LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having now spent almost a week people watching in the Black Sea village of Sveti Vlas it has dawned on me that since our last visit the place has been taken over by Russians. These are not the old school Russians that used to holiday here years ago, but a new breed of new money young Russians. Sitting on our balcony at night watching the parade of exoticars is quite amusing to say the least. Every type of exotic sports car you can imagine will drive bye in any one hour period. I have never been lucky enough to see a Bugatti Veyron in the flesh before, but 2 came past last night both with RUS plates. Where is all this sudden wealth coming from in Russia, they cant all be in the Mafia ?. Any properties that are coming up for sale are snapped up immediately by them for cash. I remember some years ago they did the same with Altea Hills outside Benidorm, then built the Orthodox church with the gold roof which can be seen from the coast road. I had a walk down into the marina the other night and there were private yachts down there that would make the QE2 look like the Royal Iris. What the hell is going on in the world ?.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
the old east are taking over, they will be selling us there old niva's to the west soon so all the west can go on there hols:ROFLMAO: watch out:ROFLMAO:have a great holiday:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
the old east are taking over, they will be selling us there old niva's to the west soon so all the west can go on there hols:ROFLMAO: watch out:ROFLMAO:have a great holiday:thumb:

I think your right there Alf. I have never seen such a show of wealth outside the Emirates.
Communism obviously worked for some :RollEyes:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am told they are taking over the L'Escala region in Costa Brava as well.

I don't much care for their company - loud, brash, rude and showy.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I think your right there Alf. I have never seen such a show of wealth outside the Emirates.
Communism obviously worked for some :RollEyes:.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Where is all this cash coming from though. As I said earlier, they cant all be in the Mafia.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Have a great time there, missed meeting you on this trip,Nigel Pam Garry and Chris all having a great time here and we also, and not forgetting our dog bamse ,Garry has not stopped catching fish down with us, so he's happy :Cool:weather is good for them and they enjoying there self's as us , :coolthumb: wev'e all had some great Day's and Evenings together here,and as its still day light 23hrs and 35mins we don't get to bed till after 1am, but greaaat times havin by all:thumb::thumb:Regards Alf.

Deleted User
Where is all this cash coming from though. As I said earlier, they cant all be in the Mafia.

Two alternative views:-

Freedom from the Communist yoke has released the entrepreneurial spirit in the Russian people.

Or.......under Communism the wealth and assets of the country were controlled and owned by the state and a few corrupt politicians abused the system.Under the new 'capitalist' system the greedy and ruthless( including old & new politicians) have plundered the state assets and become rich.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I am told they are taking over the L'Escala region in Costa Brava as well.

I don't much care for their company - loud, brash, rude and showy.

Regarding the exotic cars they all seem to be running around in your right Chris, but no one ever actually sees them at any other time. The local restaurateurs are all up in arms, as the Russians don't tend to eat out as the Brits do, and they are having a hard time of it.
The only restaurants that are thriving are the new Russian ones and the very expensive ones. Our local who has been here since 1998 and is excellent value and quality, is now in dire straights as many of his British clientèle have taken advantage of the booming property market and sold up. The season here is not like Spain, they only have 5 months to make there money as although the summer is very hot, the winters are just the opposite.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Regarding the exotic cars they all seem to be running around in your right Chris, but no one ever actually sees them at any other time. The local restaurateurs are all up in arms, as the Russians don't tend to eat out as the Brits do, and they are having a hard time of it.
The only restaurants that are thriving are the new Russian ones and the very expensive ones. Our local who has been here since 1998 and is excellent value and quality, is now in dire straights as many of his British clientèle have taken advantage of the booming property market and sold up. The season here is not like Spain, they only have 5 months to make there money as although the summer is very hot, the winters are just the opposite.

There were a load in a restaurant I was in recently in Spain. Horrible.

I saw a lot of them on the beaches. Horrible.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There were a load in a restaurant I was in recently in Spain. Horrible.

I saw a lot of them on the beaches. Horrible.

Just maybe they were cattle class package tourists Chris. This lot here are always followed by a black Merc full of JJ lookalikes wearing shades :RollEyes:.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dave ,keep your eyes open for an old merc truck with a green wooden box on the back . mick n heikie . mates of mine they are at the black sea somewhere . eatig and drinking with russians . say hello.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back