being discussed currently I saw this......how good is that! :thumb:
Not good that ours is broken though, especially as we're going away so need shelter from the heat..........only picked that van up last week too....wish I'd checked the awning whilst at the dealer:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well at least the dealer is going to have to fix it.. save you messing around ! :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as well as that's exactly what's happened to our awning.
Winding mechanism keeps winding and no awning appearing.
Too afraid to keep going to wind it out because if if didn't wind back in we would be stuffed.
Changing motorhome next week so going to find another way to keep out of the sun until we collect our other one,I checked that one worked ok.
All worked ok until this heatwave started, sods law eh?

Last edited:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Yeah which is good. And have to take van back in for a BBQ point to be fitted as well. Just wish it'd happened in the cold weather!

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Strange to tell, but! It worked fine when I had the vehicle surveyed before purchase. Then first time I had a play with it, nothing. IMHO I can't see me using it, its annoying tho'. I'll take Peters advice as soon as I can. I will post any fix on here, but it will be a while before I can folow any paln anyway due to work.

OP
OP
jackrussel

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Thanx to all who responded so quickly to this thread. I can now happily relate, that the awning does indeed work OK, but sticks in the housing somewhere; I need to find where. If I get up and pull on it a little (first one end then the non winding end) and out it comes. Inwards is easy. So, now the hard bit starts....!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I was just going to post the same thing! We have been away for the weekend at a dealer event (not the one we got this van from but we have bought a couple of vans from the in the past). Had a chat with the technical guy there who was around in the rally field, and tired out it was stuck as well. I pulled it hard whilst someone wound it out and hey presto........looks like it has never been used.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanx to all who responded so quickly to this thread. I can now happily relate, that the awning does indeed work OK, but sticks in the housing somewhere; I need to find where. If I get up and pull on it a little (first one end then the non winding end) and out it comes. Inwards is easy. So, now the hard bit starts....!
thinking back, we had a problem with a brand new fiamma awning that kept sticking shut. i found out eventually there was a knack to getting it to come out. wind it tight then unwind fast and the pressure of the canopy unspooling made it shoot out the first 2 foot with a thud. we greased the mechanism on a few occasions, but all of a sudden the fault just went away. my theory is that the catches were stiff being new and using it numerous times "wore them in". never had a problem with it again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back