Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Which is warmest to spend the winter in, Portugal or southern Spain I was thinking of villasol or la manga, haven't done it before but we are determined to get some Sun this winter not freeze our giblets off.
I know some of you went to Morocco last year but we are not brave enough for that yet.
We plan to leave around mid September and come back mid March.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Be brave.

Your best, and cheapest, shot at a warm winter is Morocco.

You'll be surprised, it was a French colony and quite French still but with Arab spice to make it even better.

I'll bet you are safer there than Spain and Portugal. Lovely people.

PS....
We had show in Benidorm this Feb.

Last edited:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Which is warmest to spend the winter in, Portugal or southern Spain I was thinking of villasol or la manga, haven't done it before but we are determined to get some Sun this winter not freeze our giblets off.
I know some of you went to Morocco last year but we are not brave enough for that yet.
We plan to leave around mid September and come back mid March.

I live in Spain . One of the best places to visit is Almeria , Friendly people very safe as long as you dont go to the Tourist areas ( Benidorm etc ) you will be fine and the winters are warm , little bit chilly at night Fleece required . best of luck on your travels .

Dickieo , Cantoria Spain .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best stay away from cantoria though it gets cold there .was there in january visiting my mate keith . well not far away . snow was coming over from the nevada. mind we visited a few bars and did a sunday market . dont know where he was driving .
got another mate at huercal overa .cold there as well.
i reckon roquetas de mar is the warmest place in spain in winter .

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Away from September through to March? That in itself is a brave thing.

Morocco is a cinch. We did it earlier this year for the first time and will be back again next Feb/March.

In the scheme of things the ferry is not a lot, around £200 for an open return ticket, so why not go across and take it day by day and see how you like it? If, for you, it's terrible then it's only a short trip back to Spain where you feel happier. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if going to maroc i say expect to drive down the coast at least to past casablanca . it doesnt really warm till just past essaouira. but its worth it .dont hang around tangiers get away as fast as you can .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, last winter we had 5 months, starting in Spain beginning of December and then making our way round Portugal from March and home in May.:Smile:

But although last winter was not brilliant it was so much better than the UK, one of our daughters came out to Portugal, :winky: having not got above freezing in Norfolk for weeks, so we had no right to moan about the fact, a couple of days it rained and putting jeans on sometimes. :ROFLMAO:

But you do have to remember its also winter and sometimes its really nice and sometimes not !
But in all the time we have been going, only once did we not bother and stayed in France.:Doh: Must be 5 or 6 years ago. :Sad:

It was so wet in Spain and Portugal, people were going home in January that should have been out until end of March, we had good weather at Biarritz aire, it was free with electric water and dump, so we could not see the point in putting the fuel in. :whatthe: :Smile:
Another good reason not to book your sites. :thumb:

We like Javea, we know a lot of people that stay in winter, the weather is as good as anywhere, and one of the important things in winter is you don't want nice palm trees and be sat in the shade. ::bigsmile:

You mentioned La Manga, is a love it or hate it site. :Doh:
We have friends there for 6 months and love it, we like to visit them, and like the area good to cycle out and nice for the dog, but the site is an old shanty town the toilet blocks are something to be desired.
But we will be calling in at some point. :Doh::roflmto:

Only one year did we pre book, the main reason was, we kept promising we would see people, and were to lazy to get off our A*** . :Eeek:

There are loads of sites, the longer you stay the cheaper it is, if you only want a night or two then get the ACSI book, the trouble is it comes out 2nd week of December, so we have it delivered to Spain, but you can get it on some sites, but it might not be in english. :ROFLMAO:

They have a few aires in Spain, not stayed on any only in Portugal.:Smile:

Some folk wild camp in Spain, and most seem to in Portugal.

Bob and Jane. :thumb:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
best stay away from cantoria though it gets cold there .was there in january visiting my mate keith . well not far away . snow was coming over from the nevada. mind we visited a few bars and did a sunday market . dont know where he was driving .
got another mate at huercal overa .cold there as well.
i reckon roquetas de mar is the warmest place in spain in winter .

Totally agree with you , we did get some snow last winter on the tops of the mountains , but none at all here , or Huercal Overa . bit of snow up At Chiribel but thats 40 Km from here and it is above the snow line . best place to stay in my opinion is Bolneuvo , lovely site just back had two days there , Roquetas Del Mar other side of Almeria city very nice there

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we used to go to cal negro .but i,m told its fenced off now . never mind . perchellas was good for years . also if you take the coast track from that bolneuevo and follow the sea theres some nice hidey holes . mind lots naturists as well . but still abit too north i think .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
morocco is ok in the empty bits but in the areas that lots go .you may find guardian parking . they dont guard . they work with the crooks and fall asleep most of the time . the campsites in the country can be dismal . the tourist area ones like sardines . specially the french owned ones . but in between this its ok . most of the locals are ok .the police are mainly thiefs and crooks . bribes still work .cigarettes etc . the weather is lovely .but can be wet in november .
if in doubt sometimes in a village ask to stop outside the police station . at least the locals wont bother you. the police might want a beer or wine . ha ha . it can be good fun .
go with another van thats been before is best . the customs and border can be hassle . yet sometimes only minutes . have fun .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back