electrolux fridge regas question (1 Viewer)

welshcowboy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
flint
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
Hi our fridge had stopped getting cold the pipe at the back is hot one side and cold the other side could this mean it needs to be re gassed? We will be at Shrewsbury of anyone has any idea and wants a look. Cheers in advance

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have heard many talk about re gassing a fridge, but have never heard of anyone actually doing it. You may be able to do a short term fix by taking the fridge out and tipping it upside down over night. This problem occurs by constant parking off level.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some fridge engineers have done it for folk .i find these days they dont want to get invoved . they say if any damp as got in it will cause problems . we used to have a company near us we sent customers but they dont want to do it at all these days .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know if a fridge is the same as aircon, but when aircon is regassed all the gas is removed by vacuum, then the gas is 'scrubbed' to remove contaminants and moisture.

the system is then leak tested and only then is it put back in and repressurised.

OP
OP
W

welshcowboy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
flint
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
I've heard a few people talk about tipping it upside down. The van is parked at a funny angle all the time at home when not in use so as you said the fridge isn't kept level. I might take it out tomorrow and leave it upside down a few days and see what it does. Cheers for the advice everyone

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've heard a few people talk about tipping it upside down. The van is parked at a funny angle all the time at home when not in use so as you said the fridge isn't kept level. I might take it out tomorrow and leave it upside down a few days and see what it does. Cheers for the advice everyone

I did it once on a caravan fridge, not expecting a result. The blooming thing worked better than ever after that. :roflmto: I tipped it upside down overnight, and tipped it back to rest the next day, before reinstalling it that evening.

Good luck with it. :Smile:

Jock.

Montana16

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
West Lindsey, Lincs
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,
Fridges as fitted to most caravans, campers are absorption type. These have a gas flame and small electric heater to power the system. The absorption system cannot be re-gassed but often when you take it out, turn it upside down and shake it it will clear some of the deposits that build up within the pipe work. Very important to let it settle for 12 hours after it is back in the right position. Air-con system work by compressing refrigerant gas as does your house fridge using a compressor either mains powered or from the engine on dash systems.
HTH

Dave.

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Worked for me ( sort of)

My fridge didn't work so got the dealer to take it out . He found the gas pipe was blocked by sediment so fitted a new pipe. Removed fridge and left upside down which made it work well for a short time, but then on a second shake down trip the mains element packed in( two weeks before a long continental trip) so needed replacing. Also the gas burner element needed renewing as I needed that as a back up. After that it worked well and produced ice but would not keep ice cream solid in the freezer.
I think it is called sod's law

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

welshcowboy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
flint
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
I've took it out and put it nice and level I'm gonna keep it upside down till Wed night then refit it ready for this weekend. I gather I don't need it working while it's upside down just keep it un plugged yeah?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont try plugging it in or connecting the gas whilst upside down. just leave it sat there or give it an occasional gentle rock to help any gas bubles to move through. inverting makes the gas and fluid recombine and often gets things working for a while.

when you turn it back upright and reinstall give it a few hours to settle before turning the fridge back on. have saved many peoples weekend away with this old trick. nothing worse than warm beer:ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've took it out and put it nice and level I'm gonna keep it upside down till Wed night then refit it ready for this weekend. I gather I don't need it working while it's upside down just keep it un plugged yeah?
Do exactly as TheBig1 posted, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the result. Make especially good, any seals and connections, with regards to the gas supply and the flue. If in doubt, seek professional advice. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back