navigation on android tablet/phone (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi I am of on a cruise soon and I would love to see whereabouts I am what free sat nav can I download. I will need something that didn't need internet connection so any suggestions ? Thanks in advance Paul

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi I am of on a cruise soon and I would love to see whereabouts I am what free sat nav can I download. I will need something that didn't need internet connection so any suggestions ? Thanks in advance Paul

I use Co-Pilot and Googlemaps...........both on Android :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Navfree works for me:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well obviously Google nav/maps need Internet
Co-Pilot costs..

Navfree is a good alternative apparently
(I use Co pilot)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Im off to the USA in a few weeks, Bungy told me to download Copilot. If I come back you know it works well. If I don't ? Bungy obviously doesn't like me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I also use NavFree works a treat but dont think it will work at sea as all countries and states have to be downloaded separately. Callumwa spends his life at sea so he could have the answer.:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well obviously Google nav/maps need Internet
Co-Pilot costs..

Navfree is a good alternative apparently
(I use Co pilot)

Not quite.............Co-Pilot is free if you don't need lane control and voice, and with Googlemaps you can download 'tiles' of area's you wish to use for offline use :Smile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Check out MAVERICK, that gives you access to all sorts of different maps, including OS (actually better than the OS app), Microsoft....in fact loads.

I got the Pro version for free through AppGratis' daily deal. Even so, it's only £3.23....................................:thumb:

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Paul,

I use Navionics chart plotter software. I have it on the boat, iPad and iPhone and I think I only paid 99p for the iPhone version. I also paid £199 for the boat version which does the same thing :Eeek:

I take iPhone when we go on cruises and it tells you speed and direction all on a chart showing your actual position. I really like it and it works on GPS so no charges ::bigsmile:

Have a great cruise

Andy

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
do you have to have an Internet connection to use Nav Free

No, and as I have said a few times on here, I used to work for an electrical wholesaler and tried many satnavs they sold and I have found that a nexus 7 and navfree works better than any of them, it never gets lost and never has to go off to reroute it shows where you are immediately if you ignore it and turn off the route

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not quite.............Co-Pilot is free if you don't need lane control and voice, and with Googlemaps you can download 'tiles' of area's you wish to use for offline use :Smile:

Fair one re co pilot.. But I would always want voice from a sat nav tbh
(some of its other features are quite good too)
But Google map tile download isn't very practical (or obvious to a lot of ppl) for long distances.. I agree for local travel it's excellent..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Link Removed

My Tracks records your path, speed, distance, and elevation while you walk, run, bike, or do anything else outdoors. While recording, you can view your data live, annotate your path, and hear periodic voice announcements of your progress.
With My Tracks, you can store your tracks with Google Drive, Google Maps, Google Fusion Tables, or Google Spreadsheets, or export your tracks to external storage. With Google Drive, you can also sync your tracks, share tracks with friends, and see the tracks your friends have shared with you. With Google Maps, you can share the map url with friends via Google+, Facebook, Twitter, etc. With export to external storage, you can select GPX, KML, CSV, or TCX format.

Apocalypse

Free Member
Jun 11, 2013
Halesowen, West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato hi-line
Exp
Nav free :thumb: even better than my built in satnav on my stereo head unit, who loves taking me down country lanes, even when I am driving alongside a motorway !!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I don't know a huge amount about Android apps but I was tempted to try NavFree. Only thing I am not sure about is when you go to install and get to the 'permissions' screen it says the app can 'directly call phone numbers' under the 'services that cost you money' section.

Does this mean the app can actually make phone calls or am I misunderstanding this?

Paul

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't know a huge amount about Android apps but I was tempted to try NavFree. Only thing I am not sure about is when you go to install and get to the 'permissions' screen it says the app can 'directly call phone numbers' under the 'services that cost you money' section.

Does this mean the app can actually make phone calls or am I misunderstanding this?

Paul
I must admit I didn't notice that when installing mine. I have been using it for a year or two and never notice any phone calls, Not sure how it will make phone calls while just using GPS.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Paul

Not on a nexus it can't , no phone on it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back