Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Hi everyone,

We have just loaded the Dometic fridge in our MH ready for our brief 'learning trip' maiden voyage, when we are spending a couple of nights each in Hawes and Knaresborough CC Sites.

Despite following all the instructions regarding leaving the fridge on EHU for at least 12 hours, removing the two 'winter protection' vent grilles outside and of course, making sure the power source selector is switched to the correct setting. We don't feel that the fridge is cool enough to store the food in safely :Sad: and wondered if anyone can offer any advice?

Need a quick reply on this one please! :thumb:

Thanks

Steve

OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Hi everyone,

We have just loaded the Dometic fridge in our MH ready for our brief 'learning trip' maiden voyage, when we are spending a couple of nights each in Hawes and Knaresborough CC Sites.

Despite following all the instructions regarding leaving the fridge on EHU for at least 12 hours, removing the two 'winter protection' vent grilles outside and of course, making sure the power source selector is switched to the correct setting. We don't feel that the fridge is cool enough to store the food in safely :Sad: and wondered if anyone can offer any advice?

Need a quick reply on this one please! :thumb:

Thanks

Steve

Sorry I forgot to ask. Am I right in thinking that the thermostat selector works clockwise for maximum cooling? Could the fact that my MH is parked on my 35 degree sloping drive be the cause, i.e. does the frdge only work properly when parked on level ground?

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sorry I forgot to ask. Am I right in thinking that the thermostat selector works clockwise for maximum cooling? Could the fact that my MH is parked on my 35 degree sloping drive be the cause, i.e. does the frdge only work properly when parked on level ground?

35 degree slope :whatthe::whatthe::Eeek: Sounds like that IS your problem.

My Dometic fridge is MUCH colder than my fridge at home :whatthe: the manual says must be less than 3 degree slope.......

Did you mean 35 or 3.5 ?

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Sorry I forgot to ask. Am I right in thinking that the thermostat selector works clockwise for maximum cooling? Could the fact that my MH is parked on my [HI]35 degree sloping drive[/HI] be the cause, i.e. does the frdge only work properly when parked on level ground?
That's quite steep and is probably your problem. Many m/h fridges will only work up to around 6deg slope .....
at our previous property with a slope on the drive we had to use leveling ramps to make the fridge work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
:thumb: Thanks to everyone for your kind advice. I thought it might be the slope (yes it is 35 degree), but couldn't find anything mentioned in the manual about this. Anyway, will have to resort to plan B and park overnight on the road right in front of my house, with the EHU attached.

Just hope I don't get pestered for illegal parking.:RollEyes:

Thanks

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I can never understand why people don't bother with levelling chocks when their fridge will work more efficiently if it's level.

I have one of those cheapo eBay LCD thermometers with a sensor on a wire. I've fitted the LCD into the front panel of the fridge, and hang the sensor in the middle of the fridge so I can keep an eye on the temperature inside. We aim for about 5 degrees C.

I'm led to believe that the best position for the thermostat on a Dometic fridge is about halfway, and that works for us, but only experimentation will sort that out.

However, fridges fitted in northern European MHs don't cope very well with southern European ambient temperatures in summer, like 40 degrees C or more, as we experienced last summer in Southern France. Our fridge wasn't working on 12v at the time so all we had was gas whenever we stopped. The freezer worked all the way through but at times the chiller compartment wouldn't go below 16 degrees C (Yes, 16) and the metal draining board above was getting seriously warm as the heat exchanger tried to cope. Since the 12v has been fixed things have been a lot better, but they're not heavy duty kit so you have to make some allowances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back