Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I have always wanted to travel the country in a motorhome but unfortunatly circumstances prevented me from doing so.

So now in my late 40's single woman and happy to be, I have decided to learn how to convert a van and travel the country by myself. It is never too late to live your dreams.

I know it sounds a bit impulsive converting a van by yourself without much knowledge, but I have been know to behave that way. I can pick things up quickly and am not afraid of doing the diy work on my own.

Are there any single ladies out there who have the same ideas.

I don't know much about vans but I am doing a lot of reading. I am thinking of a ford transit lwb high top. I am thinking of this because these vans are everywhere and I am thinking parts will be cheap.

I may get windows and vents fitted proffessionally but I intend to to the rest of the work myself.

I want to insulate the van as I intend to spend several months in it in the winter and wanted to know how I would go about doing this..

Does anyone have any advice or ideas. I have not bought the van yet and will not for a couple of months, I would like to do more research first, but I am serious about doing this.

I swear to you, I am not Mad:Eeek:

ss1

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
With your ideas
First you probably are mad but that's a good thing
Spend a tenner and join fun
Seek advice on here cos you will need it
Ignore 2 thirds of it cos we are all mad
Listen to to other third as there are some very clever people on here

Do it
Live the dream it's yours

The ladies will be along shortly to talk sense

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome

The first mistake you have made is thinking that you are not mad - clearly you are ! However this is slightly essential to have the drive to not only convert your own van and go travelling but also to be on this site in the first place.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There are a few DvDs and book around about self conversions, in fact I think I might have a DVD that some one gave us when we were converting our first van, you are welcome to have this.

We converted an ex ambulance which was already insulated and had heating via a very good diesel heater, so from that point of view quite a bit of hard work was avoided. However is was a draughty as hell and no hot water. :Doh: but we loved it non the less.
Good luck and don't let anyone put you off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello & good luck with your plans. We bought our MH new so can't help with conversion but can tell you we are loving the freedom it gives us. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi ss1,

Nice to see someone living their dreams, you're in the right place for advice, just ask..and welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes you are crazy but that is a good thing. Ask away on here and you will get some good advice on self building...

Welcome to fun by the way :thumb:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Hi ss1
If you have a look in the Self Build Motorhomes section Norrie 14 has just completed a Transit conversion. He might be a good starting point for advice ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, no you are not mad, no reason not to follow your dream if the time is right, just a few idea's.

1, The best £10 if you are serious about this is for your annual subscription to Fun, more knowledge at your finger tips freely given.

2. Cost it out roughly before you start, don't forget things like winterizing it, all the gas work etc. If its a van and you put windows in you could be liable to VAT.

3. If your budget allows could you buy a older already converted van with most of the basics and update it to your idea's, don't forget older camper vans / motorhomes generally have less mileage on them than a commercial vehicle.

4. Don't let the work and cost of it become more than the vehicle is worth.

5.. Keep asking questions.

6. Good Luck keep us updated it is always good to know what the lady's amongst us are up to :welcomefunster:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi and welcome theres a section here for serlf builds and you could also look at the self build motor caravan clubs website sbmcc where in london are you ?your welcome to come and look at my self build

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There was me feeling rather pleased with myself having fitted a new tap to my grey waste on Sunday! However I would only have known to get a cheap one from the garden centre because we joined motorhome fun last year, without that mad lot I would have spent a fortune at a garage. Good luck.:Smile::Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome,:thumb: Layout is the most important thing so go around a shows and have a good look to see what works for you :Smile: Insulation can be anything from £10 a roll to £100 or thermalite boards depending on your budget-remember it cost the same to con vert an old van as a new one :winky:
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome and good luck with the conversion. We are going to do the same thing in a few years .
Ralph's picking up tips, ideas and equipment to do it as we go along in the meantime. He's got quite a stash :ROFLMAO: like a little magpie.

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
With your ideas
First you probably are mad but that's a good thing
Spend a tenner and join fun
Seek advice on here cos you will need it
Ignore 2 thirds of it cos we are all mad
Listen to to other third as there are some very clever people on here

Do it
Live the dream it's yours

The ladies will be along shortly to talk sense

Thanks for the encouragement, I am glad to know that I am not only mad one, you all seem like a friendly bunch, I look forward to your advice. ::bigsmile:

ss1

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The first mistake you have made is thinking that you are not mad - clearly you are ! However this is slightly essential to have the drive to not only convert your own van and go travelling but also to be on this site in the first place.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There are a few DvDs and book around about self conversions, in fact I think I might have a DVD that some one gave us when we were converting our first van, you are welcome to have this.

We converted an ex ambulance which was already insulated and had heating via a very good diesel heater, so from that point of view quite a bit of hard work was avoided. However is was a draughty as hell and no hot water. :Doh: but we loved it non the less.
Good luck and don't let anyone put you off.

Hi I am well known to be quite mad, glad to know that I am not the only one , if you do have a dvd I would be grateful if you could let me buy it from you or where I could buy the dvds that you mentioned.

ss1

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ss1,

Nice to see someone living their dreams, you're in the right place for advice, just ask..and welcome to the Fun :thumb:

Thanks for the books, I am really glad I found this forum and intend to ask for lots of advice.:Smile:

ss1

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ss1
If you have a look in the Self Build Motorhomes section Norrie 14 has just completed a Transit conversion. He might be a good starting point for advice ?

