7" Truck Sat Nav - The story so far (1 Viewer)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I thought that you may be interested in my experiences with the 7" truck sat nav that I bought from Navibuzz.

I received the unit from them 7 days after ordering they did not dispatch until 5 days after order.

The unit as received had the following problems (in my view):

Maps and application dated from early 2011 so were out of date.

The speed warning function was not correct. It shows speed limit of 48 in a 30 mph area and does not warn until you are doing 48!!

It does not save user settings for colour scheme on exit so had to reset them each time the sat nav was started.

I was in two minds as to returning the unit there and then, but thought I would see if I could fix it.

The first port of call was there map update site. I downloaded "new" maps but found that they were the same as the ones on the unit as received. I contacted Navibuzz there response was that they updated the maps regularly and a new set would be available within a month.

I could not find any way of correcting the speed warning error the response from navibuzz was to set the speed when warning limit at 60% it would still display the speed limit as 48 but warn at 30!

Not saving user settings needed a change to the application.

So should I send it back - I battled onwards.

Looking around the web I found a newer version of the application and a set of truck maps dated Q4 2012. (probably pirated!) I downloaded this and installed it on the SD card so that I did not alter the delivered unit. This solved all the problems.

I will be interested to see what Navibuzz put on there update site next moth whether they will be newer that the ones I now have.

The next challenge was loading bulk custom POI files. I found the answer relatively easily on the web. The POI files have to be in .kml (google earth) format and have to be copied to a content/userdata/poi folder. I have downloaded and installed the ACSI Card and Aires poi and they work.

So I have ended up with a satnav that is quite impressive I love the large screen and the application has a number of facilities that I have yet to explore.

I am currently trying to install text to speak voices to announce road names will let you know if I am successful.

I shall be at Malvern so if anyone wants to have a look I'll be glad to show you.

Hope this is useful

Lunarman

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Text to Speech now working

I now have the text to speech working so have the option of road names being announced if I want.

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
more patience than me.....

I would have returned it in person and told them what a load of shite their product was.

Might as well have sent you a kit of parts to build and program yourself instead of a product you could use straight from the box.

Extremely shoddy product and aftercare service in my book.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
do these type of sat navs have lane guidence or is that just a tom tom thing ? regards garry

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Trying to update my maps but not having much success. The Pnavi site just has the 2011 ones still (Navibuzz say they expect newer ones at end of the month)

Are there any alternative links?

Wyn

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If two yearly updates are deemed regular, Ill stick with my TT 6" with free life map updates 4 x a year:thumb:
TT is now giving free life updates on quite a few models now.

Due I believe to the release of their 3 d maps which in my mind is just a cartoon gimick

The shape of the building might help with the odd left and right turns, but do you really have time to study building shapes s well as roads:Doh:
G

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
lunarman have you checked you are on miles and not km ?

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Just returned from 10 week trek using this is truck sat nav almost exclusively. An interesting experience, a handy "toy" but not a serious contender, so the market leaders need not be afraid of this one. Far to many idiosyncracies to deal with, Pappajohn got it right in his post, does not jump out of box ready to go.

Problems?

Out of date maps, and likely to remain so for foreseeable future warning us while on motorway that we were "off road". Road has been there 8 years to my certain knowledge.

With truck settings chosen and programmed this unit tried to take us over inappropriate routes, but warned us that a 6 lane motorway was contrary to truck settings and we should find alternate route!!

Country settings data, re speed limits etc., inaccurate with alarms going off when within limits....... switched alarms off!

Could go on but simply repeat "handy toy" and recommend you spend your money elsewhere because in this case you really do "get what you pay for".. what do you expect for £78(circa) ?

Regards, Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hope this is useful

Lunarman

It's an inspiration to many. Sling it back or persevere.

If it was cheap you probably did the right thing and well done.

If it wasn't cheap then you let them off the hook to scam others.

Plan B for anyone else with a bit of go in them and wanting cheap(ish) satnav is
find a suitable android phone or tablet and download one of the free programs. Finding a 7" tablet with GPS is a bit difficult and top end of the price range but if phone size is OK then ebay should source a suitable phone at a reasonable price. Android phones are just compact tablets.

The Tardis2

Free Member
Jan 11, 2013
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Since 2008
Looking around the web I found a newer version of the application and a set of truck maps dated Q4 2012. (probably pirated!) I downloaded this and installed it on the SD card so that I did not alter the delivered unit. This solved all the problems.
I have a 7" screen satnav with IGo software if your the same I'd be interested in how you got above update

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
mine which came from china and quite a few others have bought gives me no trouble at all its took me to spain portugal poland germany czech and loads more places in the uk well worth the money also dont forget it has its own poi u do a custom search of the place u are going to then put in accommodation,camping and it find most places around that area

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2G (GSM) network only though Brian.

Also "The Android OS version on this device cannot be upgraded or flashed and any attempts to modify the default OS will void the warranty."

Yes but this is a GPS thread, I'm considering it to be a cheap 5" tablet with GPS. Forget the phone bit.

Android 4 will be fine for GPS.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have a 7" screen satnav with IGo software if your the same I'd be interested in how you got above update

Me too!

Wyn

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Fair enough. For 15 quid more I just got a TomTom with lifetime map upgrades and 1 year live traffic.

Depends what each of us wants I suppose.

Can't argue with that. Seriously good deal.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Pretty please? :Blush:

Wyn

Wyn andTardis2,

I have not ignored your pleas, I am just thinking of the best way of getting the information together. How computer savvy are you do you can you download torrents? If you were going to Malvern it would be easy.

lunarman

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
lunarman - I'm off to France next week and have the same unit. I'm looking to update the map of France (currently has the one that it came with installed). I'm not very tech savvy, so is there a relatively easy way to update the map? Thanks

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
Wyn andTardis2,

I have not ignored your pleas, I am just thinking of the best way of getting the information together. How computer savvy are you do you can you download torrents? If you were going to Malvern it would be easy.

lunarman

could you zip them/it (the file) and pm it/them. if you can add me to the list
Thank you:thumb:

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
lunarman - I'm off to France next week and have the same unit. I'm looking to update the map of France (currently has the one that it came with installed). I'm not very tech savvy, so is there a relatively easy way to update the map? Thanks

When are you going and are you using the severn bridge?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

Just returned from 4 weeks round France using the unit's original maps - no problems, the roads haven't changed much! Having said that it's always nice to know you're as up to date as you can be.

Wyn

Dai Howells

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I'm a newbie
lunarman yes I'll be going over the Severn bridge, then down to Plymouth/Roscoff, then southern Brittany:Smile:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
What Application Version?

John,

You say you have updated the application as well as the maps - what version of application have you now got?

The version as delivered to me is 9.2.191493, dated May 11 2011.

Thanks

DNA :thumb:

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class