Camos flat dish - difficult to align? (1 Viewer)

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi All,
i'm looking at a flat dish for mainly the UK, and the flat dish from Camos seems to fit the bill. I've read somewhere that they can be difficult to align? Does anyone have any experience they can share?
thanks
David

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi All,
i'm looking at a flat dish for mainly the UK, and the flat dish from Camos seems to fit the bill. I've read somewhere that they can be difficult to align? Does anyone have any experience they can share?
thanks
David

We have had the Planer Plus for about four years now, and its easy to setup and align, and we have used it in France, and Spain (limited reception).

You should not have any difficulty using it in the UK.

We think it offers good value for money,:thumb:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We have used a Camos Flat dish with it's manual crank up for nearly 4 years and it has provided excellent results. It was fitted by Dave Newell (http://www.davenewell.co.uk)

Like anything, it takes a bit of practice. On the rotating dial, it gives you a range for the main satellites, I put a bit of masking tape on the dial to mark where Astra normally is in the sector, just gives me something to aim at.

The key is being able to locate north, I use an old Silva compass, smartphone apps are good. Turn the dial to point to north, crank up and turn to where you think the satellite should be according to the dial. Put the TV onto something like BBC2 and adjust until you get a picture. With practice, it takes under a minute.

We have used it around Europe and normally got a good signal.

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I bought and fitted the Camos plus some time ago and have nothing but praise for it. Bragging apart; set up in under 2 mins. no need for meter, the dish locks on so fast that it is simplicity itself to rotate to acquire a signal. Away this weekend at GT Yarmouth, very windy and no loss of signal what so ever.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Fitted mine when they first came out (can't remember when) and it was a doddle.
I have always got a signal with ease even in SW Europe.
My only gripe with it is there is no way to skew the LNB, but that is only important if you intend to use in difficult reception areas like SW Europe where the skew angle is over 30 deg.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To be fair people who have owned any manual system is going to say they are a dream, otherwise they's be sold or in the bin.

On all manual set ups be it fixed or free standing there is a learning curve, and once mastered you could get a signal from a dustbin lid with a LNB attached

understand what you are doing it only takes a little patience and within minuets you will be locked on

with no understanding and no patience get an auto system, but they too have their faults:RollEyes:

One of the commonest mistakes is getting used to the position on the dial where you usually get a signal, after 4 hrs of swearing you realise or maybe not:Doh: that your van is on a 10 degree slope so thats all your calibrations 10 degrees out before you start,

All the dials and gauges in the world are only indicators of where a signal should be, understanding is the only secret and you cant buy experiance:thumb::winky:

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Is there much practical difference between the sat and the sat plus other than the prospect of getting a better signal further south? Is the standard flat dish going to be ok say in France, or would you need the plus version?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Is there much practical difference between the sat and the sat plus other than the prospect of getting a better signal further south? Is the standard flat dish going to be ok say in France, or would you need the plus version?

I don't know the difference but mine is a standard one and the very south of France is difficult to get all channels. Clearly the further north you go the better it gets.

With all the changes being made this year it can no longer be assumed next time will be the same. New satellites have been launched and the channels are being moved, with what effect we have yet to find out.

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Fitted mine when they first came out (can't remember when) and it was a doddle.
I have always got a signal with ease even in SW Europe.
My only gripe with it is there is no way to skew the LNB, but that is only important if you intend to use in difficult reception areas like SW Europe where the skew angle is over 30 deg.
Keith,
Like you we have one and always get a signal with ease even in SW Europe.
We bought the one with the option to skew the LNB not that I have tried to yet

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001

I have never had to adjust our "Plus" model in France, but ib Spain, yes, to its max. The last time we were there, our friends on the next pitch, had bought a Chamos at the market, taped it to a piece of scaffold pole, mounted it in front of his rig, the skew was around 45 *, and got a good reception. Ours on the roof, adjusted to its max, provided us with a limited selection from the UK.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Keith,
Like you we have one and always get a signal with ease even in SW Europe.
We bought the one with the option to skew the LNB not that I have tried to yet

I have never had to adjust our "Plus" model in France, but ib Spain, yes, to its max. The last time we were there, our friends on the next pitch, had bought a Chamos at the market, taped it to a piece of scaffold pole, mounted it in front of his rig, the skew was around 45 *, and got a good reception. Ours on the roof, adjusted to its max, provided us with a limited selection from the UK.

This year may open a whole new can of worms, I hope not but all the signs point to it.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
thanks for all the replies. schojack, was it difficult to install?
cheers
David

Hi,

basic DIY skills and a bit of bottle that's all.

Important things are:
siting, I positioned mine so that it can rotate fully but is accessable through my roof light for maintenance and adjustment. The dish can be skewed to the necessary settings even though it is on the roof.

Cutting the adjustment shaft - needs checking and for me double checking. I even chickened out and cut it too long to start with and then nibbled at the thing. There's actually quite a good leeway.

Routing of the cable, I used self adhesive cable tie pads(ebay) and secured the cable with cable ties. This makes for easier cleaning under the cable also. Routed down through the roof into the cupboard above the TV and receiver. Be aware that some manufacturers run cabling through the roof so take care not drill into these. Le3ave a little extra cable as you may, as I did, want to reposition your receiver.

