Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
How much power is a commonly asked question, when running via an inverter the power required is double that listed to allow for startup current on a lot of things.
The number of amps drawn from your battery is W(atts) divided by V(olts in this case 12V)

I hope the table is useful in answering some questions. As your batteries are given as amp/hrs the battery capacity divided by answer from the above will tell you how long a particular applience will run from your battery but do remember batteries should only be used down to 50% so a 110amp/hr battery has a useful charge of 55amp/hours

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How much power is a commonly asked question, when running via an inverter the power required is double that listed to allow for startup current on a lot of things.
The number of amps drawn from your battery is W(atts) divided by V(olts in this case 12V)

I hope the table is useful in answering some questions. As your batteries are given as amp/hrs the battery capacity divided by answer from the above will tell you how long a particular applience will run from your battery but do remember batteries should only be used down to 50% so a 110amp/hr battery has a useful charge of 55amp/hours

I'd ignore the figures for any electronics. They appear to be circa-1990. 500W for a TV? Really? A typical 32" TV these days takes about 40W. The 800W for a desktop computer would be more like 200W these days, unless it is a high end gaming machine. 50W for a radio is pretty spectacular, unless it had a built in heater. 2W might be more normal, unless you like it loud.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd ignore the figures for any electronics. They appear to be circa-1990. 500W for a TV? Really? A typical 32" TV these days takes about 40W. The 800W for a desktop computer would be more like 200W these days, unless it is a high end gaming machine. 50W for a radio is pretty spectacular, unless it had a built in heater. 2W might be more normal, unless you like it loud.

was thinking the same thing myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Well, there you go!

Thanks to Wildman for posting it though, as it did lead to some more up-to-date figures. :thumb:

I don't suppose anyone's got a similar chart that's more current*, then?

Steve :Smile:

*pun unintended, but I like it anyway

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009

Interesting! Looking at the list though, I reckon (apart from LED lighting and the water pump) we only use a laptop, 15" TV and a travel DVD out of that lot.

Can't imagine anyone using anything off the DIY list in their van while away.

*stands back in anticipation of the next post being someone who trims hedges regularly when travellling*

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Interesting! Looking at the list though, I reckon (apart from LED lighting and the water pump) we only use a laptop, 15" TV and a travel DVD out of that lot.

Can't imagine anyone using anything off the DIY list in their van while away.

*stands back in anticipation of the next post being someone who trims hedges regularly when travellling*

:roflmto:

As I posted recently we have (on the entertainments side):

Nintendo Wii.
Xbox.
Xbox 360.
Two Playstation Portables.
Flat screen TV.
Two laptops and a desktop PC.
Various tablets and smartphones.
Washing machine and spindrier.
Macerator to empty 350 litres of waste every ten days or so.

Then we have, on the DIY side,:

Angle grinder
Electric saw
Air compressor and tools
Hammer drill
And much more

There are even the Christmas tree and fairy lights in a locker somewhere. :Smile:

Last edited:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Then we have, on the DIY side,:

Angle grinder
Electric saw
Air compressor and tools
Hammer drill
And much more

There are even the Christmas tree and fairy lights in a locker somewhere. :Smile:

I guess that's only to be expected from someone who by their own admission drives a "wheeled shed" :roflmto:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
'The Wheelèd Shed', in fact.

The grave accent makes all the difference ::bigsmile:

If a grave accent is anything like a Scottish one, that'll be a Wee Lead Shed then?

I'll get me coat...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back