Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Well should we still patronise Portugal after their recent revenue raising exercise on the Brits Bingo game.
Everyone arrested at one of the Brit bars, even the spectators fined 150 euro for just watching and given a three month suspended sentence Players fined 300 euro and three months suspended and bar owner fined 700 euro and three months suspended sentence, her husband fined 500 euro and four months suspended.
The Police also seized the tin of biscuits which was to have been the prize.
The Police had 'steaked' out the bar for several weeks prior to the swoop. BBC link

Now I know they are short of money in Portugal but is this the way to increase their revenue from tourism or will it turn and bite them with us deciding to take our euros elsewhere to spend them

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It does seem a bit over the top I must admit.

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Well lets just hope they do not decide to raise any revenue from motorhomes wild camping spots. There again they are now on my places to be avoided list.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its illegal and the landlady knew that it was, then its all down to her. she should pay all the fines

we dont like people coming to our country and flouting the laws we live by, so why should we do the same abroad? we are visitors in their country and bound by their laws no matter how strange or draconian they may seem to us :Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This reported incident won't put me off...

If I chose not to go to a place because of something that seems unjust to me then I would not be able to go anywhere in the world and ESPECIALLY not the UK.

Still...

Looks like there could be more off site space for me here for me :thumb:...

JJ :Cool:

PS. Bet there is more behind this story than revealed in that report.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
To slag off the Portuguese police over Maddy is typical of the Red Top fuelled arrogance displayed by many Brits.

I know who I blame over that disaster...

JJ :Cool:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Personally,

I think that anyone who plays bingo should be subjected to a fine. :winky:

Even watching funsters playing at Stratford had me in tears, Not Gail though, she won it all. :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Make sure you are aware of the laws of the country you are visiting - first rule of travel!

I think the landlady should have known or researched the legalties behind an event such as that - though to us, it seems harmless fun - they have their laws, and they must be respected.

Remember in some countries, they legally smoke dope - doing that over here would see them getting nicked, so little difference really.

Landlady should have known or asked the local police for advice when planning an event....even asked other bar owners...costs nothing to ask!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
any one playing bingo and eating fbp should be horse whipped nothing would put me off going back to portugal as for maddie speak to the residents at praire de lux like i did they have a different view on it and don't forget they was there :Smile:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I think where the rule of law starts to come unstuck is when the Police have been turning a blind eye to breaches of the law and then decide to clamp down on that aspect. To be fair to the UK it is usually preceded by a publicity campaign to give the public a fair chance at knowing which way the wind is blowing before the clamp down is made. I am sure there are plenty of laws that are broken by the British public every day that if the police chose to they could turn into revenue.
Would not effect all of you people who chant if it is the law and you have broken it etc.etc.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I think where the rule of law starts to come unstuck is when the Police have been turning a blind eye to breaches of the law and then decide to clamp down on that aspect. To be fair to the UK it is usually preceded by a publicity campaign to give the public a fair chance at knowing which way the wind is blowing before the clamp down is made. I am sure there are plenty of laws that are broken by the British public every day that if the police chose to they could turn into revenue.
Would not effect all of you people who chant if it is the law and you have broken it etc.etc.

Looks like the Portuguese Boys in Blue must have been on a training course in Morocco. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back