Free Member
Jul 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RV 5th wheeler
Exp
since 2012
does anyone know anything about the legalities on brakes as we have been told that we have to change the brakes on our Iveco to air brakes as the electronic brakes are not legal in the UK??
will be grateful for any answers :cry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Interesting, my unit uses the electro-mag braking system on the 5ver, and so do many others I know.
I know the welsh company that does 5vers fit air brakes to their units so you have to have a unit fitted to the pickup, and they up-rate the pickup to give payload
It is a legal requirement to have a manually operated handbrake though

OP
OP
T

Tina 5th wheeler

Free Member
Jul 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RV 5th wheeler
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Chatter
we have an independent hand brake, that is not a problem. We have the magnetic brakes and they work perfectly but now Vosa are saying because its now an artic it has to have air brakes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed

According to this if the max weight is less than 3500k then electric brakes are allowed, over this different regs apply.

vwalan is the expert on this and will undoubtedly answer soon.

What is the max weight of your unit, how are VOSA now involved ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
electronic brakes havent got eu certification as fgar as i know . there is a delay in the actual functioning of them .
not all though . lynton used a system that pulls on cables on some of their commercial trailers .inline actuator worked off the hydraulic pipes .
or air system like mine .
electric 12v/24v gast air compressor fills a tank on truck there is a control valve that taps into the hydraulic twin systems on the truck .this then allows air to put the brakes on .
its a bit more complex but easily sorted .
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....rican-caravan-trailer-brakes-and-coupling.pdf
this might help but is a bit vague.
it only becomes an artic if at least 20%of the load of the trailer when laiden is imposed on the towing vehicle .
mine transfers 50%of trailer weight .most 5er campers dont transfer enough .

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi - Welcome to fun - why are VOSA involved ??? How old is the 5'er and what is its gross weight ?? Finally what are you using as the motive power ?? All have a bearing on the answer

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vosa can be involved if you have a garage area .as then its a living van .
mine is a living van as i built a garage and carry a m,bike .
living vans upto 3,500kg dont get moted but if over that weight then are moted .
we need more weights etc to give a more acurate answer.
but caravans in uk arent moted .
i assume it is a camper trailer not a commercial trailer you are using .

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tina 5th wheeler

Free Member
Jul 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RV 5th wheeler
Exp
since 2012
I will try to post a picture, but it is just a caravan for holidays to be used as a tourer, the trailer is 6,200kgs and the Iveco is a 6, an half tonner with a train weight of 10,000, the MOT ran out and they are saying because its over 3,500kgs it has to go for a hgv plating, therefore it has to comply with the same rules as a goods artic?

Attachments

• Blackburn with Darwen-20121128-01109.jpg
    Blackburn with Darwen-20121128-01109.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0549.jpg
    PICT0549.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I will try to post a picture, but it is just a caravan for holidays to be used as a tourer, the trailer is 6,200kgs and the Iveco is a 6, an half tonner with a train weight of 10,000, the MOT ran out and they are saying because its over 3,500kgs it has to go for a hgv plating, therefore it has to comply with the same rules as a goods artic?

something is amiss here....

You say a train weight of 10000kg

The truck is 6500kg gross

The trailer is 6200kg gross

That's 12700kg.....2700kg over your train weight

or am I missing something ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the unit needs testing but not the trailer . should be ok just to get an mot with the brakes unless you have a hand control in the cab . thats not allowed .
can you let me have the vosa station name .
also as it been moted before as a tractor unit and has a body modification notice vg10 ever been sent in .
there are exemptions for somethings like pulling a living van . but living vans over 3,500kg need motting and wont be with leccy brakes .
john artics different rules . it would be a motor tractor with no load area so its all different .
mines 6.3 ton with a train of 9.8ton but can easily pull a 6.8ton trailer if i wanted to.
the train weight is important ,but so long as the truck isnt overloaded when hooked to trailer its ok .
only train is used as a total weight not an addition of both .
most iveco artics get down plated to 3.5ton so they can drive on a b+e licence . yes even pulling a trailer that weight .

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tina 5th wheeler

Free Member
Jul 10, 2013
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RV 5th wheeler
Exp
since 2012
5er

John, the gvw is a 6 an half tonner but as it is "empty" is would only weigh a couple of ton, our maximum train weight is 10 tonne there fore with the tractor and trailer we are probably running at just over 9 ton so we will be easily under the weight.
VWAlan, thanks for your message, we have sent in the form to change the body type, from a box van, we had to tell them exactly what it was going to be used for and then they would re" type" the vehicle so that we could get it tested. I have been waiting on them for about 7 weeks, so I chased them up yesterday, I rang the offices I think at Swansea and was told that they would not approve it because the electric brakes do not meet uk criteria.
The trailer is just 12 months old and does have a park brake fitted.

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
brakes

does anyone know anything about the legalities on brakes as we have been told that we have to change the brakes on our Iveco to air brakes as the electronic brakes are not legal in the UK??
will be grateful for any answers :cry:
yes its true mate electronic brakes arnt good in my opinion electronics not a good system for brakes the air system is much safer if the coupling brakes in transit the trailor brakes come on with electronic brakes your relying on electronic to fail safe the brakes.does this makes sence.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi shuggy , different air system . red line gets the air ready to push the brakes on at the rear of trailerwith a tank of air to apply brakes . ..yellow line is controlled by an hydraulic to air acctuator .this is controlled by the brake pedal . then air goes to another actuator at rear of trailer that opens a valve that applies the redline to apply the brakes .
the red line sits waiting . yellow applies it . different to air on truck and trailer big jobbies .
i got mixed up when i first came across them .

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
brakes

hi shuggy , different air system . red line gets the air ready to push the brakes on at the rear of trailerwith a tank of air to apply brakes . ..yellow line is controlled by an hydraulic to air acctuator .this is controlled by the brake pedal . then air goes to another actuator at rear of trailer that opens a valve that applies the redline to apply the brakes .
the red line sits waiting . yellow applies it . different to air on truck and trailer big jobbies .
i got mixed up when i first came across them .
its the same difference wen the brakes apply the air brakes come on automatically with the electronic system who knows if u have a short circuit your in the hands of the electronics air system on trailors big or small air is best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back