Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For the first 10 years of his life my son as good as grew up on drop zones all over UK and Europe. He's always wanted to skydive for as long as he can remember. For 2 years he has saved every envelope of Christmas and birthday money and banked all his wages from a part time job at Cotswold Outdoor. His goal to raise £2500 to do an AFF Course (Accelerated Freefall)

Training now done, as soon as the cloud lifts this morning he will ascend to 13500ft in one of the fastest jump ships around (ironically called a Cessna CARAVAN:roflmto: and along side two experienced skydivers he'll jump.

I don't know what I'm scared about, I know he'll be safe. The sport's not for everyone but I know he'll love it. So why when laid in bed this morning, thinking about my son waking up in his tent at Langer airfield, on the morning of his first jump, do I feel so strange. I'm suffering with terrible nerve's, jealousy, excitement and pride all rolled into one, it's really weird. I should be there, but I'm sure he's glad I'm not, boys need to escape from their dads at sometime. :Cool: He's going to have a great day - Blue Skies James have a good one:thumb:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Jim, very sentimental......Speaking as a parent are you sure you won't regret not being there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
All the very best to young James, from Rita and I please Jim. :thumb:

He's got some balls, eh? :winky:

Jock.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
He will be fine...... and will look forward to the next and the next... :thumb:

I think it`s a bit of jealousy on dad`s part... your not to old to have a go Jim... :winky:::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes you have to let them go eventually but that's a hell of a way to do it. My son was due to do a tandem jump last month but it was weathered off so still to come, but he is 40! :ROFLMAO:

Good luck, hope it all goes well.
:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
he will be fine and u will be proud i can se u now with a massive grin on ya face

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
James its a wonderful experience and I am sure you will have a fantastic day.

Here is hoping the sky is clear leaving wonderful views. It always over far too quickly.

Hope mum and dad are going along to video and photograph it.

Jim, use this as a practice run - if you are bricking it now, wait till he announces he is getting married :RollEyes::RollEyes:

Sian, you always give everyone support so I am especially thinking of you today xxxx sending you all big hugs

Looking forward to seeing some photos of this wtggggggg James

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Too few youngsters have such a sense of adventure. Apart from the jumping the travel and camaraderie will make him a better man.
Sit back and wallow in his enthusiasm.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm sure everything will be fine.
Personally I could never see the point of jumping out of a plane when it's running perfectly well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
He's going to be non stop talking about it later and a memory for life.. :thumb:

I have an 8 year old here who is already asking about it..

On my AFF course with a friend.. He froze the whole way down and they had to pull the cord for him.. Stupid bugger had paid to have himself filmed, not much to see except the instructor trying to force him to do the movement :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
He's brave. Not surprised you are nervous.

My son is into the more sedate white water rafting and am always so relieved when he calls me afterwards.

Hope he enjoys it. Great effort saving all that money:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
He will be fine Jim ..... not sure about you though.

As members of Brit Stops we stayed overnight at Langar airfield earlier this year and watched some of the sky diving.

I did offer to send Joyce up but she reckoned her diary was full and didn't have time!:winky:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Free fall

He will love it, but this is just the start. I was last intake of national service and was in 2 para. Did 12 take offs but no landings, well not in a plane any way. Am to old and brittle now, but still jealous of him,, good luck. Best wishes, froghopper

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
How fabulous and what a brave boy. As a mum, I'd be running all over the place with a mattress for him to land on. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Dont miss it Jim, if you get the chance go and watch , i did with my son 20 years ago and i still remember the feelings i had that day ,i was frightened to death but got a great feeling watching that chute open .I had to run to the loo to wipe my eyes as must have got some dust in them lol. GO FOR IT.:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Oh I do remember similar feelings a long time ago when daughter and a lot of her friends in Young Farmers decided to do a parachute jump for charity - a weekend of training and then they started the jumps in 4's - there were 17 of them and they drew lots to see what order they went in. Daughter ended up No 17 :RollEyes: - by the time the 5th group had gone up the weather and wind was too bad for her to jump so we had to go back for her to jump a couple of weeks on when the weather was right so in the end she did the jump - on her own and I had to watch while she floated down and landed ------ in the wrong field due to a breeze starting up after she jumped. :Eeek:

Hope he enjoys himself :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Brings back lots of memories from my days of being a jump pilot all over the UK dropping students and army demo parachute teams.

Good luck James and a smooth landing on the spot!:thumb:

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
jumping out of a perfectly good plane and then not opening your parachute, yup sounds daft enough to be his fathers son:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hope all goes well have a good day James, there will only ever be one first time.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Because you know full well, that he will now proceed with a life of an adrenalin junkie!

Friends daughter did a charity jump, which got her into sky diving - and a whole host of other extreme sports. She now travels the world on every adrenalin fuelled mad idea that comes out!

Andy has now given up worrying after years of nail biting - You'll do the same! He will love it!:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Too long ago to remember !!

On my very first day of jump school at Shobdon ,Johnny Boxall was the instructor along with Jim Sharples ! .........

The very first thing they did was to hump a C9 Canopy onto the table and said.....

This is a device to save lives ....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Think on that !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Jim he's probably down safely by now and arranging his next one. Hope all went well I kind of know how you feel Sophie has always wanted to do a skydive and now she's turned 16 she's talking about it more. We have done tandem paragliding off a mountain in Annecy and abseiling in the dordonge while doing this Lorraine was in tears watching her little girl come down this thin little rope. I don't know why she was worried it had just held her :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: maybe she thought she had weakened it :ROFLMAO:

Sophie has mentioned doing a bungee jump this year on holiday not to sure if I'm up for that.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it will be a love or hate thing.....

he will either land and never want to do it again or more likely cost his dad a fortune in club / flight fees.

As he was that determined to save and complete this i have little doubt it will be the latter.... another reason to be proud of him... not that you need reasons:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just had a call from a very excited James. Kept on the ground by the weather all day yesterday, he just completed his first jump. An exit height of 14,000 he passed level one and level two is up in few minutes::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: atta boy:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back