Running in new engine: any tips ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So the new Ducato 150 Multijet has completed a grand total of 154kms with very careful driving.

What should I do/not do whilst running this new engine engine in and when is it run in ? (always bought ex demo, ex rentals etc so a new new engine is a new experience)

Was trying to keep revs below 2500rpm today but that meant very slow progress.....

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Don't thrash it, don't labour it. Use it!

The days of "running in please pass" are well over.

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Steve said, running in is past history.

Don't let the engine labour is the main criteria...use the gears.

No tear-arsed acceleration from the lights, but don't take 1/2hr to get to 60mph either.
Puppying it at low speeds will will eventually glaze the cylinders reducing compression.

Don't stick to one gear or one speed when cruising....vary your speed regularly.

An easy cruising speed of 70mph won't do any harm

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
as Steve said, running in is past history.

Don't let the engine labour is the main criteria...use the gears.

No tear-arsed acceleration from the lights, but don't take 1/2hr to get to 60mph either.
Puppying it at low speeds will will eventually glaze the cylinders reducing compression.

Don't stick to one gear or one speed when cruising....vary your speed regularly.

An easy cruising speed of 70mph won't do any harm

Ok so pretty much regular driving then. Was only a little concerned as we're in the Jura at the moment and we had some long mountain sections to climb this morning, I took it slightly easier than usual although getting passed by scooter made me realize how much I'd backed off.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
In a past life I used to work for a engine manufacture in product development. First thing we did with a new engine, was run it at full load and full power, for 24 hours to bed it in.
In production the first time the engine is started it does a 2min cycle, where all parameters are checked it does max revs full load etc.

So running in does not really apply nowadays

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So the new Ducato 150 Multijet has completed a grand total of 154kms with very careful driving.

What should I do/not do whilst running this new engine engine in and when is it run in ? (always bought ex demo, ex rentals etc so a new new engine is a new experience)

Was trying to keep revs below 2500rpm today but that meant very slow progress.....

It's run in at the factory. Just use a variety of power levels and don't labour it in too high a gear. Continue with this for the next 200,000 miles.

I've got a genuine new engine in mine. That really did have a run in schedule. It has flat tappet valve gear, so needs 20 minutes at > 2000 rpm stationary before an oil and filter change. Then it needs to be run at sensible varying power levels, ensuring that there are several full power from slow to fast to put pressure behind the rings to get them to seal before the cylinder walls harden. Then another 500 miles and new oil and filter again. At this point I can put in proper synthetic oil.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Running in

Modern engines + engine up to temperature = drive it like you stole it

::bigsmile::winky:::bigsmile::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had mine with 4 miles on clock. First week went Birmingham to cornwall and back in 1 day to get a towbar.
Second week Spain !!!

As stated, just drive as per normal, days are over of running in and keeping low speeds for x number of miles... Use as normal but dont thrash it... :thumb:

I am now at 18 months old and 13,000 miles.. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK so I want take it round the Top Gear test track just yet but will keep the kids connect 4 pieces moving around with some "nimble" maneuvers:Smile:

:thumb:

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Engines

As a retired motor engineer, just drive it normally, take it you have got a warranty with engine.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Manufactures do not, run in engines, it costs to much, they are even looking at ways, of not running a new engine at all, this is not even starting it, as this is a big cost in the production process.
There aim is to have the production process so good that starting the engine is not required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back