LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have four feeding stations round our property`s...

Not in the winter, but of late I can top them all up....

And within minutes there are about 40 "Crows" tearing and knicking all the food... all the little birds dont stand a chance.... :cry:

Do "Scare-Crows" actually work... ?

Dont want to make any if they are`nt any good, or if the crows get complacant and take no notice..

What does scare the things away..?

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We have four feeding stations round our property`s...

Not in the winter, but of late I can top them all up....

And within minutes there are about 40 "Crows" tearing and knicking all the food... all the little birds dont stand a chance.... :cry:

Do "Scare-Crows" actually work... ?

Dont want to make any if they are`nt any good, or if the crows get complacant and take no notice..

What does scare the things away..?

just station the feeders hung in a position where the smaller birds will have to hang upside down but the larger stuff pigeons & Crows etc cant reach from a nearby perch. they soon tire of trying to hang with no support.:thumb:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We had the same problem and now suspend our feeders on wires so that they are clear of any branches where the larger birds can perch.:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The crows wake us up every morning at 5am as the daft old bugger next door puts trays of food down in his back garden.

Driving everyone around here mad..............100s of them arrive every morning...but the old fella next door is a nutter and doesn't care.

I bought this cd off the "bay" last year that has various bird of prey attack calls on it ....I copied it ( it was an American thing second hand)
and gave it to the neighbors........it runs for about an hour and now and then screetches...........and youls with sounds like dinosaurs mating its frightening stuff.

My mate the other side of the offender and myself both put it into our cars
opened the doors and blasted it out full pelt at 7am.The crows all took off........the nutter must have wondered what on earth was happening over his hedges to the north and south.........it certainly worked.

Trouble is the noise is worse than the crows......and they soon came the following day.......we did have a good laugh though:)

barry:Smile:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We had the same problem and now suspend our feeders on wires so that they are clear of any branches where the larger birds can perch.:thumb:

We did that with those huge Fir Cones stuffed with Suet and all kinds of stuff that the wood peckers love.. and hung them in the tree`s thinking that there is no room for them to fly.. (Enclosed by other branches) cant land on the branches to close/tight but they manage to fly from under onto the cones... :Sad:

But the crows still manage to get a hold and strip them...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
The crows wake us up every morning at 5am as the daft old bugger next door puts trays of food down in his back garden.

Driving everyone around here mad..............100s of them arrive every morning...but the old fella next door is a nutter and doesn't care.

I bought this cd off the "bay" last year that has various bird of prey attack calls on it ....I copied it ( it was an American thing second hand)
and gave it to the neighbors........it runs for about an hour and now and then screetches...........and youls with sounds like dinosaurs mating its frightening stuff.

My mate the other side of the offender and myself both put it into our cars
opened the doors and blasted it out full pelt at 7am.The crows all took off........the nutter must have wondered what on earth was happening over his hedges to the north and south.........it certainly worked.

Trouble is the noise is worse than the crows......and they soon came the following day.......we did have a good laugh though:)

Must be interesting , living down your road :ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I did this with our bird feeders. The cage is just two old hanging baskets linked together, much cheape than a purpose made one. It keeps the bigger birds off but allows anything from finch size down to get in. I have seen starlings using the feeder but unfortunately these are rare visitors to the garden now. The little feeder is just right for the gold finches, blue tits etc and the fat feeder attracts all birds, including black birds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Must be interesting , living down your road :ROFLMAO:

Its lovely in my semi rural lane...the crows get on our wicks ....but the guy I called a nutter is as quiet as a dormouse and actually no trouble apart from his fixation of feeding the birds with trays of who knows what at 6am :)

We have a few clueless "townies" in this quiet country lane....this older lady came up to me gently holding a baby rabbit she had found in the verge up the lane......"What shall I do with it she said ".........After telling her she should have left it there
I said "Give it to me......" I paused and said " I'll hit it on the head with a shovel "........aghast...she took it home ! This is the same lady who let the rooks start off with two nests in a tree in her garden.......and now there are 15
and a bloody great colony.... she wont get rid of them as " they might not like it and where would the poor things go ?""

A couple of blast from a shotgun a couple of years ago to destroy the nests and life would be much quieter for all .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I find a 12 bore tends to get the message across to the crows. for some reason they dont like the noise or the hot pepper shot flying fast in their direction :ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our problem has been pigeons taking all the food from the bird table so we now have a wire grill of roughly 3" squares around it that only smaller birds can get through.
The large birds now only pick up the scraps that fall to the floor :thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
These work really well

http://www.scarem.co.uk/bird-scaring-kites/scarem-hawk-kite

And they rarely come down and if they do they take off by themselves.

I would hope that smaller birds wouldn't be too bothered by them although not sure, if they kept them away as well at least you'd never need to re-fill your bird feeders:Doh:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Stone the Crows

Try regrouping the bread he leaves out and