Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
Sorry, there are a few threads to this but I am struggling for the correct solution?
just returned from 5 days at Silverstone (F1) running on 12v system, no problem at all, today, went out to give the MH a clean and I have no 12v power, ie, the control panel doesn't turn on and on further observation the electronic steps fail to work?
to clarify on checks,
leisure battery fully charged as with the main battery
inline fuse from leisure battery ok, as with all other direct fuses.
I am assuming that, the system works as follows;-
once the ignition is on the main battery it cuts out the leisure battery for safety measures? but the transformer/charger unit still charges the leisure battery? so am I right to think that there is potentially a fuse that has blown that feeds direct power to the leisure battery, once the main battery has been disconnected, ie key removed from ignition?
if so, where would such a fuse be housed (Swift Suntor 630G '09) in the battery box under the bonnet or somewhere inline with the transformer? I have checked manuals, but no indication!
oh, 240v works ok, fridge turns direct to mains battery once unplugged from mains and outside light works normally off the keyfob!
many thanks and sorry if it sounds confusing.:Blush:
-Wayne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be the hab isolation relay has jammed/welded closed

This is the relay which turns off the 12v hab supply once the ign is on/engine is started.

Where it is I have no idea but on our old kontiki it was near the charger unit.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
could be the hab isolation relay has jammed/welded closed

This is the relay which turns off the 12v hab supply once the ign is on/engine is started.

Where it is I have no idea but on our old kontiki it was near the charger unit.
thanks John, it makes sense, I think the charger is in the garage compartment, I shall have a look tomorrow :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you can find the fusebox supply wire from the battery or control panel you should be able to trace back to the relay.

The relay will be held open with ignition on and close under its own spring pressure with ignition off.

If you find it remove the wire from terminal marked 86...this is the ignition supply wire ( or should be)
Or link together terminals 30 and 87...that will bypass the relay and provide 12v to the fusebox
That will confirm the relay is bad or ok .

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
In my Fiat ducato habitation book it say to switch off the engine then back on to re boot the 12v system, has worked for me in the past. Hope it helps.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Wayne, don't forget the earths. The leisure battery will be earthed to chassis at some point and the control panel will have an earth too. Just check them.

After intermittent problems with control panel on my van discovered the control panel earth wire had a nicely fitted 8mm eyelet but had been 'earth' by a small self-tapping screw through a bitumen anti-vibrating pad to the vehicle body; about useless!

Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
thanks all, the answer to my problem? easy once you spend hours on Google,:Sad: the NE183 control panel has a reputation to do a wobbler and crash out, the solution and I can confirm it works was on the following link, keep it safe at hand people :thumb:

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Nord_fault_finding_guide.pdf

was the problem caused by using 12v off gridd for 5 days, running the batterys low, then when you applied a charge to them, they drew too much current, causing the sargent unit to throw its wobbler?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back