Free Member
Jun 20, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hello!

My wife and I are yet to acquire a motorhome but we have started the ball rolling by hiring one this September for a long weekend for a try-out. We are comfortable with confined spaces - we recently sold a 25' yacht which we used for holidays and weekends away.

We have looked inside some lovely new models but our purchase probably early next year will be secondhand. In addition to weekends and holidays, I shall use it as a base when I am out (I travel to see my clients and family throughout England and Wales) so it will be good to have a home from home rather than a hotel room.

I'm here to learn! I've driven LWB vans and larger so the size does not concern me. Just trying to get to grips with budgets and what we may need to lay out. Prices between some second-hand sites seem to vary so much. We may want to buy and then trade up in a few years and travelling to Hungary to see friends is also on the "to do" list.

Looking forward to gaining more of an insight before we take the plunge!

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
hi

might be on my way down your way tomorrow shell island

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mike & Wife

heading to Anglesey & North Wales on Saturday for a 3 week tour of Wales & South Coast, first real trip we have had since bought MH last July. It took us almost 2 years to find the right van at the right price, yes lots of new shiny one but we wanted a good second hand one, our was an 07 and cost under £20k but depending on model etc you can spend a lot more and do not forget the cost of all the extras that you need, BUT watch what you buy and don't rush into anything.
for example we bought expensive sleeping bags then saw the Duvalys and bought them !!! Think about what you would like in a van and what extras you would want then make a list with tick boxes then just keep on looking till you find a van that ticks MOST of the boxes.
Also watch out on the age thing as may need new tyres and timing belt fitted, I got caught with both so set me back best part of £1k so watch out. Also make sure that the van is NOT DAMP major problem with some vans !!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Mike and welcome:thumb:

We need more Welsh on here.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
New to the MH life

Hi Mike,

You will get loads of excellent advice on this terrific site and chances are most of us have learned the hard way! We are on our third van now and I think we have finally got what we want and more importantly, what we need. We spent seval years going to the shows before taking the plunge.

First we bought a new overcab 4 berth Dethleffs with a rear bed and large garage. Great van, but we found that the lounge and bathroom were too small and it was generally only the 2 of us in the van.

Then we bought another new van; a twin single bed, rear bathroom Chausson. Another great van, but not as solidly built as the Dethleffs. The lounge wash an improvement and the beds and rear bathroom were great. The fuel consumption from the 6 speed 2.3 Fiat unit was around 32mpg. Downside was the long overhang, the lack of external storage and the relatively flimsy build quality.

So we swapped that for our current van, bought second hand (five years old at the time). It gives us everything we need and the build quality was first class. W changed to Hymer on the recommendation of our friends who already owned one and glad we did. They don't come cheap but we have no regrets is swapping new for old.

Incidentally, our Hymer friends have recently switched to a LWB IH TIO. Just as long, but narrower - they like to get down all the narrow,lanes. We are content to use the cycles if the local roads are too narrow, but it is a reminder that the type of use you will,put the van to, is important.

Happy hunting!

Gary:Smile:

OP
OP
sp2mike

sp2mike

Free Member
Jun 20, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks

for all the welcome messages! However I must confess I am an immigrant from Essex via Kent ::bigsmile:

Sadly the weather here has taken a turn for the worse today and we have rain which some say is typical but don't believe that. We run a holiday cottage and our guests all leave here well tanned...

Must say that seeing some of the motorhomes on the motorhomesforsale.co.uk site (which I discovered today) I am most confused on pricing as some are considerably less than dealers are asking - I realise private sellers are more of a risk and don't offer warranties but am surprised by the difference. No doubt I will weed out scammers in due course if we go that way.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
for all the welcome messages! However I must confess I am an immigrant from Essex via Kent ::bigsmile:

Sadly the weather here has taken a turn for the worse today and we have rain which some say is typical but don't believe that. We run a holiday cottage and our guests all leave here well tanned...

Must say that seeing some of the motorhomes on the motorhomesforsale.co.uk site (which I discovered today) I am most confused on pricing as some are considerably less than dealers are asking - I realise private sellers are more of a risk and don't offer warranties but am surprised by the difference. No doubt I will weed out scammers in due course if we go that way.

Oh well, you can't have everything can you.

I have gone in the opposite direction.

Where in West Wales are you?

OP
OP
sp2mike

sp2mike

Free Member
Jun 20, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Oh well, you can't have everything can you.

I have gone in the opposite direction.

Where in West Wales are you?

No you can't ... ::bigsmile:

We are just outside of Foelgastell, 2 miles west of Cross Hands in Carmarthenshire. Used to live in Tonbridge.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you mentioned using it as a business vehicle, this can open a large tin of worms regarding insurance so also something you may want to look into

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Croeso i'r fforwm!! (Welcome to the forum!) :winky:
You have joined as member of a fantastic group.

OP
OP
sp2mike

sp2mike

Free Member
Jun 20, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
you mentioned using it as a business vehicle, this can open a large tin of worms regarding insurance so also something you may want to look into

Thanks, yes I have looked at this and will need to make sure that aspect is covered.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the FUN.... you've already made the first right decision by subscribing to MotorhomeFun..... you'll easily get back the cost of the subscription in top tips and advice and discount at some top traders.

We spent a magical week in West Wales, round the New Quay / Aberystwyth area.... loved it to bits and will deffo be returning!

Get some stickers for your MH windows so we can spot you out in the wild... see you at a rally/meet soon hopefully.

Simon

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
:welcome: from me too, living in Wales but from Kent :thumb:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Mike and welcome to the brilliant world of motorhoming::bigsmile:

good luck with whatever you get as i'm sure you'll be as hooked as the rest of us:thumb::thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi Mike - :welcome: from two ex-west walians ...

... now in Basse-Normandie:france:

davibubb

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 year's on and off
Hi Mike, We have not long moved from Foelgastell to Carmarthen
Welcome :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have a good look around the layouts and decide what suits you. For every good point, their is a compromise - so you have to think very carefully! Old way I used to think of things is to ask yourself 'Could we stand being stuck inside for a few days?' Daft question - but can discount many you may look at.
Garages are great for storing things, but are reknown for being draughty so may not be good if you want to go to colder places, or winter weekends away. U shaped lounges add a nice spacious lounging and lower bed area, but this makes to loo door/oven door access an issue as they tend to have little space to open the door of the oven.

Every good point has a polar opposite - and finding the right one will mean a compromise on something...it is what it is all about!

Get used to prices, keep looking and get used to what gets what. You can get cheaper 07-10 era models (early new shape) as they had 'juddergate' issues that may or may not have been rectified - so find out. Quality was poorer than older models on these as recession was just starting, 4 day week etc. You will find upholstery is thinner, and not as comfy etc. Dont be suprised if you see older models for sale at higher prices than some newer ones. Some prefer more comfort, dry clutch and easier maintenance.

You will certainly start getting cheesed off with looking before you find the right one - that I can guarantee!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,and welcome from us in Llantrisant-we bought our van at CLV in Cross Hands-it was previously owned by a couple from Laugharne who have holiday homes ::bigsmile:

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back