How do I get UK channels? (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Finally managed to get our Cello TV working with our Satellite dome system, but can't get any UK channels. Really need some advice as we're losing the will to live over this! We have to take the Motorhome away from home to get any signal, so took a trip to Gorleston overlooking the sea this afternoon, in the hope that there'd be nothing blocking the satellite. Tuned it into Astra 2 and over a thousand channels were found, result, or so we thought, only to discover no UK channels. Can anyone explain what we need to do in words of just one or two syllables? We are completely ignorant about satellite TV. We do have the option of using a SKY box, but bought the Cello TV with integral receiver so would prefer to be able to leave the SKY box at home if we could just get free to view UK channels.:cry:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
A case of "you are on the wrong satellite" - either Astra 1 at 19 east or Hotbirds at 13 east.

Your dish is not on the UK TV "Astra 2" satellites at 28 east.

It is on another satellite - hence no UK TV channels.

Not too sure if using a Sky box will help, as the dish still has to be on the correct satellites for it to work....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sounds like you sat dish in your dome is pointing at the wrong satellite.

The TV will only tune the channels from whichever satellite the dish is pointing at. The Cello TV does not control your sat dish. Even if you tune in Astra 2 if the dish is pointing at Astra 1 that's what you will get.

Are the channels you are receiving predominately German? If so you are on Astra 19E.

You should have some sort of controller in the van for you sat dome which allows you to interchange between various satellites. Like this....
controlunitjpg.jpg

or

Broken Link Removed

Which model dome is it?

::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
OK, so we will try again using different satellite. Thank you so much for your advice, this has been so frustrating, not helped by the fact that we can't just go out into the MH and try different things, but have to drive somewhere with no obstacles for the signal.:Doh:

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
It's a KVH Tracvision R4SL

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There are several Funsters who are also suppliers / fitters of satellite systems and I'm sure one of them will be able to offer expert advice. I suggest you specify what sort of dome you have and how old it is.

Some domes, notably those made by WiWorld (Camos, Roadpro and a couple of other brands I cannot call to mind) have a separate control box that determines which 'bird' the dish is looking at. Others, such as the KVH Tracvision are controlled by the digital tuner/decoder through a process called DiSEqC (die-sec). If you have the former type, the dome-branded control box should have a selector for Astra2 (it doesn't matter much whether you choose Astra2 South or North - they are all in the same position). If you have the latter type, the satellite decoder and the dish in the dome have to be set up to work together.

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Its the 2nd type....I think. It seemed that you could determine the satellite used through the TV, which has integral satellite. Does that sound right?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's a KVH Tracvision R4SL

So you should have a control box to change satellite.

Just change it to 28E, once locked on you should get your UK channels coming in, though you may now need to retune your Cello TV if you have saved all the foreign channels under Astra 2.

::bigsmile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not an expert - and I have a Camos so it works differently to yours. I think you have to set the digital decoder in the TV to send a DiSEqC signal to the Tracvision. That is what tells the dome where to point. Have a look at the settings in the TV decoder menu and see if you have that option. More than that I cannot help with I'm afraid. Eddie Vanbitz (Funster) sells and installs Tracvision and may be able to offer some advice.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its the 2nd type....I think. It seemed that you could determine the satellite used through the TV, which has integral satellite. Does that sound right?

You can choose the satellite in your TV menu, however if the dish is pointing at the wrong sat, you will get the wrong channels.

The control box for the sat Dome will change the direction in which the dish actually points.

It may have options like Astra 1, Hotbird, Astra 2 , or 13E, 19E or 28E.
You want to set it to 28E or Astra 2 on the control box... then tune the TV once the dish is locked on to the chosen satellite.

Hope this is helping....::bigsmile:

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Thank you all for your help. I will contact Eddie Vanbitz through his internet site tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to point me in the right direction!:Smile:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
If I remember correctly, Cello TV with Sat. As long as the dish is pointing to Astra 2 and TV is on, press 'quick' or 'fastfind' on the remote, scroll to Satellite and press OK. Wait a few seconds and then press 'events' (yellow) twice to list all the channels.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think we have the same system.

We have the facility to switch satellites via the TV menu. Not sure if you do that by using the TV controller or the satellite controller. By " controller " I mean the hand held thingy.

If you haven't got a satellite controller you might need one.

