Mmmm. I might just get a new battery (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
At the habitition check it was pointed out that my leisure battery is only retaining about 60% charge . I was told it should be ok for this season provided I am not parked up for more than a couple of days. although this will be the case I think I might just replace it. Anyone reccomend the best quality versus price battery from a company that does home delivery. My unit is a Compass avantgarde 400 RL. Things that use 12 v are water pump, lights and tv and igniter for gas hot water heater. Thanks in advance:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Tend to go for traction batteries myself.

But also recommend Banner as a good make :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure how they ascertained the capacity of your battery during a hab check though.......

The only way to know whether your battery is working to full capacity is a timed discharge at a known amperage.:thumb:

Or have one of those NASA BM1 thingies! I just do the maths, it's more fun than telly!::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph ordered 2 new Trojans ( traction) a couple of months ago.
When they were delivered one was empty , cracked . :whatthe:
They sent another out straight away. I thought we'd have to collect them when they were ordered , as they are heavy but delivery was included.
The NASA bm1 that jonanshell mention keeps Ralph amused for hours::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
[HI]Not sure how they ascertained the capacity of your battery during a hab check though.......
[/HI]
The only way to know whether your battery is working to full capacity is a timed discharge at a known amperage.:thumb:

Or have one of those NASA BM1 thingies! I just do the maths, it's more fun than telly!::bigsmile:

Alan DMS tested mine the other day as part of a hab check. He had a proper expensive looking gadget. (Snap-on I think) Hooks it up to your battery, press a load of buttons, it puts the battery under load and then in under a minute it prints out battery condition details. :thumb:

He supplies Banner batteries at a good price too

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
At the habitition check it was pointed out that my leisure battery is only retaining about 60% charge . I was told it should be ok for this season provided I am not parked up for more than a couple of days. although this will be the case I think I might just replace it. Anyone reccomend the best quality versus price battery from a company that does home delivery. My unit is a Compass avantgarde 400 RL. Things that use 12 v are water pump, lights and tv and igniter for gas hot water heater. Thanks in advance:Smile:

Measure the hole and go for the biggest that will fit. You have a wide choice of different constructions/brands/prices. We'd need to know your philosophy on such things before recommending.

I just went for a dirt cheap large non-sealed unit of unknown brand. Then, if I break it by accidentally discharging, I'm not in tears over some 300 quid fancy thing. It is also refillable.

Link Removed

I'm sure many would turn their noses up at it because it is a 6V Banner traction battery, but I'd probably have to pay 2 or 3 times as much for those and I bet they won't last that much longer and will require rewiring.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ralph ordered 2 new Trojans ( traction) a couple of months ago.
When they were delivered one was empty , cracked . :whatthe:
They sent another out straight away. I thought we'd have to collect them when they were ordered , as they are heavy but delivery was included.
The NASA bm1 that jonanshell mention keeps Ralph amused for hours::bigsmile:

I'm looking at getting a couple of trojan batteries once the summerholidays are over.
How did you find them.. I assume you got two 12v and not 2 6v?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back