Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Anyone else had this, or a similar problem?

There are shelves in the top lockers of my MH, but they are pretty flimsy and I've planned for a while to replace them with thicker ones. Today I decided to remove the old shelves to use as templates for the replacements. Guess what - they won't come out of the locker unless I bend them - and of course if the new ones are thicker they won't bend and therefore I wouldn't be able to get them in! :Angry: The only idea I have at the moment is to make the new ones in two halves with some sort of cunning joint, but I'm not sure how to do this as yet.

Any ideas?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't have a practical bone in my body, but could you not join the two halves using a door hinge. Close the "door" to get it in and then open it to fix in as a shelf.
Feel free to ignore me::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
why not just reinforce the existing ones by fixing an additional thickness to them/:Eeek:

Now that's a damn fine idea - needn't be full size, just a reinforcing strip. I'm sure I would have thought of that eventually. :Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Why bother reinforcing them or replacing them with heavier shelves though? High level lockers are unsuited to carrying heavy loads and should only be used for carrying light stuff therefore the "flimsy" original shelves will be fine. Replacing them with heavier duty shelves will only achieve two things, both of which are less than ideal:
1, the shelves will be heavier than original thereby reducing your actual payload.
2, the heavier duty shelves will only tempt you to put heavier goods on them and as they are in high level lockers this is not a good place for heavier items.

D.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Have to agree with Dave on that high level lockers are it good for storing anything heavy which you may be tempted to do but if you do wish to proceed what I did when I added extra lightweight shelfs was to bore several holes either side for the plastic shelf supports from B&Q etc then put the shelf in at an angle straightened it up the put the supports in the holes
I an now adjust shelf to different sizes depending on what I want to store in the locker

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Why bother reinforcing them or replacing them with heavier shelves though? High level lockers are unsuited to carrying heavy loads and should only be used for carrying light stuff therefore the "flimsy" original shelves will be fine. Replacing them with heavier duty shelves will only achieve two things, both of which are less than ideal:
1, the shelves will be heavier than original thereby reducing your actual payload.
2, the heavier duty shelves will only tempt you to put heavier goods on them and as they are in high level lockers this is not a good place for heavier items.

D.

I fully take your point, Dave, but when I say flimsy I mean the thickness is barely more than hardboard, they bend with very little load. I did plan to replace them with 25 mm ply, hardly a massive increase in weight, and I'm well aware of the dangers of storing heavy stuff in high lockers, especially since the locker doors don't have particularly secure latches.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Now that's a damn fine idea - needn't be full size, just a reinforcing strip. I'm sure I would have thought of that eventually. :Smile:

And if you fix one strip across the top of the front edge of a shelf it would help to stop things sliding off.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I fully take your point, Dave, but when I say flimsy I mean the thickness is barely more than hardboard, they bend with very little load. I did plan to replace them with 25 mm ply, hardly a massive increase in weight, and I'm well aware of the dangers of storing heavy stuff in high lockers, especially since the locker doors don't have particularly secure latches.

That sounds like an enormous (25 times) increase in weight if the originals are say 1mm, or did you mean 2.5mm? :Doh:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
just fixing an upstand to the front edge will stiffen the shelves unless the span is massive 25mm ply is definatly over kill

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
That sounds like an enormous (25 times) increase in weight if the originals are say 1mm, or did you mean 2.5mm? :Doh:

opp5- yes, I meant 5 or 6 mm (one quarter inch in old money) Senior moment :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back