Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Just had an e mail from a mate of mine.............

Just heard from some people back from peniscola spain 5 vans were broken into on a camp site the it would appear that knock out gas was used and every think stolen you can buy gas alarms we have one

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I'll 'ave two, one for each nostril :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

Just heard from some people back from peniscola spain 5 vans were broken into on a camp site the it would appear that knock out gas was used and every think stolen you can buy gas alarms we have one

ask your mate to supply their names

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Cool:who's selling these gas alarms???????? Dell boy got some he got to get rid of know what i mean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm down in peniscola at the moment and nobody has heard of any gas attacks or break ins , so who is spreading these stories again who ever they are they need medical help :Eeek::Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
It is always a mate of a mate. More scare mongering
Names ages and birth cirtificates. Required lol

I am in England. Nog many gass attacks reported here
It must be a Spanish thing

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
:Cool:who's selling these gas alarms???????? Dell boy got some he got to get rid of know what i mean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm down in peniscola at the moment and nobody has heard of any gas attacks or break ins , so who is spreading these stories again who ever they are they need medical help :Eeek::Eeek:

It is always the one who had been eating beans that denies the Gas
come on Glynn own up:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Assuming you started the thread with the best intentions milpol1 thank you for the warning but...

These rumours of being robbed after being "gassed" have been around for years and years and years and I do not know of anyone on here who believes that they are true.

People aren't robbed when they have been knocked out by gas. People are robbed because they are sound asleep and the thieves are very quiet...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Gas fear

As a relative newcomer to the weird world of motor homing I find the gas thing very conflicted. Motorhome Mayhem and Madness mag has two, "I was so totally gassed in France dude" letters this month whereas the Vicarious books very fine work on foreign travel for the uninitiated points out that the Royal College of Anaesthetists would love to know what gas would do this as science hasn't found it yet.

For my part I found four months in the gassing countries this year quite devoid of knockout nastiness.

Were we lucky or is this all total hors**t?

Urban myths and rampant paranoia are all too common. No wonder the first camp warden we met after buying our starter van said she was too scared to go abroad unless in convoy.

Spread the word. Use your common sense and you will be fine (DV)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.

You have to have been "on the gas" to buy these alarms! This annual story is alarmist rubbish.

Richc69

Free Member
Jun 28, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months in to our Motorhome experiment
Gas alarm sales rep by any chance?

I bought one, but more as a concern over LPG leaks and carbon monoxide, but then you read the blurb and to work properly they have to mounted at different heights to be effective with different density gases, so not that useful. We just have a 'beware of the kids' sign to deter break-ins ;)

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Having lived abroad and travelling regularly for the past 14years, both by motorhome and car, we feel we are qualified to say " do not take these warnings lightly". We are very safety minded people and have still been broken into. We now avoid the services on the southern French Spanish borders at all costs.
Once we had stopped there to take a rest. We were on the brightly lit car park, together with about 20 other motorhomes. My husband dozed, whilst I sat. I heard a click but thought nothing of it. Half an hour later I was dozing and my husband shouted to a man sat in our passenger cab seat. He was going through the paper work in the glove compartment. My husband chased him out of the mh and suddenly there was about 15 motorhomes alarms going off. Bedlam, shouting and screams. My husband saw the gang drive off in an old motorhome. They had gone round the car park, which was lit up like a football stadium, and clicked open the door locks and then returned half hour later to enter the vans.
Last year I drove my granddaughter to spain. We had to stop and i noticed the tell tale car stationery with four/five men . We pulledup and they came very close to our vehicle. I decided Iwasn't getting out and we would move on to the next services. On arriving we noticed the same car and men. Needless to say I drove in and straight onout. These are the men who can tamper with your tyres. This can sound very dramatic but it is true. We are not wanting to scare anyone but this is just a couple of the incidents we have seen or been involved in. Although we haven't been gassed! The Guardia Civil are aware of these Romanian gangs. If someone says an incident has occurred . We always listen. Enjoy but be cautious, thieves are in all countries. Complacency can be dangerous

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The fact that people get robbed in their motorhomes is not in question... but they are not gassed first...

