Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 686
Exp
Since 2013
Hi I'm a complete newbie, but have been thinking for some time about buying a motorhome and have found a used Swift Escape 686. I live in Dundee and there is some beautiful scenery on our doorstep to get away for long weekends. We rented a 696 for a week around the Highlands and had a really good time, even though the weather wasn't perfect. We have found a good second hand one, less than 2 years old, under 3,000 miles, from a well established dealer near here, but I keep prevaricating about buying...

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and :welcome:mcward

Like you, we were at that point almost 3 years ago. We traded in the caravan and bought a new Elddis Autoquest 180 and we have no regrets whatsoever. It will give you so much freedom to just get out there and enjoy not only what we have on our doorstep in Scotland, but everywhere else within the UK. We haven't yet managed to get abroad with the mh, but look forward to doing so when other things don't get in the way:Doh:

I'm sure you will have no regrets, but it's just taking that step and saying "yes" and go for it. There is plenty advice with everything relating to mh's on here, that's for sure:thumb:

On the subject of "perfect weather", we might be able to help you there.......move down to Denmead in Hampshire, my Mum and Dad live there and according to them it never rains and they are blessed with "wall to wall sunshine" 365 days a year!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Margaret & Bill
(sunny south of Scotland):sin::sin::sin:

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome
We Have great scenery south of the border also so go for it .............you know you want to ::bigsmile:riving2::welcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
" Prevarication is the thief of time"*

* Wilkins McCawber ' David Copperfield' *

* I think.

Just go for it:thumb:

Angus dog

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome aboard:winky:

Hi I'm a complete newbie, but have been thinking for some time about buying a motorhome and have found a used Swift Escape 686. I live in Dundee and there is some beautiful scenery on our doorstep to get away for long weekends. We rented a 696 for a week around the Highlands and had a really good time, even though the weather wasn't perfect. We have found a good second hand one, less than 2 years old, under 3,000 miles, from a well established dealer near here, but I keep prevaricating about buying...

We are new to this life also,having collected our nh at beginning of June.Been away for 2 weekends,one with glorious weather and the second the complete opposite .Absolutely the right decision.Go for it

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We are just outside of Dundee (Balruddery) and spent ages selecting the wrong van before spending even longer getting the right one! Happy to chat about how we got it right in the end!
PM if you want to meet to discuss.:thumb:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We bought our motorhome last year from a reputable dealer in Fife, if it's the same dealer we had no complaints but wished I had haggled a bit. Go for it, the Escape looks good.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
" Prevarication is the thief of time"*

* Wilkins McCawber ' David Copperfield' *

* I think.

Just go for it:thumb:

Actually I think it is procastrination which is the thief of time.

Same sort of thing though:Doh:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun
Think long and hard about what you buy and consider winter time if you intend to use
I know your winters up there it can be cruel
A fully winterised van with good heating would be a must for me

As where to go where you live is some of the best scenery anywhere on this planet
10 miles into a another world bliss

And wild camping free always a bonus

Go forth and enjoy (or Clyde)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, The site owner Jim has written a motorhome buyers guide that will easily save you the cost of buying it get it, read it, and go haggle. Enjoy

OP
OP
mcward

mcward

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 686
Exp
Since 2013
Just to say, I've stopped prevaricating and bought the Escape 686! Now we have to decide where to go first! :roflmto:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just to say, I've stopped prevaricating and bought the Escape 686! Now we have to decide where to go first! :roflmto:

Great news! Our first trip away in the van was to Crail, Sauchope Links, fantastic views out to the Forth and plenty of lovely little harbour towns to visit nearby. Elie, Pittenweem, St. Monans, Anstruther (great fish and chips) and Crail.......... and not forgetting St. Andrews too.:thumb:
Link Removed

Enjoy!
Margaret & Bill::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Fun, a beautiful part of the country to get good use out of a motorhome.:welcomefunster:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back