12v DC into 230v AC transformer to 12v ! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I wonder if someone can help me with a (stupid?) question?

I have a 12v Pure digital radio which has a small power supply that would normally plug into 230v 13amp socket in the house.

Will it still work if I plug it into (rewired) 12 vdc supply in the 'van? I know this sounds bonkers but I am just wondering if it will. The reason is that I do not have the correct male plug to connect to the radio.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It might, it might not.

Even if it says 12V on the power supply, remember your battery can be 14.6V on charge.

So it might be fine, it might cook.

You can buy regulated 12V power supplies to plug into the cigar socket.

I'd not hesitate to try. Live dangerously, die young.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Pure D.A.B. radio with a rechargeable battery fitted. We have a lead with the appropriate end piece to fit the radio socket and on the other end is a 12volt cigarette lighter plug. We just plug into a 12volt socket in the van and away it goes, it plays and recharges the battery. Been using it for 3 or 4 years now with no problem whatsoever.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Brian,
I do have a regulated 12v gizmo but the plugs are right angled and will not fit the radio. My concern is will the 12vdc affect the Pure Radio power supply as the power supply is meant for AC

Confused? I am! lol

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi is the radio wired to 12v on the inside or does it have a 'black box' like on tvs ?If it has the box that reduces it to 12v then you can either get a plug that fits into radio from a games console,or simply snip it off the box and use it to make a lead up remembering which is poss and neg,then wire direct to your battery pref protected with ain line fuse :Smile:
If no box then its a case of going inside and identifying poss and neg,soldering new wires and as above ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have a Pure D.A.B. radio with a rechargeable battery fitted
Brisey.

Thanks Brisey, I'm trying to avoid coughing up the £30 for the battery :Blush:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi is the radio wired to 12v on the inside or does it have a 'black box' like on tvs ?
terry

Thanks Terry, yes to 'black box'........... I have just found an old one that I am going to 'hack'

Cheers

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wonder if someone can help me with a (stupid?) question?

I have a 12v Pure digital radio which has a small power supply that would normally plug into 230v 13amp socket in the house.

Will it still work if I plug it into (rewired) 12 vdc supply in the 'van? I know this sounds bonkers but I am just wondering if it will. The reason is that I do not have the correct male plug to connect to the radio.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

It isn't bonkers at all. The vast majority of consumer electronics that take a 12V DC input can (and should) be run straight off a leisure battery. This saves lots of noise and inefficiency from running off an inverter.

There will be some that can't cope with the higher voltage, but this is quite unusual. The DC adapters you get are normally unregulated and the leisure battery will provide a cleaner and more stable voltage anyway. If there is any effect at all, it will be that the maximum volume might increase slightly, depending on the design.

Obviously, if your DAB radio fries, I'm not paying for it!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pre Post Warning.

What I say below is from personal experience and not electronic knowledge or training.

I know nothing!

I always try to buy electrical/electronic stuff that will work on 12 volts. Before purchase I look at wall plug thingy and discover its output voltage.

For example my external hard drive. It came with a power supply that you plug in the mains. Looking at the transformer thingy it says "input 230v - output 12v dc".

Out come the pliers... I snip through the output wire (in the middle of it) and connect a cig lighter plug to it. Plug it into 12 volt and Robert Is Your Father's Brother.

(If necessary you can still use the mains thingy by reconnecting the gadget plug to its output lead with chocolate box connector.)

I have done this with many, many gadgets.

Despite the voltage sometimes going higher than 12 volts I have never had anything "fry" on me.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as the power supply is meant for AC
Confused? I am! lol

Yes it plugs into 240V AC but it's very rare that it would be 12V AC out.

A meter should answer your question, though many meters will show a voltage reading if set to AC volts and you measure a DC ( battery ) supply, the other way round, set DC volts and try and measure AC will show zero.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thank you everyone for your valued input :Smile:

I found an old power supply lying around the house which had the correct 5.5 male connector on it.............cut the transformer off.............connected the 2 wires to the 'van 12vdc.........plugged in to the radio............her presto! Robert is indeed my uncle ::bigsmile:

It works just fine ( I might just put a 5a fuse in line tho:winky:)

Cheers :Smile::Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you everyone for your valued input :Smile:

I found an old power supply lying around the house which had the correct 5.5 male connector on it.............cut the transformer off.............connected the 2 wires to the 'van 12vdc.........plugged in to the radio............her presto! Robert is indeed my uncle ::bigsmile:

It works just fine ( I might just put a 5a fuse in line tho:winky:)

Cheers :Smile::Smile:

He who dares wins.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back