We have a plan ! But need YOUR input folks (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, we have missed out on malvern every year as we are usually out of the country..

However, this year we are gonna book up and be there !!

Sooooooooooooo

The plan is this...

We leave Norfolk on the morning of the 16th of August and go straight to the show..

We will do the show and either leave Sunday or if poss wangle it to leave Monday

Now then...............

Woman has never really seen Wales, so I would like to go from Malvern in to deepest Wales, spend a week doing sights ( recommendations please :thumb: )

After that we will wander up north, taking in the lowlands of Scotland ( again, recommendations please :thumb: )
Then work our way back south on the east side of England finishing up at Lincoln for the show ( 21st of September )

That will give us a 5 week trip and allow us room to take in two shows plus a few weekends in October to do some adhoc stuff before we start doing hardcore cold stuff again ! ::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Wales seems to have everything, ok maybe not always the weather but......

Stunning beaches,
Miles of walking if that's what you want. Pick anywhere outside a town!
Castles, historic towns.
Industrial history. Best school trip I ever took kids on was down Big Pit.

In Powys you can stay overnight in any council car park. One night in one car park in a week ( if that makes sense)
My favourite places last year where
Hay on Wye, missed the Festival but lovely town.
Brecon, walking along canal.
Brecon Beacons,
Cwmcuttan.
C & CC site I can't pronounce but quite nearby.
Welsh National Eisteddfod ( in North Wales this year)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't forget the campsite with the best views in Wales. Link Removed :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
John,
If you're taking a steady trot to Scotland from Wales, dont neglect Lancashire's Forest and Trough of Bowland.
Lovely part of the world, scenery as good as antwhere in the UK and not too far off your route.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ok, we have missed out on malvern every year as we are usually out of the country..

However, this year we are gonna book up and be there !!

Sooooooooooooo

The plan is this...

We leave Norfolk on the morning of the 16th of August and go straight to the show..

We will do the show and either leave Sunday or if poss wangle it to leave Monday

Now then...............

Woman has never really seen Wales, so I would like to go from Malvern in to deepest Wales, spend a week doing sights ( recommendations please :thumb: )

After that we will wander up north, taking in the lowlands of Scotland ( again, recommendations please :thumb: )
Then work our way back south on the east side of England finishing up at Lincoln for the show ( 21st of September )

That will give us a 5 week trip and allow us room to take in two shows plus a few weekends in October to do some adhoc stuff before we start doing hardcore cold stuff again ! ::bigsmile:

A WEEK????????????????? Maud will still not have seen Wales!!

Best bet then - head for snowdon and get the train to the top - all being well and the clouds aren't down she'll get to see quite a lot of it :ROFLMAO:

seriously though....all depends on what you class as sights, quite a mix in a small place (but perfectly formed obviously)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Firstly, you can stay at Malvern until Monday with no problem, if that was a question.

Secondly, Anglesey is not to be missed.

Thirdly, Scotland is a long way. Get to Dumfries and turn left down the Solway Firth. Beautiful!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Firstly, you can stay at Malvern until Monday with no problem, if that was a question.

Secondly, Anglesey is not to be missed.

Thirdly, Scotland is a long way. Get to Dumfries and turn left down the Solway Firth. Beautiful!

Yes it was a question sort of so cheers for the clarification :thumb:

Scotland... a long way ? Gerrofff !!!!!

Remember, usually when we do the summer jaunt we often bang out 500 miles plus a day.. Scotland will be but a mere step for us :winky:

I would like to take in the lakes area but every single time I have been there is has rained ( hard ! ).. Used to have a regular run to Keswick at least once a week on the bike.. All year, no matter what the season, it rained on me :Doh:

Red Kite ??? never heard of it.. proly some out of the way backwater place that is miles from anywhere,, cheap as chips to stay at and have nowt but stunning views.. errrrr..... Best I put that on the itinerary then !!

Oh and Woman has just expressed an interest in visiting Cookson Country ( gents, google is your friend, ladies, you KNOW what she is talking about ::bigsmile: )

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
John, if you are going as far West as Jim's then it would be criminal not to visit Pembrokeshire:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
John, if you are going as far West as Jim's then it would be criminal not to visit Pembrokeshire:thumb:

Ok.... why ? Need a bit more to go on than that young man !! ::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Also...dont forget that once your off the main routes in Wales - the other roads are slow going in the summer months...it can easily take >3hrs to do 90 miles..in fact it took us just that to get back last night and we were on the main north/south main route down the border...and it wasn't particularly busy.

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
hi john we might do the trip with you as we have already booked for lincon! Hopefully the house will be rented and diane will have finished work.:thumb:
this could be a start of a convoy "rubber duck" :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Not forgetting to visit Combe Cuttin, our Dylan's CL with "Fishing" on site. Snowdonia national park and the Ffestiniog mountain railway, gorgeous, then go on to Anglesey, then on to the lake district. Dumfries is a magical place and an ideal way into Dumfries and Galloway, err how much time do you have.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Visit the Llyn peninsular, make for the tip near Bardsey Island and take in the views from the old coastguard station. Stay here - http://www.tynewyddfarm-site.co.uk/ and visit Aberdaron village (National trust car park in the village).

Any of the magnificent rides on the narrow gauge railways, portmeirion village, pontysyllic viaduct and Llangollen.

Apologies for my spellings of the welsh names, but every time I leave this message to check spellings I lose what I have typed in.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Wales, may seem like a small part of the country, but there is so much to see, we live there and I have still just touched the edges.

Do you want country side / sea side / or architecture and history its all there.

Cardiff with its Castle with all the animals climbing over the walls, and the Bay as well St Fagans all worth a visit.

St David's with the smallest Cathedral there is a CCC site not far from the sea great walks and rides round the area.

Great coastal walks in Pembrokeshire.

North Wales my area....never get tired of visiting Snowdonia & Anglesey, Would not do the bottom road but get on off the A55 around Conway / Llandudno with the pier and Great Orme.

Bedgellart / Pwllheli / Betsy-Coed well worth a visit.

If you get a bit of sun on Anglsey you will want to return there Mountains of Snowdonia in the distance and Sea with beautiful coastal walks all around.

Lots of little villiages around to look around.

Last edited:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Wales....

Last week we had a magical few days in the southern Cardigan Bay area... between Aberystwyth and Cardigan itself. Of particular note was the little seaside town of New Quay (not to be confused with the better known Newquay in Cornwall) and if you can get down to the bay/inlet of Mwnt you'll not be disappointed.

Fantastic scenery... mountains, sea, cliffs.. it's all there!

Simon

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Here's a taster

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eDous6FZNv0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eDous6FZNv0[/ame]

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And there you have it.. Even the advert 'bigging up' Wales could not be shot in sunshine !!

Woman wants to do it so it will be done.. ( of course ! ) but I know my luck and will be taking lots of stuff I can do IN the van in the rain !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back