Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
George Osborne has just announced that this payment will be temperature based, so those in warm climates such as Spain will no longer be able to receive it

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
So if you're a fulltimer with a UK contact address will they not be able to tell and you could still get it?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Quite right too...

I didn't claim for mine...

However next year I will claim for my air conditioning electricity allowance...

Old people die from being too hot as well as being too cold... right?

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Heating allowance

Most of us motorhoming/caravanning pensioners only go on holiday to Spain albeit long holidays so I'm sure that our heating allowance will still be paid:Cool:.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Any selective mechanism for deciding who should/should not receive something like fuel allowance will be somewhat crude. The main consideration from the point of view of the Treasury should be that the cost of identifying who should not receive it must not exceed the savings made.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I bet there was no mention of heating fuel subsidy reductions (paid alongside the benefits, winter and summer) that are being paid to now UK residents that are from much warmer climes...... No?

Agh, it must be easier to hit our pensioners with 'means testing' then.

AArgggggg:Angry:

Trikeman. :winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Any selective mechanism for deciding who should/should not receive something like fuel allowance will be somewhat crude. The main consideration from the point of view of the Treasury should be that the cost of identifying who should not receive it must not exceed the savings made.

I agree, but I doubt if the cost will be made public.
All that matters is "we have saved ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ", which looks good for political propaganda.

Crude or complex, it will be a complete balls up.
The cost of handling appeals and complaints alone will more than likely outweigh any stated savings.

Another good con from the daft ideas department.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
They swipe your passport in and out now-- they know where you are :Eeek:

You are, of course, theoretically correct... but...

I am in Portugal... I fly to Blighty... they know I am in Blighty... I fly back to Portugal... they know I went to Portugal... I drive to Toulouse via Spain... they know nothing...

Unless they want to and then they just ask Google...

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
All that matters is "we have saved ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ", which looks good for political propaganda.

[HI]Crude or complex, it will be a complete balls up.[/HI]
The cost of handling appeals and complaints alone will more than likely outweigh any stated savings.

true enough::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Crude or complex, it will be a [HI]complete balls up[/HI].

Not necessarily, Ed'n'Ed have to win the election first :ROFLMAO:

BTW, great comment at PMQ today "It isn't only people at Wimbledon saying New Balls Please" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Winter fuel payements

I used to work for DWP so know a fair bit about means testing. Talk of means testing in benefit terms is usually misguided because the cost of true means testing usually far outweighs the savings made. But.......if you simply make the winter fuel allowance a taxable income, then the is very little cost involved and it would ensure that those who do not really "need" it, wouldn't get it, or wouldn't get all of it.

Am I in favour of such a move? Truth is, I have mixed feelings, like most people. This would be the first year I would receive it, so if I don't get it then I can hardly claim to miss what I have never had. Also, if I can afford to take my van across the water and pay hundreds of Euros a month for site fees for a Winter pitch, do I really need the extra ÂŁ200? Probably not. Especially compared to the pensioners living at home on fixed incomes to whom ÂŁ200 is a huge sum.

On the other hand, if the government pays me the ÂŁ200, would I give it back? Not on your life. If the super rich can spend fortunes to pay their accountants to minimise their taxes, why should ordinary (ie not super rich) people help George balance his books.
:Smile:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Why the big fuss about winter payments to people living abroad ? Think of the money you are saving with us out of the UK.

Huge savings on the NHS
No free bus passes
No care costs

And we do pay income tax to the UK under the double taxation agreement !

And after 15years lose the right to vote even though the UK continue to take our tax :Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was under the impreion that you had to be in the UK and living here before you got to retirement age to be able to claim your winter heating allowance. So those who are under retirement age and living abroad, tuff tty.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Not necessarily, Ed'n'Ed have to win the election first :ROFLMAO:

BTW, great comment at PMQ today "It isn't only people at Wimbledon saying New Balls Please" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham,
Any party will make a balls of it.
Labour haven't the will, No-alition haven't the competence, none have the trust from Joe Public.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Strange.

We all condemn, offshore tax avoidance, Bankers, MP's expenses and yet on here we are openly discussing wasy that Funsters can "maintain" a UK address so that they can bugger off to Spain for the winter and still be paid a Winter Fuel Allowance. So much for "We are all in this together".

One interesting point made by George Osborne, was that you have to be able to speak English to allow to to be able to claim. He also went on to suggest that benefits should be based on contributions. I say YES...

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I was under the impreion that you had to be in the UK and living here before you got to retirement age to be able to claim your winter heating allowance. So those who are under retirement age and living abroad, tuff tty.

You are right :Smile: up till last winter that was the case but from last winter it changed that all retirees get it . So I have had it once !! So sure won't miss it :ROFLMAO: However it is the attitude that people who move abroad after retirement should get nothing that bothers me . Given as I say we cost the UK less and do pay tax !! To be fair I am sure that lots of folks do not know that is the case .

Deleted User
I still pay taxes and NI in the UK and use my sons house as my personal and business (partnership with son ) address but own no bricks and mortar anywhere. I 'bugger off' to Europe for 9 months of the year and receive the winter fuel allowance and it comes in useful but is not critical.

I do not think that anyone that can afford to overwinter in warmer climes should moan about losing this 'bonus', I accept it because it arrives in my bank account but if it stops I will not be upset.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I don't condemn tax avoidance. I advised clients for 15 years how to do it, using the legal UK tax system. If the government are serious about reducing the winter fuel allowance, they should start looking closer to home.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Quite right too...

I didn't claim for mine...

However next year I will claim for my air conditioning electricity allowance...

Old people die from being too hot as well as being too cold... right?

Eh? This isn't claimed for, it just appears in your bank account. Didn't you notice? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its the NHS next just had to fill in a hospital form asking if I had been out of the country how long why do I have a home abroad etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back