Plenty of sikaflex 512 and I have nothing but good reviews of my system.

Yes, a great deal is down to experience, practice and patience but 9 cranks to lift, a good compass reading, setting the dial to North and astra 2 is slap bang in the middle of the designated zone on the dial.

Someone says a minute :thumb:, absolutely! I had to find the remote hence 2 mins. :winky:

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Camos satellite

Our Camos dish has caused more agro in our van than anything else. Perhaps it is a faulty one but John finds it frustrating trying to pick up a signal even in UK. Trying to justify the expense of buying an Oyster or similar.
Elizabeth :Angry:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Our Camos dish has caused more agro in our van than anything else. Perhaps it is a faulty one but John finds it frustrating trying to pick up a signal even in UK. Trying to justify the expense of buying an Oyster or similar.

Hi,

hope this may help and apologies, no intention to tell gran how to suck eggs.

Ensure that MH is level.
I have my dish skewed at 9 degrees, make sure you go the right way when setting this.
From closed position, 9 rotations to lift.
Compass reading to identify North. Be aware of things thast may affect the accuracy of the compass reading in the MH.
Set disc to North
Switch on both tv and receiver
rotate dish to middle of the astra red quadrant.
rotate the dish clockwise/anticlockwise in steps of 5mm or so until you get a lock

Works every time for me.:thumb:

Good Luck

Jack

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Camos

Thanks for all the suggestions but John says he has tried all this. Jaws helped him at the Cotton Arms and he did get a signal. Up to then the only programmes we managed to get this year were on Astra 1 and most were foreign except for BBC World. We did not choose this system, it was on the van when we bought it.

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well , I got myself a 'used' Camos and fitted it yesterday. All went pretty well although I struggled connecting the dish to the arm, (which I thought would be the easy bit!).
Am i right in thinking that the only thing restraining the spring under the winding handle is the screw that tightens on the central rod? Seems strange to have something held like this when it's under constant pressure from the spring?
Thanks again for all the help!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Well , I got myself a 'used' Camos and fitted it yesterday. All went pretty well although I struggled connecting the dish to the arm, (which I thought would be the easy bit!).
Am i right in thinking that the only thing restraining the spring under the winding handle is the screw that tightens on the central rod? Seems strange to have something held like this when it's under constant pressure from the spring?
Thanks again for all the help!

Now 6 years since I installed mine & still OK, so I don't see a problem with it. :thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Thanks for all the suggestions but John says he has tried all this. Jaws helped him at the Cotton Arms and he did get a signal. Up to then the only programmes we managed to get this year were on Astra 1 and most were foreign except for BBC World. We did not choose this system, it was on the van when we bought it.

If still having problems, may I suggest a retune, and start again.

Also, is it tuned to the correct astra sat, in the setup.

If you are ever in Telford, have a chat with Dave Newell, www.davenewell.co.uk

Hope this helps.

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Camos

Thanks for your help. We only live about 3 miles from Dave Newell and he has looked at our Camos on several occasions. It works for a while and then we have problems again.Perhaps it is a faulty box. We are going to Shrewsbury and I rather think my husband is going to look at other systems.
Elizabeth

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Thanks for your help. We only live about 3 miles from Dave Newell and he has looked at our Camos on several occasions. It works for a while and then we have problems again.Perhaps it is a faulty box. We are going to Shrewsbury and I rather think my husband is going to look at other systems.
Elizabeth

Another problem with the Camos is water ingress, it happened to me and I took it apart (a fairly simple job) and the LNB was soaking so clearly buggered. This maybe your problem.

I managed to get a new one from Roadpro although they had to send for one.

I then dried it out and fitted the new LNB and re-sealed the joint around the plastic cover with Silicon to do a better job than the original Micky Mouse sealing strip. The original was a thin rubber sealing strip which I'm sure was the problem.

I am going to the Knutsford show if you wanted to wait until then we could have a look at it for you, as I see you are going as well.

Last edited:

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Camos

Thanks Keith for the suggestion. Will tell John and see if he thinks that is the problem. We are going to Knutsford so may seek your help there.
Thanks Elizabeth

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well I'm on a site in the gower and although my satellite finder is showing me a
strong signal just where I'd expect Astra to be, nothing being detected by my sky box? Anyone any ideas?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Well I'm on a site in the gower and although my satellite finder is showing me a
strong signal just where I'd expect Astra to be, nothing being detected by my sky box? Anyone any ideas?

You'r on Astra 1, turn a fraction East and down to find Astra 2

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Should the 'dial' lock into place when you've found the signal. Sorry for all the questions but I'm not entirely sure I've fitted all the parts in the correct order!!:Smile:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Should the 'dial' lock into place when you've found the signal. Sorry for all the questions but I'm not entirely sure I've fitted all the parts in the correct order!!:Smile:

Yes it should lock into place on the splines otherwise the wind will move the dish.
As for finding Astra 2 I use my trusty Aldi F.T.A. box to locate the satellites as it shows you the Sat name & location. Having found 2b I just change to the Sky javelin box.The F.T.A. box is all so usefully when your out of 2b range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I thought that might be the case! I think I haven't cut the tube short enough and so the two plates with the splines won' quite mesh,
Cheers
David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back