Good luck.

jonathon7457

Free Member
Nov 13, 2013
kings lynn
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
satellite tv

hi all, I also have a cello satellite tv.
I recently bought this for my camper van. wired to a road pro sat dome.
I don't think I am tuning it in properly as I cant find channel 5 film 4 and most of the other channels available on free view. ive got bbc1-2-itv and channel 4, plus lots of locked sky channels.
can anyone point me in the right direction please.

the sat dome is automatic. I can toggle between satellites and have tried tuning on Astra 2.
I live in Norfolk.
the channels I do get are perfect picture so I know everything is working.
many thanks for any help.
Jon

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
freeview is terrestrial as opposed to freesat which is sat based, they do have channel differances.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Is it a new Cello TV?

Was the Cello supplied with the KVH? If so was the Cello set up to control the KVH?

Has it ever worked?

We'll try and get you sorted out lol

Eddie

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I don't think I am tuning it in properly as I cant find channel 5 film 4 and most of the other channels available on free view.
Not all channels on Freeview are available for free on satellite (eg Dave Watch).

ive got bbc1-2-itv and channel 4, plus lots of locked sky channels.
can anyone point me in the right direction please.
IF you have "bbc1-2-itv and channel 4, plus lots of locked sky channels" then you are on the correct satellite.

If you have Channel 4, then you should also have film4 - they are on the same satellite frequency!

Sounds like you need to so a satellite scan...to scan for all the channels.
And if your receiver has the option, turn on NIT, as this will update the receiver with any new frequencies that are found on the satellite...

and have tried tuning on Astra 2..
Well Astra 2 is the correct satellite for uK TV.

jonathon7457

Free Member
Nov 13, 2013
kings lynn
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Not all channels on Freeview are available for free on satellite (eg Dave Watch).

IF you have "bbc1-2-itv and channel 4, plus lots of locked sky channels" then you are on the correct satellite.

If you have Channel 4, then you should also have film4 - they are on the same satellite frequency!

Sounds like you need to so a satellite scan...to scan for all the channels.
And if your receiver has the option, turn on NIT, as this will update the receiver with any new frequencies that are found on the satellite...

Well Astra 2 is the correct satellite for uK TV.

firstly, thank you for you replies. its really appreciated.
also im trying to reply on here to everyone in the conversation. thought I was quite up on my gadgets until now.
previously I said freeview, my mistake. free sat.

I will have another go tomorrow in the daylight to tune it in. everything seems logical with what im doing/done.
switch on the box. motors whirr as it finds its satellite. I can toggle between satellites. light comes on to show locked, I can now turn the box off.
tv has a good picture. but only showing standard channels that we brits use. no sign of E4 more4. film4 channel 5 etc.
I have done some study on the internet this afternoon and it is saying that most the often watched channels are on astra1. and channel 5/5* etc are on astra2.
frustrating as everyone is indicating (including the makers of cello sat tv) that it should pick up all free sat channels.
also on studying the sat tv, it doesn't look like I have to set or re set anything for which ever satellite the dish is locked onto.
I will use the "quickfind" button tomorrow and see if theres a difference.
what ever the outcome i'll let you all know.
really is much appreciated.
many thanks.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Astra2 is currently playing with its transponders some make cope others don't talk yo Eddie van bitz he sells your setup and can/will talk you through it. There is lots of conflicting advice being given by people who are not taking current engineerinng matters into consideration.
All the programs you want ARE on Astra2d:thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I have done some study on the internet this afternoon and it is saying that most the often watched channels are on astra1. and channel 5/5* etc are on astra2.

Currently UK satellite TV comes from satellites at 28 east.
These are: Astra 1n, Astra 2a, Astra 2F and Eutelsat 28A.

Soon they will be joined by Astra 2E.
And channels on Astra 1N will be moved to 2E.

Channel 5 / 5*/ Five US are on Astra 2F
Most BBC / ITV / C4 channels are on Astra 1N - where they have been since late 2011

All the programs you want ARE on Astra2d:thumb:
Will be difficult since Astra 2d has not carried any channels, and has no active transponders since late 2011- when the 2d channels moved to 1N.

However as systems do not automatically change their satellite names when satellites are replaced, system boxes may still show astra 2a, 2b,2c,2d.....

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with Roger (wildman) transponder settings have changed recently.
My Neta dome recently failed to find Astra 2 and LCS who installed it gave me new transponder settings which has solved the problem:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back