A report on a garage in Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been having very real issues trying to get the clutch changed in my MH
It is a standard 2006 2.8 Pug Boxer chassis but no one seemed either willing or able to take the job on.. Well no one local to me that is.

Acting upon a recomendation from Richard ( The Scotties ) I approached a company call Simmonds located in Diss, Norfolk
The company does mainly big commercial stuff including buses

First contact and to be honest I thought 'here we go again' !
Gave the chap all the details and he said he would ring back

But Lo ! Two hours later and I get the call..
Yes, no problem apart from the cost.. It is a BIG job on that particular model and is listed at a minimum of 9 hours in the book.. The quote is £450 plus £3.50 environment tax, plus VAT.
As you said you have the clutch kit and have told us it is a LUK we are happy to fit that one for you.
You should expect a few extra pounds for gear box oil and sundries

OUCH !
But after struggling for more than 8 weeks to find anyone to take it on I swallowed hard and agreed

A day was agreed and I was asked if it would be possible to drop it over the night before so they could work on a cold engine unit from early on

I then got another fone call quite late in the day asking if I could drop it over that eveing as they had had a head job cancellation..

No problem and with Woman following we took it over and delivered the van

First impression

This is a BIG organisation
The site is massive ( several acres ) with beautifully clean, well appointed workshops, reception area, secure parking and truck wash facilities

I left the keys with them and was thanked for dropping it over.

Rang them yesterday to ask how things were progressing.
All good, no issues.. we will ring you tomorrow about 10 am

Fone call at 10 am today
All done.. If you want to collect it now you can but if it is inconvenient you are welcome to leave it here in the secure compound over the weekend

We shot straight over !! ::bigsmile:

Upon arrival I saw the van over the other side of the site being washed down ( first surprise )
Went in to reception and was met by a friendly lady who sorted out the paper work.
She proffered the bill which totalled £499.60. Considerably less than I was expecting ( second surprise )

She said the job had not taken as long as expected and was therefore less labour. The environment tax had also been removed as I had asked for the old parts back so they had nothing to dispose of ( how honest is that ! )

I paid the bill and the lady walked me to the back of the building where a chap was just finishing leathering off the van.. He then got a hoover on the go and cleaned all the inside of the cab too ( third surprise )

The lady stood there and waited until the chap was done and I had strted and tried the van

I thanked them both and left.

First impression was a MUCH light clutch which worried me somewhat.. But did the usual High gear, drop the clutch at high revs test and she bit IMMEDIATELY.. absolutely solid..

I took a good look around when I got home and must say that as a mechanic myself I was suitably impressed with their work and methodology .. Everything clean and in place.. perfect.

To sum up.
Courteous.. Honest.. Diligent ... Good workmanship... Good facilities, and with an hourly rate of £36.00 plus VAT far from exorbitantly priced

If you are in the Norfolk area and need major work done on the chassis cab side of your motorhome, I would strongly recommend you give these people a chance.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Nice to hear a good report! :thumb:

You often find the HGV mechanics are less fearful of hard work - in fact it was probably a doddle for them, and nice to work on something lighter. Also nice to hear that people are still performing service washes - that seems to be a dying trend nowadays when it used to be a standard everywhere.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sounds absolutely brilliant John, they are a bit further away from me but very difficult to find anyone local to me able to work on anything larger than a roller skate :Angry:

I shall make a note of their details for future reference.

Cheers, Brian

PS is this the one?
Simonds Garage Services

Roswald House, Oak Drive, Diss, Norfolk, IP22 4GX​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like the people I need to do my gearbox when I am ready for it...

Thanks for the recommendation... :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds absolutely brilliant John, they are a bit further away from me but very difficult to find anyone local to me able to work on anything larger than a roller skate :Angry:

I shall make a note of their details for future reference.

Cheers, Brian

PS is this the one?
Simonds Garage Services

Roswald House, Oak Drive, Diss, Norfolk, IP22 4GX​

Yes.. Sorry ! I was convinced it was Simmonds and not Simonds ! Thank you for the correction Brian :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes.. Sorry ! I was convinced it was Simmonds and not Simonds ! Thank you for the correction Brian :thumb:

Sorry John, not trying to pick you up ....... I didn't check the spelling just googled them and cut & paste to check it was the right company.:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No !! I genuinely appreciate you picking up on it mate :thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Service

Took a while but all came good in the end!
I can't deny I was waiting for the "then it all went wrong".
To be fair, that wasn't a bad price either.

Nice one

Peter

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
I have had them do my MOT for the last 2 years and have found them to be very good also.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well worth remembering - thanks for letting us know and pleased it all worked out well :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back