Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We just bought one from Lidl this afternoon. 300w with a battery connection and a cigar lighter connection for £24.99. Is this ok to use or is it a bit too powerful and will drain the battery quickly? Our last one was 150w but didn't last 5 minutes.::bigsmile: Also, would it harm my gadgets if we recharge whilst driving? Iphone, laptop, kindle etc ::bigsmile:

Ivy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Although it's 300 watts, you will only draw the power that you plug into it..

Example.. Our mains only LED TV draws 20watts... So I use an inverter and the drain is...
20watts... But these inverters are not efficient and you have to factor in power loss for it's use. Lets say the Inverter is 90% efficient so you loose 10%..
20 watts plus 10% (2) = 22 watts...
Having to large an inverter when you know you are using small power items can be a waste of power and money..

NOW.. !! This issue is that if you try to draw the max 300 watts you may find that your cigarette socket is NOT rated that high, some are only 100 or 150w max.. So if you plan to draw a higher power you need to connect direct to the battery...

Be aware that high power devises may run ok from an inverter but will drain the battery,,
If you used it to capacity of 300watts divide that by 12v = 25 AMPS !!! You battery wont last to long....

Make sense ?????

The best thing for iphone and ipads etc are the Griffin USB chargers,,, Work great,
Link Removed

Last edited:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Certainly your cigarette lighter socket is unlike to deliver 300W. Sockets often fused at 10-Amps which is 120W beyond this you really need to hard-wire the inverter to the battery.

Personally think 3-Amps is too much for many cigarette plug/sockets! They're rubbish!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I wouldn't use an inverter where there is a low voltage optional available.

Kindle and iPhone will both charge from a cigarette to USB converter - so don't use an inverter, its pointless going from 12v -> 240v - > 5v!

Likewise with a laptop - plenty of 12v laptop chargers available, either multi-voltage or fixed to go from 12v -> 19v in one go.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Used our 300w inverter to run the Sky box over the past 3 weeks, ok half the time we were on a hook up anyway but we were off mains for 5 and 6 nights in a row in that period and the tv was on 12v too as was lights and pump of course, with a drive most days and the solar panel we had no problems.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Ha ha - love your avatar pic. I'm sure I know those people.

Looks like this inverter needs to go back then. One problem is that my kindle takes hours to charge and takes up the cigar lighter space. In fact it doesn't really hold a charge for too long. I use it to play sudoku and read mainly. I'll have a re-think. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry - me again. So do we think this is what I need?

Link Removed

::bigsmile:

Ivy

thats an excellent price for the 12v laptop supply, and yes its what you need. be quick as it ends in 20mins

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Ha ha - love your avatar pic. I'm sure I know those people.

Looks like this inverter needs to go back then. One problem is that my kindle takes hours to charge and takes up the cigar lighter space. In fact it doesn't really hold a charge for too long. I use it to play sudoku and read mainly. I'll have a re-think. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

If you're running out of sockets to use you need one of these:

Some also have USB and 12V outlets.

If you do use the 300W inverter just be aware connecting 300W loads to it will draw slightly over 30A.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back