What computer for professional work? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Daughter needs help guys, boss has told her to come up with a computor spec which will handle the pictures from her new Canon 5D they have just bought her. Its 22.3 megapixel so needs to be something tasty ::bigsmile: It must also handle video's

IT CAN'T BE A MAC. That's orders from on high in the company, must be windows 64 bit. 7 or 8.

Any recommends please

Ian

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I could lie to you as requested but as a professional photographer the computer for photo editing is a mac, end of

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure if you are after a manufacturer or a spec. I will leave the manufacturer to others but for spec I would aim for

Intel i5 Quad core as will give you the most grunt for manipulating images. An i7 would be better still but the bump in performance for the price is not worth it in my view.

I would aim for 32GB of main memory with Dual Channel.

A 64GB SSD for OS and software (128GB better still) and a large hard disk for the data. I use the 4TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000

Any half decent graphics card will do the job as its not 3D work you don't need the highest spec.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I could lie to you as requested but as a professional photographer the computer for photo editing is a mac, end of

That's incorrect.. And limited by design.. As a professional who works with a design company..

But on a lighter note you can't go far wrong with a top end one of these
Dell XPS.
Lenovo think pad
Dell precision

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
They have just bought her a 23" monitor so should she be looking for a tower/desktop rather than a lappy?

Ian

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Those laptops are plenty good enough.. At home she can just plug the monitor in.. With the advantage of mobility.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The business software houses are deserting the Mac. Adobe are the last real software company that provide decent pro software for Macs. For Accounts, and contact management you have to use Windows.

I use my imac for photo and video now, that's about it. If i want to write, research, look after customers, look for new ones etc. Windows 7 is king.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Ah the preferences debate.

I wouldnt have intel anything....AMD is faster and cheaper
I wouldnt have anything with DELL on it either....or Sony...(except my PS3)

So the debate rages on.....

For pic handling....BIG hard drive - but this is de rigeur these days...

As much onboard memory as you can cram in the OS..8GB min if you handling decent handler software for image processing.

A decent graph card with at least DVI HDMI output - possibly dual output for ease of use....1 just doesnt cut it :winky:

A nice ergonomic mouse with good DPI and dark field laser (works on any surface) - especially if working on touching up images in detail etc.

just my twopenneth worth :Blush:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would also add a dual head graphics card, that way she can run two monitors with the list/folder of photos on one side, and an 'opened' photo one on the other - makes it much easier - the 'folder' monitor doesn't have to be 23", a smaller one would do nicely, I used to do this at work and have a dual monitor set-up at home too.:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ah the preferences debate.

I wouldnt have intel anything....[HI]AMD is faster and cheaper[/HI]
I wouldnt have anything with DELL on it either....or Sony...(except my PS3)

So the debate rages on.....

For pic handling....BIG hard drive - but this is de rigeur these days...

As much onboard memory as you can cram in the OS..8GB min if you handling decent handler software for image processing.

A decent graph card with at least DVI HDMI output - possibly dual output for ease of use....1 just doesnt cut it :winky:

A nice ergonomic mouse with good DPI and dark field laser (works on any surface) - especially if working on touching up images in detail etc.

just my twopenneth worth :Blush:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That was true once. The only advantage AMD have these days is either at the really cheap end or if you want to use the inbuilt GPU. On CPU performance and power efficiency Intel is 2 process nodes ahead of AMD and getting further an further ahead.

I used to be an AMD fan but Intel have pretty much killed AMD these days.

7 months ago I did a full scout around for the best CPU giving the most punch per £ spent and ended up with the Intel i5-3570.

There has been a recent update to intels line and the Haswell now blows the Vishera from AMD away in the mid range and as usual the high end.

At the bottom end AMD still offers good value but not as much of a spread these days as there used to be.

If I was buying today I would be looking for a quad Intel i5 Haswell and spend around £150 on the CPU. This would give me 6+ years if not longer.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That was true once. The only advantage AMD have these days is either at the really cheap end or if you want to use the inbuilt GPU. On CPU performance and power efficiency Intel is 2 process nodes ahead of AMD and getting further an further ahead.

I used to be an AMD fan but Intel have pretty much killed AMD these days.

7 months ago I did a full scout around for the best CPU giving the most punch per £ spent and ended up with the Intel i5-3570.

There has been a recent update to intels line and the Haswell now blows the Vishera from AMD away in the mid range and as usual the high end.

At the bottom end AMD still offers good value but not as much of a spread these days as there used to be.

If I was buying today I would be looking for a quad Intel i5 Haswell and spend around £150 on the CPU. This would give me 6+ years if not longer.

Duly noted...still 12months before i replace this Quad....I have always used AMD, but looks like theyre losing the money race...shame.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Over the years have tried most makes of computer - the one that has stood the test of time as being the most reliable with the best and quickest service back up is Dell - cannot spout about best operating system etc but the one with consistently the least problems and we have 4 of them in service is the Dell regardless of age.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Over the years have tried most makes of computer - the one that has stood the test of time as being the most reliable with the best and quickest service back up is Dell - cannot spout about best operating system etc but the one with consistently the least problems and we have 4 of them in service is the Dell regardless of age.

There are always good and bad for any product - glad they work for you. I have 3 on the shelf here that never worked right from the get go. Its what the kids wanted...but they moved to tablets now...

I have a sony thats just slowly fallen to pieces....total crap.

I have 3 HP's that have been outstanding, with just one HD failure after 4 years.
I have an old Asus that works for web browsing - but its just too slow for anything else...and XP is looking very dated now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back