dordogne?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi all , i am heading east from bergerac tomorrow following the dordogne river. does anyone know of any nice aires or must see stops, info would be gratefully appreciated. all the best sean:Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sarlat is a nice town and I believe there is an aire nearby Lynda is doing a reccy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
There is one right in the town center of Sarlat, it gets busy and just really a car park but ideal for visiting the town as its only a couple of minutes walk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There's a good site at St Foye le Grande that is owned by a family from Clitheroe Lanc's. Highly recommended. Good swimming pool to cool off as well.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
N44-53.747 E001---12.747 15 mins. from Sarlat but busy aire and need to arrive early

Domme N44-48.050 E001--13.300 500 metres from a hilltop town

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
31-245 Rue de la RĂ©publique, 24260 Le Bugue, France

We had 2 days here on river side biggest aires I have seen clean tidy
And 10 minute walk into town good bars and restaurants

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sarlat-la-Caneda has an aire a little way up the hill from the old town centre, next to the cemetery with what looks like greenhouses in it. It's the first photo in my mapped aire panorama gallery (see link in signature below).

Other aires we have used and would recommend are:

La Roque-Gageac - small aire but nice location for river walks, kayaking and Gabare rides. Aire photo available as above. PS - if you've got a jerry can don't pay for water - use the nearby drinking fountain on the path by the river.

Les Eyzies de Tayac Sirieul - prehistoric capital of France with the Abri Pataud shelter and the Font de Gaume cave art well worth a look, although the latter has a limit on visitors per day, so arrive early. The national museum of Prehistory is in the village. Aire is down by the Vezere river where the rail bridge crosses - best approached from the village centre and not down the narrow lane leading off the main road bridge. Aire photo available as above.

Beynac et Cazenac allows free overnight MH parking in the coach section of their main car park which is on the road running up the gulley beside the chateau in the centre of the village. No services.

Aires we've seen in the area:

Castellnaud la Chapelle permits overnight MH parking in the parking area above the village but much of it is on a slope. I think they were building loos there at Easter but it's still probably better to drive on to Beynac or Roque-Gageac. Nice chateau at Castellnaud with some reconstructed siege engines and lovely views along the valley.

At Roque Sainte Christophe (site of the unusual medieval troglodyte village in a cliff face) you're allowed to stop overnight for free in the car park, but there's no services and it's a bit off the beaten track.

If you want to see some excellent cave art I can highly recommend a drive to the caves at Rouffignac. It's the real thing, whereas Lascaux is a reconstruction.

We visited all of the above places at Easter so it's still very fresh in the memory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
thanks all , its nice to get a heads up so i dont miss too much!! info much appreciated

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
There is a nice Aires at Montfort 10 mins south from Sarlat, if you follow the road passed the Aire to the river there is a campsite with another Aires. Next to the river and with a small beech area.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Later, on your northward journey why not visit Puy Du Fou? It's not far from Cholet and I am raving about it to anyone who will listen (and probably some that won't)

It's fabulous!

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back