Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
For those not familiar with Ramadan read on :)

The holy month of Ramazan (Ramadan) begins today Tuesday 9th July when observant Muslims will fast from sunrise to sunset. What is it all about and how could it affect you if you plan to go on holiday to Turkey/Morocco over that time?

Observing Ramazan, the holy month, is very important for Muslims worldwide as it is one of the five basic duties of the faith.

It is a time of fasting, prayer and celebration.

It is also a time for contemplation when people examine their own lives, understand the gift of eating when they feel like it and remind themselves of virtues such as charity, compassion and forgiveness.

Nil by Mouth
During the period between sunrise and sunset nothing will pass the lips – no food, drink, smoke or chewing gum.
Observant fasters will also not swim or shower during the daytime fast in case water passes the lips.
But, when the sun sets, the fast is broken and participants will celebrate with a feast known as the Iftar – ‘Break-fast’.

The date of Ramazan changes by 11 days each year (earlier) and this year it will begin on the night of Tuesday 9th July and end 30 days later on the evening of the 7th August.

At the end of Ramazan a three day holiday known as Seker Bayrami celebrates the end of the fast.

Why Does the Date Change?
Ramadan is always on the same day of the Islamic calendar. However, the date on the Gregorian calendar, the one we use, varies from year to year. This is because since the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar and the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar.
This difference means Ramadan moves in the Gregorian calendar approximately 11 days every year.
The date of Ramadan may also vary from country to country depending on whether the moon has been sighted or not. So in North America Ramadan starts a day later than in Turkey.

Ramazan Head
As the fast is now well into the summer months it will bring with it additional pressures of heat and a very long day.
Imagine not drinking any water in this heat and you'll soon understand the sacrifice people are putting themselves through.
Not only that but smokers will also be climbing the walls too without their fix of nicotine.
The Turks describe the side effects of fasting as Ramazan 'kafasi', or 'Ramazan Head' in English, that distant, irritable, and some may say, spaced out feeling of going without.

Be Prepared
Fethiye, Marmaris, Kusadasi and Bodrum are tourist areas so the locals make allowances for visitors.
In fact many tourists will probably be blissfully unaware of not only Ramazan but also that their waiters or other hotel staff are fasting.
You will see people (Tourists and some Turks) eating, drinking and smoking during the day, but it's good form to be considerate to those Turkish people who are fasting and do any consumption subtly.
This is particularly the case if you smoke - walking down the street puffing away isn't going to make you popular with those with a nicotine craving.
In more rural places, or traditional cities (like Konya) you need to be more vigilant.
Religious beliefs can be strong so don't let people see you eat/drink or smoke in public.
If you are travelling outside a tourist area you may find it difficult to find anywhere to eat during the day so take some food and drink with you.

A few things to watch out for:
Irritation

Some people fasting will be irritable especially in the first few days so be extra careful to be polite and respectful in your day to day dealings with people.

Crazy or Crazier Driving

Around dusk the hungry faster will speed home for their Iftar meal.

Hungry, dying for a fag and with low blood sugar their driving will be even more erratic than normal.

So be careful crossing the road or driving around about this time.

In fact try to avoid going out at this time and wait half an hour after sunset and you’ll have everywhere to yourself.

Special Foods

During the period of Ramazan, a special bread becomes available (called Pide) which is large and round and sprinkled with black cumin seeds. [These make great bases for French bread style pizza].

Supermarkets will also sell Ramazan hampers stocked with certain foods. These are given as gifts by employers to their staff.

Office Hours

Some business may have shorter opening hours during Ramazan so keep an eye out for signs advising of the times.

Restaurants

If you are travelling away from the popular resorts restaurants may only service one meal, the Iftar meal, at sunset and only with a reservation.

Those restaurants may also refuse to sell you alcohol.

If you don't want to go hungry plan ahead

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And be aware travelling to predominantly Muslim countries at the end of Ramadam. Slaughter of sheep and goats, often in the street. It is truly horrific.

My friends and co workers in The Gambia advised me never to visit then,knowing I'm vegetarian.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Channel 4 have told us,I'm off for a bacon sarnie!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
And be aware travelling to predominantly Muslim countries at the end of Ramadam. Slaughter of sheep and goats, often in the street. It is truly horrific.

My friends and co workers in The Gambia advised me never to visit then,knowing I'm vegetarian.

I think you are getting Ramadan mixed up with the Muslim ceremony of Eid al-Adha where the goats/sheep get slaughtered. It falls in October this year?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Wishing any muslim funsters a pleasant and peaceful ramadam and apologies in advance if we offer you food or drink during the fasting period.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi don . have some great times at mutton fest. have several oics of them . yes the streets run with blood . every head of every family or household must kill a sheep. daft idea but what a great party. been to several families houses when its on . the arabs and muslims are very sharing at times like that. not at all like we are told in the news etc . inshallah.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I worked in the Mid East 12 years and Eid el Fitr is the holiday at the end of the holy month of Ramadan and Eid el Adha is the one at the end of the Hajj. As far as I know the lucky sheep and goats don't have to wait but can be slaughtered for any celebration, including the Prophet's birthday.

Ramadan beginning and end is only determined by the sighting of the moon so it could be a day later starting and finishing, in theory.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think you are getting Ramadan mixed up with the Muslim ceremony of Eid al-Adha where the goats/sheep get slaughtered. It falls in October this year?

