Taken from "Out and about" website re: gas attacks (1 Viewer)

G1DOL

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
West Oxford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Started 2011
This might have been posted before but I couldn't find it..........

Since this debate rattles on from time to time, with much deliberation over how and what, I thought I'd try to get an expert view on the feasibility of using narcotic gases to knock out the occupante of motorhomes/caravans.
Since they do this all the time, so to speak, I thought I'd ask the Royal College of Anaesthetists. Somewhat to my surprise, they provided the following reply. Interesting isn't it? Sleep tight folks!
Dear Mr Kirby,
Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor, has given the following previous comments:
"I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.
There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege - I advised the BBC on their programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which is not available outside the KGB!
Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported."
I hope this information is helpful to you.
The Royal College of Anaesthetists

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The royal college is talking rubbish. What about copious amounts of cote de Rhone and Rioja. Both very inebriating.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, it has been posted before...

Whether it is a confirmed letter or not is not an issue as the content is completely logical and true.

To use sufficient anaesthetic gas to render an adult unconscious in a motor home would be enough to kill a small child.....when did anyone last here of a child being killed by gas ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The royal college is talking rubbish. What about copious amounts of cote de Rhone and Rioja. Both very [STRIKE]inebriating[/STRIKE] anesthetising.

and the primary cause of many suspected gas attacks.

Enough alcohol will allow you to sleep though anything...including being robbed.
Anyway, The burglars ain't going to stomp around making lots of noise, are they !

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
I believe they use one of these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD4k148YcDU"]Motorhome bandits weapon of choice[/ame]

Steve :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just click on search in the buttons at the top of the page and type Royal College of Anaesthetists for a whole list of the threads where this has been discussed and posted before

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
SELF ENDUCED AND EMBARRASSED COMES TO MIND. PROPER INTERNAL LOCKS AND YOU ARE SAFE AS HOUSES.::bigsmile: BUSBY.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I come on here so I do not have to read endless drivel posted by mr Kirby who has the answer for everything:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I posted about this back in 2009 before I went fulltiming. I did a search to find out if it was worth spending/wasting money on a gas alarm.

http://www.fulltiming.info/motorhom...ilst-sleeping-in-motorhome-in-france-or-spain

I even gave a link to the Royal College of anaesthetists.

Here is the Link Removed... Straight from the horses mouth. Issued in 2007 (I am surprised this is still being asked about)

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
While out in our MH this weekend I had 2 glasses of Vin Rouge yesterday with my dinner at about 6.30, went to bed about 10.00. OH told me this morning that he got up 4 times during the night and I never heard him once. Just shows - tired enough, sleep through anything ::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
As previous post has said it's been done to death, it's a load of tosh, you will always find someone who knowns someone who's been gassed but to my mind it's too much drink and dodgy locks on their van. If there had been attacks of the sort reported it would be all over the press especially The Daily Mail.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I was gassed in ASDA , this woman in front of me in the Aisle farted continuously for about 10 metres before I could manover past her.:Sad:

Will I need to fit a gas alarm to my supermarket trolly in future?:Blush:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last time this came up , someone came on and said they knew someone on fun who had been gassed but they have never come forward

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can confirm that gassing does indeed take place inside MHs and campers! :Eeek:

It is much worse in a camper though ... 3 dogs can easily fill the place quite quickly with their farting after they've had their tea and if hubby joins in too ... POOOOOOOEEEEEEEE!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back