Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Hello all,

I'd be very grateful for your advice regarding suitable hose for filling fresh water tank. We've just fitted Nature Pure filter so do we need a food quality hose for filling our tank or would a regular hose suffice? Also, we're planning a trip to France and it seems that different water sources need different adapters. Would a pliable push fit connector do the job or do we need to invest in several adapters? :Smile:

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Water Hose

Jaqc,

Although I have a wind up long hose with me and a length of easy to grab normal as well, I virtually always resort to a 12 water can as once a day it is probably the maximum you will use.

Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Please see Broken Link Removed about the expanding hose, apparently they are very susceptible to springing leaks.

As regards taps in France my experience is many sites supply their own hose at the service point. Around the site the normal screw thread taps are frequently used.

Steve

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just found this site with 50ft for what appears to be a bargain price:
http://www.tvshopping-solutions.co.uk/detail.asp?pid=630

There is always those that don't like them, see the reviews on Amazon.

I don't drink the water once I put it in my tank, but do drink French water as it comes from the tap by filling old water bottles. I don't buy bottled water in the UK or France, too mean!

I have a length of old garden hose, the usual Hozelock connector and the screw on piece which it snaps onto. Only going to wash in it.................

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Correct my own post - reading other link apparently one Funster had an email from them saying they were not suitable for drinking water.

So why does the link provided include "camping" if not for drinking water? For washing tents?

Steve

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hello all,

I'd be very grateful for your advice regarding suitable hose for filling fresh water tank. We've just fitted Nature Pure filter so do we need a food quality hose for filling our tank or would a regular hose suffice? Also, we're planning a trip to France and it seems that different water sources need different adapters. Would a pliable push fit connector do the job or do we need to invest in several adapters? :Smile:

Having just completed a 6 week tour of France using aires I have encountered several differing types of taps supplying water. I have a standard green hose for filling my water tank, when I want to use it, but as another comment says I find it a bind to use as it snakes away coating my trouser legs with water and then continuing to drip inside my mh. so I too have resorted to using a 10 ltr watering can. Also if you are using French aires the danger of moving you mh to the water tap is that you can quickly lose you place.
Our hose has a flexible connector that I have been able to squeeze over most taps, though I often have to stand and hold it on as the force of water on some taps is uncontrollable. As regards the suitability of the green plastic hose for drinking water purposes, the strict reply is it is not suitable but if like us you are going to boil your tank water for drinking then I can say we have had no harmful side effects, also like you we have a water purifier that we use to supply drinking water and teeth brushing.

A tip I have picked up if you are going to use a hose is to have two hoses one short one for when you can pull upright next to the tap and a longer one that can be connected to the short one if you are a long way away.

Happy motoring

Norman and Sue

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I am with Larby on this one. Water is only sterile the moment it leaves the tap. Once a year I invest £1.00 in four Aldi 2 litre water bottles, and they are reused over and over again.

What? Me? Mean?

I wonder why they put a "Best Before" date on water bottles though?

Steve

Upvote 0

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Bought a food grade hose when i started mhming advised by someone in forum then I met a seasoned traveller using a water can filling his tank .went to gardeni centre and bought an18 litre water can been using it since never use the expansive food grade hose, total waste of money.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Very grateful for all your replies. We've just fitted a Nature Pure water filter unit, so I'm hoping we won't have a problem with water not being fit to drink from the tap its fitted to? Because of this I was wondering whether it was OK to forgo the need for food quality hose too?:Confused:

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
After 3 yrs of touring Europe this is what we carry-
I bought a reel of flat food hose and cut a 5mtr length off that and then a 1 mtr length.Each length has a standard screw thread connector on one end and the 2 longest ones have a Hozelock nozzle as well.
We carry all 3,but, it's the 2 short ones that get used most.
We also have a 10ltr container with a spout that I often use to 'top up' and a 5ltr 'cubitainer'
which usually holds a days supply for making T etc.
We also have 2 1.5ltr bottles of tap water kept in fridge and we top these up from the mains water supply.
We never buy bottled water.
As far as adaptors go,we carry a selection of Hozelock adaptors and a couple of nozzles.

We use a similar system for EHU-3 leads of varying lengths which can be joined together if needed,and a selection of adaptors.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we bought a food grade hose on a reel and found it to big so we cut of about 15ft and have used that since it is better than norn=mal hose as its lay flat which means it doesnt get tangled up like some normal garden hose
as far as adater goes we have a normal hozelok push fit on the hose Link Removed
and a plug in tap adaptor with both sizes of screw ons like this Link Removed

we also have a plug in squidgy one that goes over any tap Link Removed
the only time weve been caught out was the second aire we stayed on which needed one of these Link Removed so we duly bought one in a french market and have never needed one since hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Like Peter and Elaine we use the coil type hose.

Bought a very expensive one from a camping shop and a much cheaper one from a local super market. To be honest there's not much difference in quality between the two.

These pipes are easier to drain out and I then join the 2 ends together to make sure there's no leakage in the garage and then pop the whole thing into a super market shopping bag

As for tap adaptors I think it's best to get a range of them, (you can usually buy them as a set in most supermarkets or DIY stores), as well as the push-on type that you tighten with a wing-nut type thingy.

As for drinking water we always buy bottled water from the supermarket

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If you have not sorted out elecy cables consider one of these yes it's expensive and you can get something similar of eBay for a fiver but this is ip rated for water

Link Removed

We did not have one in France last year so I had to buy a extension lead and chop plugs off to bogge one up

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I am with Larby on this one. Water is only sterile the moment it leaves the tap. Once a year I invest £1.00 in four Aldi 2 litre water bottles, and they are reused over and over again.

What? Me? Mean?

I wonder why they put a "[HI]Best Before" date on water bottles though[/HI]?

Steve

You see on the "RIPOFF SPRING WATER" bottles @ £1.99 oper ½ litre that it has been filtered through the rocks for 3 million years, but best before July 2013, phew, just in date then !!

I believe the Best Before is the deteriation of the plastic, not the water?
and by the way JACQ, do enjoy your pastime, and in 12 months I've learned a lot from this crowd and sometimes a straight answer is forthcoming !

It's what suits you that matters

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We carry a small selection of hoses but rarely/never use them. Normally fill tank about two-thirds full using hosepipe at home before leaving, then a large plastic watering can for topping up. Just returned from a month in France - worked a treat - easy-peasy. :thumb:

Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back