Thanks I intend to ask a lot of questions, I didn't know there was a self buidl motorhomes section, thats even better, expect a huge post with lots of quesitions in the next few days :shout:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi I am well known to be quite mad, glad to know that I am not the only one , if you do have a dvd I would be grateful if you could let me buy it from you or where I could buy the dvds that you mentioned.

ss1

You are welcome to have it when I find it. I will have a dig around and let you know. I don't want any money for it though as we were given it in the first place.

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi and welcome,:thumb: Layout is the most important thing so go around a shows and have a good look to see what works for you :Smile: Insulation can be anything from £10 a roll to £100 or thermalite boards depending on your budget-remember it cost the same to con vert an old van as a new one :winky:
terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advice, about insulation, it not just about the cost but staying as warm as possible in the winter, this will be an ongoing project. I will be spending money on the self build as I earn it so there is not set budget. As far as the insulation is concerned I would prefer to spend a bit more so that I can gaurantee that the van will be warm in the winter. I have a lot of questions and will be posting them on the self build section. :whatthe:

ss1

OP
OP
S

ss1

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome and good luck with the conversion. We are going to do the same thing in a few years .
Ralph's picking up tips, ideas and equipment to do it as we go along in the meantime. He's got quite a stash :ROFLMAO: like a little magpie.

Hi, thanks, thats what I want, adventure before dimentia !! :shout:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

I have always wanted to travel the country in a motorhome but unfortunatly circumstances prevented me from doing so.

So now in my late 40's single woman and happy to be, I have decided to learn how to convert a van and travel the country by myself. It is never too late to live your dreams.

I know it sounds a bit impulsive converting a van by yourself without much knowledge, but I have been know to behave that way. I can pick things up quickly and am not afraid of doing the diy work on my own.

Are there any single ladies out there who have the same ideas.

I don't know much about vans but I am doing a lot of reading. I am thinking of a ford transit lwb high top. I am thinking of this because these vans are everywhere and I am thinking parts will be cheap.

I may get windows and vents fitted proffessionally but I intend to to the rest of the work myself.

I want to insulate the van as I intend to spend several months in it in the winter and wanted to know how I would go about doing this..

Does anyone have any advice or ideas. I have not bought the van yet and will not for a couple of months, I would like to do more research first, but I am serious about doing this.

I swear to you, I am not Mad:Eeek:

ss1

If you're planning to tour alone in a LWB transit, you'll have a bit of payload to play with, even allowing for an additional person in the future. I'd consider doing something a little different and doing some better plumbing and heating that the usual. Think large water and waste tanks and even a marine toilet so you can go a week without filling/emptying and not needing to tie yourself to campsites. Consider a large fixed gas tank so you don't need to waste locker space on bottles and can fill up the gas whenever you like. See if you can find a nice tucked away gas heating system with ducting to maximise your space and comfort. You might even consider a US style water heater. They're cheap and run off gas, electric or, best of all, off the engine coolant, so there's hot water for a shower as soon as you pull on the handbrake.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advice, about insulation, it not just about the cost but staying as warm as possible in the winter, this will be an ongoing project. I will be spending money on the self build as I earn it so there is not set budget. As far as the insulation is concerned I would prefer to spend a bit more so that I can gaurantee that the van will be warm in the winter. I have a lot of questions and will be posting them on the self build section. :whatthe:

ss1

Insulation is perhaps one of the most important aspects of a self build in my opinion. As a self build fulltimer I learned this the hard way.
I have used 4 different types of insulation and only one fulfilled all my requirements.

The best insulation by far is the two part polyurethane spray on types.

This not only keeps your van warm in the winter, cool in the summer it bonds directly to the metal and stops condensation dead. It also adds rigidity to your vehicle.

I initially tried the insulation boards such as kingspan but these don't bond totally flat to the surface. Warm air gets behind them and forms condensation pools. I also tried single tin spray insulation to block these gaps off but this stuff is next to useless and a total waste of money. I also tried two different types of wool insulation natural and synthetic. These work well but get soggy over time and collapse down. I tested the silver bubble wrap type as well and although they stopped condensation because you could seal the edges it wasn't very effective.

The two part foam is just so damn good I wouldn't touch anything else on my next self build. By the way it also stops the loud drumming on the roof when it rains.

The downside to it is it is pretty expensive. But in my view well worth the expense. You can either get a company in to do it for you or you can get the DIY cannisters. Quite often it works out cheaper to get it done by a pro. I went the DIY route as I was doing the van in stages at that time.

I can't find the one I actually used but it was like one of these two.
http://www.foamseal.co.uk/diy-spray-foam/index.php?cPath=3800003

Link Removed

It is also used on boats.
http://www.spray-insulation.co.uk/narrow_boat_insulation.htm

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi ss1 the best thing to do is spend the tenner and become a full member then you can ask as many qs as you like, that will be the best money you will spend on your van ::bigsmile:
A ongoing project needs a lot of thinking about so that you ADD to it rather than fitting things to take them back out as things move along.
If you look at our SB (link below) the only thing we have replaced is the flooring this was by choice rather than having to.
Your chice of base vehicle will determine how much work needs to be done before it becomes usable. I spent 7k plus van 10.5k total but that includes tv and kitchen sink, the lot ::bigsmile:It comes down to your budget but like I said before the costs are the same for old or newer van.
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back