Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lady wife wants a Kindle Paperwhite for her birthday next month Saves carrying loads off books etc.
Which magazine gives it a very good review as a "best buy" and on sale at Tesco for £109.
Any comments pse.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can get a 7" tablet for around £50 these days that has a solid screen that does not crack for a pastime, there is a kindle reader app for free, its a no brainer for me. Full colour where required, portable and more versatile.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I got one for Christmas, just the basic Kindle........but to be honest I've hardly looked at it:RollEyes:

I took it away in the van the last time, but didn't take it out it's case. My daughter keeps asking me how I'm getting on with it:Sad: I feel a bit guilty about this, but I'd rather do a crossword:Doh:
Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is one important difference between dedicated e-readers and general tablets and that is the ability to read a book in bright or dull lighting conditions. e-readers are deliberately designed to cope whereas tablets (due to their more generalised requirements) are not.

I've had one of the Kindle keyboard models for over 18 months and it's great for use in the van. Jill bought a Samsung equivalent at about the same time and it has been fine though it's replaceable battery needs charging more often and it is starting to show signs of flakiness. As a result (just in case it goes belly up without warning) she bought a Kobo Mini from W.H.Smiths a couple of weeks ago as they are only £29.99, the Kobo being compatible with the e-book formats she uses on the Samsung.

If the e-book format isn't important (and assuming availability of desired titles/genres) then it is worth considering a Kobo or maybe the Nook Simple Touch (which appears to be available again from the likes of Currys/PC World and Argos for £29).

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I love my Kindle Fire HD for reading, web, email and loads of apps including crosswords and word searches, weather, games and maps.Loads of free books. Bit more money at £159 but for me worth it.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Kindles

Sue and I both have the original, 3G version of the Kindle and have used them for a few years now with no problems. The added bonus of the 3G version is that you can surf the net for free provided you have a signal, and in most places we have had a good signal. W also have an ipd and one of those Asus tablets and have full access to the Kindle downloads on both our Kindles through the apps. Seeing the books in colour is a bonus, but nothing beats the Kindle itself in daylight. And the Kindle battery will last about a month, provided you don't leave it connected to the Kindle store.

So I'd say go for it.

Gary::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've got a kindle, great for reading in day/sunlight...I've also got an ipad which I've loaded the kindle app, the ipad is good for reading in bed, the text is backlit, the kindle and ipad app synchronise so what ever I read on one gadget the page I've read up to automatically updates on the other gadget, brilliant:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Kindle for reading, my wife has a tablet as well but the battery would need charging every other day, Kindle battery last for weeks. I have had a kindle myself for a few years and wouldn't be without it.

Bill

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
There is one important difference between dedicated e-readers and general tablets and that is the ability to read a book in bright or dull lighting conditions. e-readers are deliberately designed to cope whereas tablets (due to their more generalised requirements) are not.

I'm a fairly recent e-reader convert and didn't really appreciate it until recently when I sat down outside the van in glorious sunshine. It suddenly dawned on me after a few minutes that I wasn't having any problems compared to laptops, etc.

As a result (just in case it goes belly up without warning) she bought a Kobo Mini from W.H.Smiths a couple of weeks ago as they are only £29.99, the Kobo being compatible with the e-book formats she uses on the Samsung.
That's a good deal...they're usually about £50/£60.

What do you use to load books onto the Samsung/Kobo? I've got a Kobo Glo and on the Mac my options for non-Kobo-store stuff, which I never use, appear to be the clunky Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a Kindle and I have the Kindle app on my SGN2.

I use both.

Each has it's strong points.

JJ :Cool:

PS. When seeking advice via the internet I always like to get it from folks who have actually used the things they are commenting on rather than hear say...

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I have 3g Kindle, have had it for 12 months. It is very good for reading outside.

I read every day, and battery life is very good.

I love it!::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
What do you use to load books onto the Samsung/Kobo? I've got a Kobo Glo and on the Mac my options for non-Kobo-store stuff, which I never use, appear to be the clunky Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre.

Don't really know because I have the Kindle but Jill was saying the other day that Calibre 64 bit works pretty well.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
I have a kindle (amongst other gadgets) and nothings beats in daylight - I mean NOTHING..

No shine, no glare and as readable as a book even with your sunglasses on - try that with a tablet or even a laptop! The battery will do 3-4 weeks without a charge too.

If you like to read a lot - then a dedicate e-reader is way better than a tablet or lappie etc. The kobo is just as good - on the face of it.

I was a bit sceptical of the kindle (any e-reader tbh) but since having mine - I wouldnt go back. I have been selling my hundreds of books off at car boots too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back