Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Hi, im really looking for a bit of help. Im off to spain via dover calais on 24th July.
I have been looking at various routes and would like some advise as to which way to go. I want to cross the border by Perpignan.
I have mercedes 307d 3.5t hopefully under 3 metres (need to measure it) So should be class 2 on tolls but have heard automatic tolls may charge class3 rate.
Our van is quite slow so we dont really want lots of steep hills. I do not mind paying some toll costs. Im looking for a motorhome friendly route that will not cost a fortune.
Can anyone give me an idea on toll costs and a good way to go:Cool:
Heading for Orange Grove Camper Park:Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There are many routes you could follow, we generally go scenic and follow good weather. This year we headed toward Lyon, nice city to visit if you have a spare day. We're just back from France with a similar van and the automatic tolls always charged class 2 for us. If you wish to avoid hills do not take the A75 Autoroute, even though it is free south of Clermont Ferrand, there are some big hills.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Thanks, I was looking at the Reims Dijon Lyon, Montpellier route. Any one know what the toll would be class 2?
Yes I think we went the A75 in a car last year, we did get a bit lost though so not too sure which route we did take but we ended up in the midi pyrenees:whatthe:
Im trying to keep the hills to a minimum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I would suggest via Rouen, Chartres, Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux, mainly toll free, then one big hill over the Pyrenees, to Zaragoza, toll but not very much, free motorway standard dual carriageway into Valencia, then motorway (toll) to Benidorm or N332, free but a bit winding in places.

Have done the trip twice a year for 14 years or so, when in a hurry I use the toll roads from Calais to Bordeaux but it does cost. You pays your money and takes your choice!:ROFLMAO:

Mike

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
I would suggest via Rouen, Chartres, Poitiers, Angouleme, Bordeaux, mainly toll free, then one big hill over the Pyrenees, to Zaragoza, toll but not very much, free motorway standard dual carriageway into Valencia, then motorway (toll) to Benidorm or N332, free but a bit winding in places.

Have done the trip twice a year for 14 years or so, when in a hurry I use the toll roads from Calais to Bordeaux but it does cost. You pays your money and takes your choice!:ROFLMAO:

Mike

Thanks Mike, How much does the toll cost Calais to Bordeaux

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks Mike, How much does the toll cost Calais to Bordeaux

Off the top of my head, about 100 euros. If you use the mototway to Poitiers (for speed) you can go onto the N10 towards Angouleme and then into Bordeaux. It is toll free with only a few non dual carriageway sections, time travel compared with autoroute hardly any difference. Very convenient aire in Nersac if stopping in that area.

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Cheers its not so much the speed im looking for as we wont be going very fast its just im trying to avoid lots of roundabouts and narrow streets etc...
We leave 24th july and we are booked on site for 27th providing we get there lol
I will look up the aires is it in the book? Thanks

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Cheers its not so much the speed im looking for as we wont be going very fast its just im trying to avoid lots of roundabouts and narrow streets etc...
We leave 24th july and we are booked on site for 27th providing we get there lol
I will look up the aires is it in the book? Thanks

In that case I would definitely use the non toll route through France, it is main roads so you won't need to worry about narrow streets etc. i think Nersac is in the book but mine is in the motorhome storage at the moment. If you can't find it let me know. Just remembered - there are narrow streets involved in getting to the aire, but only a couple of hundred yards, wasn't a problem in my Hymer A class.

Mike

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Thanks Mike, How big is the big hilll to zaragoza though? also do you recommend any other aires on the route Cheers

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks Mike, How big is the big hilll to zaragoza though? also do you recommend any other aires on the route Cheers

It's one big climb out of Donostia onto the tops but you can take it steady and you will find it is not really a problem. Much better than taking the road via Barcelona which in my experience is risking your security, I won't go that route ever again.

There is an excellent aire on the motorway at Baie de La Somme, about 40 miles from Calais if you want to stop for the night after your crossing. After that it is very much down to where you are at the time you want to stop. As we often travel when the aires are shut we use the car park area of the services, in sight of the shop/kiosk and have never had a problem. If you stop at Sobradiel services just before Zaragoza, park in the coach spaces and you will be fine. Easy final leg then.