Might be just a Gambian thing, can't remember name of it but I was sure it was end of Ramadam, but my memory can be foggy! Whenever, I'd DEFINITELY avoid it. A veggies worst nightmare

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think I must be a little racist as it annoys me when people come here and expect not to live as we do, they fight one another in their own countries they go all over the world and want everyone to change

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, Christianity is a serious crime in Saudi Arabia but it is quite ok for some people to come here and............

....no, no. I had better stop. Let's just try and live and let live. Bad subject to discuss.

Whatever anyone thinks, we should still respect the holy month. I'm in a meeting with a friend here in Singapore tomorrow who is a Muslim and as usual will not drink in front of him whilst he is fasting. He has no problem with us drinking beer etc when out during the rest of the year even though his tipple is 7up on the rocks. So we respect in return.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Yes, Christianity is a serious crime in Saudi Arabia but it is quite ok for some people to come here and............

....no, no. I had better stop. Let's just try and live and let live. Bad subject to discuss.

Whatever anyone thinks, we should still respect the holy month. I'm in a meeting with a friend here in Singapore tomorrow who is a Muslim and as usual will not drink in front of him whilst he is fasting. He has no problem with us drinking beer etc when out during the rest of the year even though his tipple is 7up on the rocks. So we respect in return.

Christianity was never an issue in Saudi. Went to Church services several times in both Dhahran and Ras Tanura back in the day. In Tripoli, we went to the massive Cathedral for Christmas service and carols. Just saying!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
oh and christians dont go around fighting and forcing there wishes on folk . come on what did we have a british empire . actually i find almost every muslim country i have visited i can do as o want . i hand out watchtowers and awake magazines all the time .never had a problem .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think I must be a little racist as it annoys me when people come here and expect not to live as we do, they fight one another in their own countries they go all over the world and want everyone to change

I don't mind anyone having their own little foibles and traditions providing it doesn't impede on anyone else and they don't want any "special" treatment.

If they want to starve themselves in the name of their religion I don't think it has anything to do with anyone. However if during this fasting they get light headed and crash their car causing injury or death they ought to be punished heavily as it was foreseeable. They should not be allowed to use Ramadan fasting as an excuse for anything that any other normal person would not get away with.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
every country i have been in you could still buy beer or wine . in many whiskey was a good bartering tool .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If muslims are fasting, it means there will be less of a queue at the takeaway!::bigsmile:

Kebab anyone?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only during the day once the sun goes down look out .
street parties and eat as much as you can during the night .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Don Madge

Thanks Don for taking the trouble to research and post the info.

Irrespective of our views, it's an interesting read.
Cheers.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I see from the OP that driving standards are lower when people are hungry.

There must be an awful lot of Mums on the school run around here who skip breakfast.::bigsmile:

:hardhat:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I see from the OP that driving standards are lower when people are hungry.

There must be an awful lot of Mums on the school run around here who skip breakfast.::bigsmile:

:hardhat:

Not round here Chav school run starts with mum in Jim jams half dressed kids
Ten minutes late
kids with breakfast in hand mars bar packet of cheesy whatsits
Can of coke or for the more mature child fosters lite
(mum having snorted her coke at home)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb1uk
i wish it lasted 12 months were they dont eat or drink at all

thats not a very christian remark . shame on you .

Christian or not.. Its just not a nice post is it. Drags the forum down a bit...
Its very easy to be a keyboard warrior / troll.

Less easy to say positive things.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
bmb1uk;803079[STRIKE said:
]i wish it lasted 12 months were they dont eat or drink at all [/STRIKE]:thumb:

Seems a shame that so soon after Dons enlightening description
we get such a negative and frankly ridiculous post.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Christianity was never an issue in Saudi. Went to Church services several times in both Dhahran and Ras Tanura back in the day. In Tripoli, we went to the massive Cathedral for Christmas service and carols. Just saying!!

I beg to differ. The only place where I could go was the British consulate in the entire 12 years i worked there. Preaching Christianity in Saudi Arabia is punishable by the death penalty and at the Jeddah British School we could only put on the "Messiah" by calling it Handel's famous oratorio. Countless Filipinos have been jailed/beheaded for apostasy having been caught holding church services in buildings.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I beg to differ. The only place where I could go was the British consulate in the entire 12 years i worked there. Preaching Christianity in Saudi Arabia is punishable by the death penalty and at the Jeddah British School we could only put on the "Messiah" by calling it Handel's famous oratorio. Countless Filipinos have been jailed/beheaded for apostasy having been caught holding church services in buildings.

I also worked in the Middle East, all over, for 10 years and never ever had a problem with my religion. Not that I am a fanatic mind. All I ever did was attend the weekly services that are allowed under Islamic law. I would imagine if you were a preacher, your response would have been a bit different. Then again, if you came to Orkney and did the same thing, there would probably be a rise in the making of wicker baskets.:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I just want to say thank's to Don for highlighting the start of Ramadam.

I would like to add BMB1UK - shame on you, disgusting remark.

Do you know I'm a muslim?

No I'm not, but I could be?

And I'm sure in this age of culture and diversity there will be some Muslim person that's either looking to join a great Motorhome related forum if not already a member, that will be off. You truly don't represent the general good motorhoming public.

I'm sure Don being an extremely well travelled motorhome man was highlighting for the information of other travellers that may want to venture to some "Muslim" countries at this time, yet you choose to high jack it to show your racist views.

Here we go again :Angry:

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
ramadan

I remember when the record came out Rama Dama Ding Dong can't remember who made it though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back