Place to stop Poland / Czechoslovakia (1 Viewer)

Doneromin

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
We are travelling the "Castle Road" through Germany, and Czechoslovakia (Prauge) into Poland, then returning back to Fussen,which is the start the "Romantic Road", heading north through Germany.
So far have one stopover organised in Oswiecem, If anyone has done that route,or know of any good places to stop, either in Poland or on the route back to Germany (Fussen, in the south) if so, the Lat/long I find is the easiest way to view them (Google Earth) then I can transfer the location to my tomtom.
I have installed the Stellplatz poi's posted by Don and Madge on my TT, (brilliant posting, thanks) bu I am struggeling to find stop overs outside Germany, am I right in saying they do not have parking places like Stellplatz's or Aire's in Germany/France???
Any other advice on this route would be welcome, I believe we need to get vignettes for Czech, what about Poland?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We are travelling the "Castle Road" through Germany, and Czechoslovakia (Prauge) into Poland, then returning back to Fussen,which is the start the "Romantic Road", heading north through Germany.
So far have one stopover organised in Oswiecem, If anyone has done that route,or know of any good places to stop, either in Poland or on the route back to Germany (Fussen, in the south) if so, the Lat/long I find is the easiest way to view them (Google Earth) then I can transfer the location to my tomtom.
I have installed the Stellplatz poi's posted by Don and Madge on my TT, (brilliant posting, thanks) bu I am struggeling to find stop overs outside Germany, am I right in saying they do not have parking places like Stellplatz's or Aire's in Germany/France???
Any other advice on this route would be welcome, I believe we need to get vignettes for Czech, what about Poland?

Hi first bit of advice would be not to call it Czechoslavkia they don't like that much. Czech Republic is more up to date.

We stayed in Prague last year but we used a site in Prague itself. A good site not to dear but wild camping in Prague wasn't our cuppa. Your vignette will depend on your weight as over 3.5t you need a gobox type thingy. Also you are restricted what time of day when you can drive in to Prague if over 3.5t

As for Poland please read don madges recent post called highway robbery.

Prague is beautiful btw and should not be rushed,

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As haggers says DO NOT call it Czechoslavakia - it is very important to them that they are Czech Republic. It is one of the only things that will really upset a country of extremely helpful, welcoming and lovely people.

Prague is absolutely fantastic.....but don't drive in the city for your own sake. It gets pretty hairy, as the driving is er...interesting. There are trams that run constantly. Park securely outside and take a tram/train etc into the city. The city itself is one of two halves. There is the 'posh' part with designer stores, movie stars and footballers - and the outskirts which is much poorer and in contrast. You need to see it all.

Architecture is amazing, as are the old eastern block cars. Top things you must see apart from the city itself is McDonalds.......hear me out! This is one place you will never regret seeing - it is exactly like any UK one. Boyracers turn up, flip paint, hydraulic suspension etc.....but they are ALL Skoda Estelles!! The burger you have here will be just as good as any you prepare on a barbeque at home! They are fresh, salad is fresh and twice the size - all very alien to us brits. But worthy of a lunch!

This is a good example of how the czech people are. We turned up not knowing much of the language. The manager said 'English? - Wait' - he got on the phone, and in a couple of minutes a girl came running in from a block of flats opposite who spoke English. Now THAT is customer care at its best - but shows how helpful they are!

The second absolute MUST is the Sedlec Ossuary near Kutna Hora just outside. Morbidly fascinating and a bucket list place that you will regret not seeing in your life. The City is amazing, and one of my favourites just for the buildings and history. Country lanes are poorly metalised, narrow and bordered by ditches, so keep alert. Worth looking though, as you see the real villages, metal 'shack' type buildings and so on.

It is lovely - have fun!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Doneromin

Doneromin

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Swift-Kontiki
Exp
8 yrs
Very intersting, thank you, Kotna Hora is on our artinary, then to Auschwitz , stopping at the "Centre for Dialouge and Prayer" and then on to the salt mine at Wieliczka. It was where to park up in between that concerns me, the only one we have booked is Oswiecim, I was wandering if other stop overs are easily en route, Germany is no problem, I must have a list with all of them.(and in my TT):RollEyes:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
A few years ago, a Prague scroat tried to break into our car parked outside the hotel. The VERY loud alarm soon scared him away, but not before he f****d up the bootlid lock.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
:thumb:Warsaw definately worth visiting - even just to see Stalins 'wedding cake' overpowering the whole city (I stayed at camping wok, trams & markets very nearby)....probably way out of your way but 'the wolfs lair' in northern poland is also not to be missed :thumb: Where Von Stauffenberg tried to asassinate Hitler and where he ran operation Barbarossa from. You can camp cheaply 'in' the wolfs lair amoungst the ruins with water & leccy...a motorhome camping experience right up there at the top of my list :thumb::thumb:

Polish roads are generally awful and so is the driving.:whatthe:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Very intersting, thank you, Kotna Hora is on our artinary, then to Auschwitz , stopping at the "Centre for Dialouge and Prayer" and then on to the salt mine at Wieliczka. It was where to park up in between that concerns me, the only one we have booked is Oswiecim, I was wandering if other stop overs are easily en route, Germany is no problem, I must have a list with all of them.(and in my TT):RollEyes:

At Auschwitz you can stay the night in the car park just over the road from the main entrance. We arrived one evening, had a meal in a nearby restaurant, stayed the night, went round Auschwitz the next day and then moved on to Krakov. We were both a bit grumpy for a couple of days which we put down to the horrors of Auschwitz.

We never book anywhere, and just carry ASCI, Camping Cheque and caravan club sites books with us, also lists of Aires and Stellplatz (BordAtlas). Mid afternoon we generally start to think about where we will aim for that night.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Stopping overnight at the car park\campsite at the centre for dialogue & prayer is much nicer than the MH park opposite the camp they also serve resonable meals. Plenty of EHC's to choose from if you need one & free wifi

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back