Have a good trip.:Smile:

Mike

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
Thanks, Im still not sure which way to go :Doh:Is crossing at san sebastion better than the A75 route? Im a bit concerned about these mountains

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks, Im still not sure which way to go :Doh:Is crossing at san sebastion better than the A75 route? Im a bit concerned about these mountains

I have done it in a very underpowered Compass many years ago without any problems, with a Hymer towing a Smart car on a trailer and again Hymer towing a Smart on an A frame. It is a nice, wide motorway standard road with quite level sections in places through tunnels, spectacular viewpoint where you can pull in for a cuppa if you wish, it isn't really that steep, just fairly long. Really wouldn't worry about it, the 44 tonne lorries certainly don't!:Smile:

The Clermont Ferrand route has lots of inclines so on balance I think you are better off via San Sebastian.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

we did the A75 a few years ago in a 1999 2.5 turbo Ducato.

the hills through the massif central arent exactly steep, they aint gently rolling either, but they are long......the longer ones called for 3rd gear occasionally.

the French dont bother levelling the hills and filling the valleys :Doh: they just build a road on whatever is there.

we returned via Andorra la ville on the CG2 and over the Port d'Envalira mountain pass and through Pass de la casa into france on the N22.

you could take the d'envalira tunnel through the mountain which cuts out the longest and biggest climb.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
If you come up as anything other than Class 2 on the automatic tolls then just press the button to speak to an operator and say "classe deux camping car" and the amount will be changed.

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
After much deliberation im now thinking, Calais, Rouen, chatres, orleans, vierzon, limoges, toulouse, narbonne and into spain.

Can anyone give me an idea on the tolls this way and also if my large slow van might come across any problems :thumb:

6 days to go and we are off, Woo Hoo!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Speed, schmead ! who cares !

Off the top of my head, about[HI] 100 euros. [/HI] If you use the mototway to Poitiers (for speed) you can go onto the N10 towards Angouleme and then into Bordeaux. It is toll free with only a few non dual carriageway sections, time travel compared with autoroute hardly any difference. Very convenient aire in Nersac if stopping in that area.

There's 100 reasons not to use the Autoroutes ! plus, you miss the opportunity of staying in great little villages on the N roads !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
After much deliberation im now thinking, Calais, Rouen, chatres, orleans, vierzon, limoges, toulouse, narbonne and into spain.

Can anyone give me an idea on the tolls this way and also if my large slow van might come across any problems :thumb:

6 days to go and we are off, Woo Hoo!

I've been to Valras plage a few days ago and I paid 14,50 from Toulouse to Valras BY CAR .

When you really know which way you want to take send me a PM I'll give the toll a call to have the exact price for a class 2 from Calais to the French frontier. Tell me as well if you need a stopover (free), JJ should be at my place by then and we could all have a drink! I'll be still working so can't go too late to bed or I am useless with the babies the next day.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
dark side of the moon
Funster No
MH
mercedes 307D
Exp
I've been to Valras plage a few days ago and I paid 14,50 from Toulouse to Valras BY CAR .

When you really know which way you want to take send me a PM I'll give the toll a call to have the exact price for a class 2 from Calais to the French frontier. Tell me as well if you need a stopover (free), JJ should be at my place by then and we could all have a drink! I'll be still working so can't go too late to bed or I am useless with the babies the next day.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:
Thankyou Frankie:thumb: I will send you a PM, Whereabouts are you?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Ok didn't wait for your answer and just gave a call!
So from Calais to Rouen : 12,10
next is 3,10
next is 4,50
next is 12,00
next is FREE
next is 23,70
next includes from Toulouse to Narbonne and Narbonne to Perpignan: 24,90

There you are ! Class 2 and as you've been told if you are charged for class 3 You have to press button called "AIDE" or "APPEL" the cam will measure your vehicule and correct the toll class

Hope this helps

Enjoy your travels!

Frankie:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back