RANT: Why do some accessory dealers take orders for goods not in stock? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Earlier this year I wanted a Battery Charge Manager for my son so ordered one on-line from CAK Tanks. I then received a phone call, after the order had gone through, to say that they had none in stock. I had to wait several weeks for delivery.

Last week I wanted a waste tank and found one which fitted my needs at CAK Tanks. This time I rang before ordering to be told that they had none and didn't know when they would be back in stock. The item is still available to order from their Leisure Lines web site despite that.

I then found a similar product at Rainbow Conversions last Thursday, checked by e-mail that it would fit my requirements, and then ordered by phone and was told it would be delivered in a couple of days. As there has been no sign of it (despite us deliberately ensuring there was always somebody in to take delivery) I just rang up to check to be told they didn't actually have one and don't know when they will have any more. Apparently my money has been refunded but nobody bothered to ring to tell me. The product is still available to order on-line from the Rainbow Conversions web site.

Why on Earth can't companies maintain accuracy in their web sites and stock records?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They may have them drop-shipped direct from manufacturer, so stock on their website cannot be effective as they do not hold them. Tanks in particular are quite bulky, so it may be storage costs/space they are saving by doing this.

Another point could be the economic climate, as I have found many suppliers are keeping far less stock than they used to! Probably because they do not want the exposure to excess stock levels if they do not more quickly - money better in the bank and all that.

You wouldn't beleive the agro I get sometimes from my suppliers - it seems the larger companies are the worst - getting theri products off them is like getting blood out of a stone! You would think they would want a sale!

I do think in your case, it is proabaly drop shipped for similar reasons - they have called manufacturer to get it sent and they have found out there are no more in stock. This leaves him having to refund you - but they SHOULD have given you a courtesy call - even offered different options and helped you find an alternative (unless that is just me being a mug again!:ROFLMAO:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Tis a sign of the times am afraid Graham. Stock costs money whilst its sitting on there shelf. Many things now are delivered straight from the wholesaler or manufacturer. Online stores in some cases are only middle men mongers. Its been happening in the automotive trade for years. They call it, just in time deliveries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can understand the need to hold less stock of bulky items but in this case I actually ordered over the phone - and after making an e-mail enquiry earlier in the morning. The reply to my e-mail gave no indication of non-availability and, anyhow, the person I spoke to could easily have checked first and rung me back if they have a drop-shipping arrangement.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I can understand the need to hold less stock of bulky items but in this case I actually ordered over the phone - and after making an e-mail enquiry earlier in the morning. The reply to my e-mail gave no indication of non-availability and, anyhow, the person I spoke to could easily have checked first and rung me back if they have a drop-shipping arrangement.

You email wasn't a automatic confirmation was it? If not, the dealer may have been getting a little complacent that the supplier would have in stock. Many dealers feel a little embarrassed about drop shipping, I don't know why - just be honest with the customer, and like you say - call them back with a confirmation. I know time can be an isse with bigger sites - but you need to make time!

Whenever I don't keep something in stock (there are some items due to cost/size i drop ship from factory), i tell people that I do not hold it here, and return the call as you have suggested with a confirmation of order, delivery date and so on.

Some just try to appear too 'big' when they are not!

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You email wasn't a automatic confirmation was it? If not, the dealer may have been getting a little complacent that the supplier would have in stock. Many dealers feel a little embarrassed about drop shipping, I don't know why - just be honest with the customer, and like you say - call them back with a confirmation. I know time can be an isse with bigger sites - but you need to make time!

Whenever I don't keep something in stock (there are some items due to cost/size i drop ship from factory), i tell people that I do not hold it here, and return the call as you have suggested with a confirmation of order, delivery date and so on.

Some just try to appear too 'big' when they are not!

No, it wasn't an automatic confirmation. I had asked for measurement details to ensure that it would be low enough to fit under the van.

I don't have a problem with drop shipping. When we had our family history business we used to sell some of our products through a drop-shipper as well as directly. The drop shipper sent us the customer details, including contact details in case there might be any delay.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I refuse to use CAK tanks because of the lousy service I received off them over two orders. I also hate it when a company takes orders for things they don't stock. I have in the past paid extra for next day delivery only for the company to tell me they don't have the items in stock.

I totally understand your frustrations on this subject.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure Peter (Johns Cross) will be chiming in on this thread soon:ROFLMAO: He holds hundreds of lines of stock and HATES those that don't.

You don't like drop-shippers do you Peter::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I refuse to use CAK tanks because of the lousy service I received off them over two orders. I also hate it when a company takes orders for things they don't stock. I have in the past paid extra for next day delivery only for the company to tell me they don't have the items in stock.

It depends on what you are buying, really. I don't hold batteries in stock - I can, but I won't. Do you want a battery that is new, or one that has been sat on the shelf for a year or two? I know what I would want, and when it can be on your doorstep by 8am the following day - it works fine.

Another item I do not hold are Lightbars - 95% are made to order anyway so are a 7 day delivery and sent straight from factory. Very few are generic, and these I do keep small quantities of.

I havn't got huge amounts of space here, but I do generally try to hold around 5 of everything that is not too bulky.

The other issue that is problematic is couriers ....but thats another thread for another time!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends on what you are buying, really. I don't hold batteries in stock - I can, but I won't. Do you want a battery that is new, or one that has been sat on the shelf for a year or two? I know what I would want, and when it can be on your doorstep by 8am the following day - it works fine.

Another item I do not hold are Lightbars - 95% are made to order anyway so are a 7 day delivery and sent straight from factory. Very few are generic, and these I do keep small quantities of.

I havn't got huge amounts of space here, but I do generally try to hold around 5 of everything that is not too bulky.

The other issue that is problematic is couriers ....but thats another thread for another time!

My order with cak tanks was for loads of plumbing supplies including many small parts.

I don't mind drop shippers providing they are CLEAR on their website that delivery is 5 days or 10 days not next day.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

Hang on...I was under the impression that we were not allowed to post negative reviews comments on here! Or is it that we cant post negative comments on dealers who are members? Whichever we do need some clarification.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have no problem with companies advertising a product along the lines of "will be delivered direct from the manufacturer, allow X days" or with a web site entry which states that the item is temporarily out of stock. So long as accurate information is given I can make a valid decision on doing business with a company.

In this case, though, we have two companies which established last Thursday that the products in question are not in stock and they don't know when (or even if) they will be available again. Yet, 6 days later, those products are still in the on-line catalogues and the systems allow them to be ordered as if there are hundreds available. That is totally different and is unacceptable.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have very few products available " on line" as frankly we are not a mail order business more an installation company. However, we stock a colossal amount of stock which we regularly send out on behalf of many small traders with a huge web presence. It is the trouble of the Internet.

I does make me smile when I look at web sites offering virtually every product, from every manufacturer, giving the impression of a huge organisation, when in reality it I know that the business is based in the back of a Transit, or a lock up:roflmto:

If I want to order online, and there are no stock quantities shown on the site, I phone and ask if it in stock. If the answer is no I buy elsewhere.

Too often, I've ordered things and then forgotten I've ordered them as they have not materialised, only to order them again :Eeek: Of course then the original arrives the same day as the replacement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back