Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
G'day mates, Mark from Australia here.

The missus and I are starting to plan our 12 months away in England/Europe/wherever next year and it's looking very much like we'll be aiming at touring around in a campervan/motorhome.

Still a little sketchy on the details, but we both have British citizenship through our parents and will have a fixed address in Manchester as well as British passports/bank accounts etc.

Obviously there's LOTs for us to learn, not only about the vehicles and what might be best for us (we're planning to go to shows/etc here and scope out vehicles 'in the flesh' as well as tons of reading) but also in rules/regs for licensing/registering/insuring/touring around EU's different countries.

Anyhow. This is a meet and greet thread, so won't go into too much just yet, but you have an idea about where we're coming from and hopefully going to!

Mark :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, in answer to your first question, I know I'm physic one of the few places you can get insurance is "downunder insurance", as you need to be a UK resident normally to get insurance here.
Other than that enjoy the site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Mark, welcome to the best motorhoming site that good old Blighty has. Enjoy your adventures and keep us all posted as we'll follow your travels with interest. Any questions or if you need any info, post them on here as we've a wealth of knowledge and experience just waiting to be shared :thumb::thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
G'day.. !!

Dont forget the "tim tams" ... Do they still sell em ???
Used to love stopping for a cuppa and a Tim Tam when we toured over there...:thumb:

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi again all and wow, didn't expect such a fast response given it's my night here, but then I checked and it's your morning near lunchtime :)

Wildman said:
as you need to be a UK resident normally to get insurance here.
Thanks for the tip here Wildman, but it makes me curious. If I'm a british citizen, and have a permanent address, and a UK bank account....what else do I need to do to become a resident?

And yes of course, Tim Tams are still in abundance, original flavour is best :)

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Good Morning and welcome.
I suspect the reason why they may need an UK address is to check the voters roll to see if you exist and that you have not defrauded any other insurance company, having said that they must have a way around that, may I suggest that you contact Johns Cross Motorhomes, he is a valued and trusted trade member on here and I am aware that he does hire Motorhomes, look on the right adverts.

Link Removed
Enjoy

ShiftZZ

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
G'day mates, Mark from Australia here.

The missus and I are starting to plan our 12 months away in England/Europe/wherever next year and it's looking very much like we'll be aiming at touring around in a campervan/motorhome.

Still a little sketchy on the details, but we both have British citizenship through our parents and will have a fixed address in Manchester as well as British passports/bank accounts etc.

Obviously there's LOTs for us to learn, not only about the vehicles and what might be best for us (we're planning to go to shows/etc here and scope out vehicles 'in the flesh' as well as tons of reading) but also in rules/regs for licensing/registering/insuring/touring around EU's different countries.

Anyhow. This is a meet and greet thread, so won't go into too much just yet, but you have an idea about where we're coming from and hopefully going to!

Mark :thumb:

If you're here for a year, then buying/reselling will almost certainly be cheaper than renting. Are you intending to transfer your driving licence? It costs 50 quid and you might make that back in insurance, although you'd need to wait 3 weeks. Probably not worth the hassle, though.

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Ahh yes, the voting register/electoral roll/whatever.

I don't plan to vote while there, and I'm sure you have non voting residents (although I don't count as a minor anymore hehe)

I'll contact John Cross when I know a little more about what we plan on doing, need to read a LOT of forum posts first :) but thanks for pointing me in that direction.

We'll be definitely looking to buy (and then sell when finished), not rent, but as yet have only vague ideas about what we might want.

As for the license transfer I'm open to anything that will give us more spending money, allow us to register/insure a vehicle.

Thanks for all the assistance, I hope to come up to speed relatively quickly so we have a solid idea of what we need to accomplish in the first month or so of landing :)

Cheers,
Mark

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks for the replies.

Still a little vague on permanent residency, but I'll go in faith with just paying the 1000-1500 with Downunder and that way there's no quibble in the unlucky event that I need to claim.

I'd rather the peace of mind !

And I really appreciate that we have psychic's here ! that could come in very handy.

like how about this weeks national lottery numbers or something? :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
How did your family manage to keep their house in Manchester when they were transported to Oz for their minor misdemeanors?:roflmto:

Sorry mate! Only joking, you are very welcome here and there is a real depth of experience, especially on the subject of touring Europe!

Happy travels!:thumb:

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks for the welcome, and don't you know there are always ways of legitimising ill-gotten gains :Blush:

I've started putting together the wish list of what we'd like in our MH, and our preference is mostly wild camping (we're currently using a Camper Trailer after upgrading from a tent, and tend to always camp in basic or no facility locations so as long as we can find good wild locations we'll be happy).

I'm a little concerned about cruising around all those pokey streets/lanes in a monster of a vehicle though, but I'm sure it's doable and I'm trolling through the newbie forums and I'm sure I'll pick up hint's/tips there.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Hello and welcome, don't forget your Macintosh, Wellingtons, snow chains, sun cream, we may well be full when you get here but we will make room and give you a good welcome, don't forget the Fosters, whiskey, brandy, etc. I hope your ready for Great Britain 2013\4 keep your valuables safe a lot of twelve fingered pick pockets around now.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
thraxugrut

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
hehe. no-one drinks Fosters in Aus mate :p

And now you've done it. The missus is already worried enough about burglary of motorhomes and wanting to look at a stealth van conversion. I can now see us playing tetris every night trying to set up the bed :Doh:

Ahh well. It'll be better than working regardless hehe

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
hehe. no-one drinks Fosters in Aus mate :p

And now you've done it. The missus is already worried enough about burglary of motorhomes and wanting to look at a stealth van conversion. I can now see us playing tetris every night trying to set up the bed :Doh:

Ahh well. It'll be better than working regardless hehe

OK don't worry to much it's not that bad really just pays to be discrete sometimes, big cities are the worst I would say, with the recent influx of European's plus our own nary do wells, just pays to keep valuables out of sight as normal when on holiday, a sad fact but one we have to live with all over the world; most of all watch out for the worst bunch of gangsters and tea leaves when going past the houses of parliament!!.

But I hope you have a good time I'm told it's how green everything is that Australians notice the most,

And don't worry about the wet stuff falling on your head is just good old British rain or if you look at it in another way a free shower!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Mark you have a personal message

Join us or log in to post a reply.