Clutch change ? yer right !!!! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Four places now.. Drive to the place.... They look all over the van... nod sagely and say with absolute confidence "yes sir, we can change your clutch no problem.."

And four times, delivered the van only to get a call a couple of hours later saying oops.. cannot do it.. All pathetic crappy excuses but all boil down to one thing.. My particular model is a bugger to do.. Pug reckon 9 hours so at best 6 or 7

Nemo had his done last week.. no trouble !

Mind you, the place he went to I have not tried yet but after the fun and games they had with his they might not be too keen to take mine on :winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Four places now.. Drive to the place.... They look all over the van... nod sagely and say with absolute confidence "yes sir, we can change your clutch no problem.."

And four times, delivered the van only to get a call a couple of hours later saying oops.. cannot do it.. All pathetic crappy excuses but all boil down to one thing.. My particular model is a bugger to do.. Pug reckon 9 hours so at best 6 or 7

Nemo had his done last week.. no trouble !

Mind you, the place he went to I have not tried yet[HI] but after the fun and games they had with his they might not be too keen to take mine on[/HI] :winky:

Or they might think. Wow we figured the last bugger out, we can do this a lot faster this time :thumb: Probably with some reference to buses and 2 at a time.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well Nemos one was easy.. Pug say 5 hours.. they eventually did it in about 10 from what I can gather ( but to be fair it was not their fault and they actually had to do it twice after a plastic bit that is supposed to last for ever broke up when they finished the job and was test driving it ! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not sure which engine your pug has, but my 3.0l ducato recently had its clutch fail. the garage that did the work took 9 1/2hrs and had two guys on it at times. they were cursing it as it was so awkward.

mind you, having read up a bit on the net, the 3litre clutch is known to just explode and destroy the gearbox. thankfully although the clutch on mine had the centre of the plate shatter, it didnt take the gearbox out. as this is a known issue for both fiat and peugeot, i am surprised that there hasnt been a recall, so i'm keeping my receipt in case

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Phone them and ask
Then you will know one way or the other
As they have sorted one for a family member you now know that they are more than capable of completing the work to a good standard
Even if they charge you a higher price than before
It would be worth it in the
end to sort the driving problem once and for all

Bite the bullet and make that call
Good luck

Ian
Ps keep us all updated as to how you get on

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I do not know how bad your clutch is nor whether you would be interested in traveling this far (you could include the Lake District in your next holiday!) but post it to possibly help others.

I had my Fiat Cam Belt changed by Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk)

His 'standard charge' for all Fiat motorhomes is now £225.

He has a secure and patrolled yard with two electric hook ups and a water tap. A courtesy car is available on first come first served basis.

Mark removed, cleaned and lubricated the starter motor and adjusted the clutch for me as well as fitting the complete cam belt kit.

The total bill was still what he quoted at the start and the Hymer seemed to run much better.

He does not only do cam belts but will undertake any work as per his website.

I cannot speak too highly of this firm with which I have no connection other than satisfaction for a job well done at reasonable cost.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't know if these can help they have a reasonable rep locally
and branches in Wisbech and Peterboro

http://www.concordeautocentre.com/car-clutches

Roger
Rang them Roger.. 'Please hold'
No mate .. sorry

Phone them and ask
Then you will know one way or the other
As they have sorted one for a family member you now know that they are more than capable of completing the work to a good standard
Even if they charge you a higher price than before
It would be worth it in the
end to sort the driving problem once and for all

Bite the bullet and make that call
Good luck

Ian
Ps keep us all updated as to how you get on

Rang them this morning.. still waiting to hear if they are willing to take it on..

Pug main stealer want £1100 to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is it one of those stupid dueal mass things ?If so I think it was said last week to change the whole lot to a normal proper clutch ::bigsmile: try pm geo :thumb:
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Broken Link Removed of Northampton charged me £900 the other week to do the clutch

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have you tried your local BT Fleet workshop? The Colchester one has a good reputation and their prices are good. You never know........

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is it one of those stupid dueal mass things ?If so I think it was said last week to change the whole lot to a normal proper clutch ::bigsmile: try pm geo :thumb:
terry

No, fortunately it just predates them ( it is on an 07 plate but the chassis is, I believe from 04 or 5) and yes, I have the replacement clutch already.. Had to as there are five different ones !

Broken Link Removed of Northampton charged me £900 the other week to do the clutch

At £900 they aint THAT bloody friendly ! For that dosh I might as well let the main stealers do it !

Have you tried your local BT Fleet workshop? The Colchester one has a good reputation and their prices are good. You never know........

Interesting.. The nearest on to me is almost 40 miles away though so a bit of a pain in the butt to drop the van off, come home and then return to collect it..

Still waiting to hear from the people who did Nemo's van last week, but if I hear nowt by the end of the day I have actually come up with a possible plan ! :winky: ( and nope, it does not involve matches !!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. I finally found a firm ( Thank you Richard ! ) willing to take on the replacement clutch.. and I have got to supply the clutch assembly ( which was £180 in the end )

£453.70 PLUS VAT, PLUS any fluids used.. £550 .. I tell you folks, if this is gonna happen every 30+,000 miles or so I do not think I will be able to afford to keep the ol gel much past a couple more years

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
Wow, why is it burning a clutch every 30k ?
I have vans, of all kind`s, running all over the place, and have never had a clutch before 100k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back