It is "gassing" that others and I take lightly not robbery.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
I did not wish to imply anyone who had posted was taking the subject lightly, and yes I understood "gassing" was the main reason for the post. I was just stating that when travelling a very long way how easy it is to doze off and how easy it is to be robbed. The first time we went abroad we were totally oblivious to the "bandits" way of working and I was just giving my view. I thought we would be safe with 20 other motorhomes, in a brightly lit car park, outside a food outlet. I felt we had picked a safe spot to park for an hour. I was wrong.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

So you mate heard from someone else who has no personal knowledge of what happened. But it appears gas was used. OK so the vans might have been broken into but what evidence is there that gas was used.

I think it would be far better for everyone is people did not report gas attacks unless they had personal knowledge/evidence.

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
For Comfort and security
A small Price to pay :thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
The golden rule for the Spanish motorhomers is never, never, ever stay on a motorway service station aire or car park in Spain or the rest of Europe. This is advised on all the Spanish forums. You are always advised to leave the motorway and drive to the closest town and park outside the Police or Civil Guards Stations. They treat complaints such as this one with the same disdain as gassing - infact, they say that anyone who does stay on a motorway service station deserves to be robbed!

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Assuming you started the thread with the best intentions milpol1 thank you for the warning but...

These rumours of being robbed after being "gassed" have been around for years and years and years and I do not know of anyone on here who believes that they are true.

People aren't robbed when they have been knocked out by gas. People are robbed because they are sound asleep and the thieves are very quiet...

I beg to differ....i Personally know of fellow funsters whom i refuse to name, have been gassed whilst on a motorway aire in france..

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I beg to differ....i Personally know of fellow funsters whom i refuse to name, have been gassed whilst on a motorway aire in france..

I rather think those that have been robbed whilst they slept have probably been in a very deep sleep through tiredness and not being used to driving a motorhome that distance. They may, as many of us do when they slept too heavily, wake up with a headache.

Fit an alarm if it makes you feel safer, they have other uses such a gas leaks etc - but don't fear attacks anymore than the chap standing on your roof with a severed head.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
"Since this debate rattles on from time to time, with much deliberation over how and what, I thought I'd try to get an expert view on the feasibility of using narcotic gases to knock out the occupants of motorhomes/caravans.

Since they do this all the time, so to speak, I thought I'd ask the Royal College of Anaesthetists. Somewhat to my surprise, they provided the following reply. Interesting isn't it? Sleep tight folks!

Dear Mr Kirby,

Thank you for your enquiry. I would like to inform you that you are not the first enquirer with this question. Professor Hatch, our Clinical Advisor, has given the following previous comments:

"I can give you a categorical assurance that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect of the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a rag, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.

There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However, these would be unlikely to be able to achieve the effect you describe, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. The only practicable agent is probably the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege - I advised the BBC on their programme about this. The general feeling is that they used an agent which is not available outside the KGB!

Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia, which is what we are really talking about is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports you talk about are true I would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported."

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Ms Shirani Nadarajah
General Administrator

Professional Standards Directorate
The Royal College of Anaesthetists

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Not disputing what you say for one minute, but why don't they come forward to be the first ones who were the actual people gassed to prove the point

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
WHY oh WHY would robbers not just wait till you were out for the night and take the lot unhindered rather than mess about with gas that would maybe harm them just as much as the intended victims, and more risk of getting caught.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Not disputing what you say for one minute, but why don't they come forward to be the first ones who were the actual people gassed to prove the point

because the only real way of knowing would be to take blood gasses analysis. To do so would still not (without great expense) identify the specific product used.

The above post by me is in italic to not post it off as my own research. Although I do have some good Dr friends whom are Anaesthetists who laugh when I tell them of these motorhome woes.

We would not read about gas attacks, we would read about deaths in Motorhomes on several occasions when these things went wrong, especially as many MH's are of the old and in some cases very old generation. Some are also overweight, some very, some so much so that they would of been refused operations due to the possibilty of death on the operating table.

However, becoming ill from a poor gas connection in your van is a good reason to buy a detector, and a large newfoundland dog should help with the burgalrs unless she her self gets [HI][STRIKE]gassed[/STRIKE][/HI] Wined up

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For Comfort and security
A small Price to pay :thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

I'm sorry... A narcotic gas detector... Does it mention which narcotic gas it detects??
Does it detect anything else such as carbon monoxide .. Which has narcotic effects..
Does it seriously meet any standards for anything at all.. ???
I am finding it difficult to take it seriously

(must remember to put my base metal to gold converter on ebay)

Last edited:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Eeek::Eeek:can you get gassed if our leave your windows open? Would think it's like blowing a tyre up with a hole in it ?...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back