Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
Just back from first trip with Cheyenne 696.Fabulous weather.However I noticed a fair bit of condensation in one headlamp.Should I be concerned ?what are the likely causes ?Thanks in anticipation

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Angus,

I would check the rubber grommets? that cover the holes for inserting the bulbs, I had a car where the grommet kept slipping off letting moisture in.

you can take the bulb out and hair dry the inside through the hole or put a silicon sachet you get in new shoe boxes inside then seal for a few hours for it to work.

I have had condensation cause rusting on the bulbs but no long term damage.

Cheers
2dogs

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Is it a new shape Ducato (250)
they suffer from this and there is really nothing that can be done, having the lights on drys them out but it always returns

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As already stated, it will be the rubber seal on the back of the headlight often people change a bulb and find it difficult to put back on - so they do their best or leave it off. Other cause my be the seal between the lense and glass. Rarer, but possible.

To 'Cure' it, check the rear sealing cover, if unattached - that would be the cause. Remove cover/bulb and pop a hair dryer in the lense to dry it out. Allow to cool, and then refit the bulb/sealing grommet and that will be done.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Modern headlight units are not sealed, as such, they should have ventilation holes to allow any water to evaporate.

One reason for water ingress is a blocked scuttle drain causing water to cascade over the back of the light unit. Also, if you regularly park on uneven ground, with the scuttle outlet pipe at the high side water will flood the drain without the outlet being blocked.

First make sure the unit vent is not blocked then find the water source.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
As already stated, it will be the rubber seal on the back of the headlight often people change a bulb and find it difficult to put back on - so they do their best or leave it off. Other cause my be the seal between the lense and glass. Rarer, but possible.

[HI]To 'Cure' it,[/HI] check the rear sealing cover, if unattached - that would be the cause. Remove cover/bulb and pop a hair dryer in the lense to dry it out. Allow to cool, and then refit the bulb/sealing grommet and that will be done.

[HI]Modern headlight units are not sealed, as such, they should have ventilation holes to allow any water to evaporate. [/HI]

One reason for water ingress is a blocked scuttle drain causing water to cascade over the back of the light unit. Also, if you regularly park on uneven ground, with the scuttle outlet pipe at the high side water will flood the drain without the outlet being blocked.

First make sure the unit vent is not blocked then find the water source.

A man that knows what he is on about:thumb:
This is the reason it can not be "cured" as stated in a previous post
The heat from the bulb will evaporate it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back