Flat battery. (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We have a Compass Avantgarde 100. Haven't driven it for a one week, but did do 700 miles to the Lake District and back over the previous week. Went to drive it for a weekend away- dead battery.
The engine battery was new in February. We had left a little switch just inside the motorhome door in the on position, but nothing was taking electricity from it.
My question is: If the engine battery drained when we had left the switch on in the motorhome and were not using anything, what will happen if we don't have a hook up and just use the leisure battery for lighting and water pump. Don't know much about the electrics of a motorhome so any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a constant issue for some that the alarm, the radio and some other equipment continue to drain the van battery when its stood idle. As reassurance I would get the alternator charging circuit tested to be sure its working as intended though

Upvote 0

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If, If all was off then you need to let someone look at it who knows what their doing. Nothing worse then faulty electrics for doing your head in.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With our 2003/4 Autoquest 100 we had to top up the engine battery every couple of weeks in winter but it was OK in summer. One thing to check is whether the radio was fully switched of or whether it was just muted. A muted radio, together with the alarm, can be a drain in the battery. If that was not the case then I agree with Steve, have it looked at by a pro.

You don't mention the age of your van but the leisure battery circuit in our van was completely separate from the starter battery circuit. We used to use a free-standing 50W solar panel which kept the leisure battery topped up in summer without the need for EHU (though we used EHU in winter). I subsequently fitted a CAK Tanks Battery Charge Manager so that the panel/EHU would also keep the starter battery topped up.

Upvote 0

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
its a constant issue for some that the alarm, the radio and some other equipment continue to drain the van battery when its stood idle. As reassurance I would get the alternator charging circuit tested to be sure its working as intended though

easy to try this yourself, just stick a multimeter across the battery with the engine running, you should see over 14 Volts, turn the engine off and it will drop to under 12V, then the alternator is working fine.

Is it possible your leisure battery has died and its pulling charge out of your engine battery?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back