lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well I had quite a productive day today, washed the motorhome including the roof, then decided I'd have a look at the grey waste. Once under the MH I discovered there was a large drain cap, un did this and got my arm all the way inside and gave the whole tank a really good scrubbing. Also managed to get the hose inside and get to the parts I couldn't reach so now all nice and clean and smelling lovely.

Also did the roof which was actually quite clean considering we sit near trees. So far since owning this MH 5 months now I have dismantle the cassette and washed it out even using a tooth brush, washed the clean water tank and stuck some tabs init and flushed them out. So I think my next job is going to be washing the underside of the MH as noticed it was a wee bit dirty while under there.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Well I had quite a productive day today, washed the motorhome including the roof, then decided I'd have a look at the grey waste. Once under the MH I discovered there was a large drain cap, un did this and got my arm all the way inside and gave the whole tank a really good scrubbing. Also managed to get the hose inside and get to the parts I couldn't reach so now all nice and clean and smelling lovely.

Also did the roof which was actually quite clean considering we sit near trees. So far since owning this MH 5 months now I have dismantle the cassette and washed it out even using a tooth brush, washed the clean water tank and stuck some tabs init and flushed them out. So I think my next job is going to be washing the underside of the MH as noticed it was a wee bit dirty while under there.

When you have done yours can you come round and do mine please

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Couple of cupfulls of Bio washin powder does the job of cleaning grey waste tanks, just drive around for a bit with some water in it. Cheap and easym just mix it up in the sink and pull the plug and let it drain into tank

Peter

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've got to say Gerry, that you are a wee bit keener than I am........ whoever buys your 'van will be a very lucky person :thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Couple of cupfulls of Bio washin powder does the job of cleaning grey waste tanks, just drive around for a bit with some water in it. Cheap and easym just mix it up in the sink and pull the plug and let it drain into tank
Peter

Yes Peter that is our normal method but as we just acquired this van in Febuary I just like to make sure everything is nice and clean even though its just 2 years old.

I've got to say Gerry, that you are a wee bit keener than I am........ whoever buys your 'van will be a very lucky person :thumb:

Hopefully that won't be happening for a while :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

fer gawd sake man...you do realise that some of the better halves of the fellas on here read this stuff...I forsee some comments like

"did you know that gerryhughes gets his arm into the waste water tank to give it a clean...when did you last do ours? Oh and while your at it take a look at the loo cassette, im pretty sure its not as clean as his!":Eeek:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012

Also did the roof which was actually quite clean considering we sit near trees. So far since owning this MH 5 months now I have dismantle the cassette and washed it out even using a tooth brush, washed the clean water tank and stuck some tabs init and flushed them out.[HI] So I think my next job is going to be washing the underside of the MH as noticed it was a wee bit dirty while under there.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would be washing the underside maybe just a good brush down with hand brush as I would be concerned for water ingression

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Also did the roof which was actually quite clean considering we sit near trees. So far since owning this MH 5 months now I have dismantle the cassette and washed it out even using a tooth brush, washed the clean water tank and stuck some tabs init and flushed them out. [HI]So I think my next job is going to be washing the underside of the MH as noticed it was a wee bit dirty while under there.[/HI]

If you do I hope you're going to fit a brush on the front to clean the roads so it doesn't get mucky again :ROFLMAO:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
How bizarre why would anyone want to hand wash the inside of a waste tank, I thinbk this is what you call over the top.
Best suggestion for me when mine was smelling was regular use of cheap bio washing liquid, if it don't smell its clean !!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would assume that the fact that the grey tank has a large cap would be to facilitate such cleaning. I haven't done it on ours (in fact, I've not looked underneath our van) but on several occasions over the years I've taken the seal cover off the toilet holding tank in order to clean/lubricate the seal and give the tank a good clean inside.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What's wrong with cleaning the waste tank then! Good practice in my view - well occasionally. :thumb:

I have cleaned inside the waste tank twice in six years - did it a couple of weeks ago. Despite using bio detergent, it can still get pretty mucky. The reason for my latest 'long-arm' action was that the indicator gauge was showing 1/4 full even when the tank was empty. On looking inside the tank with a long-handled mirror and a torch I could see a build-up of sticky black muck on the sensor rods. Rubbing them with a green pan scourer sorted out the problem and all is now working again.
The manual for our van says the tank should be rinsed via the inspection hatch on a regular basis. However, i'm not going to those extremes as the first time I did it, there was a slight dripping from the hatch. I think it needs a new sealing ring, but the then main dealer (Brownhills) recommended a squirt of silicone sealer so that is what I use.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I normally put a 2ltr bottle of Cola in an empty tank on the last leg of a journey home, it,s surprising what rubbish comes out in the bucket. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
But have you fixed the flapping EHU cover? :roflmto:

That was on the last van and it was the 12v pump flap couldn't find a replacement for it anywhere

Also did the roof which was actually quite clean considering we sit near trees. So far since owning this MH 5 months now I have dismantle the cassette and washed it out even using a tooth brush, washed the clean water tank and stuck some tabs init and flushed them out.[HI] So I think my next job is going to be washing the underside of the MH as noticed it was a wee bit dirty while under there.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would be washing the underside maybe just a good brush down with hand brush as I would be concerned for water ingression

Sorry when i said underside i meant the chassis and under the wheel arches the rest will if i do it get a brush as you mention but thanks for the tip.

How bizarre why would anyone want to hand wash the inside of a waste tank, [HI]I thinbk this is what you call over the top[/HI].
Best suggestion for me when mine was smelling was regular use of cheap bio washing liquid, if it don't smell its clean !!
Hi it wasn't over the top the tank is underneath:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Each to their own as was mentioned above it suggest in the manual to give it a rinse out via the drain cap. Also as i only purchased the van a few months ago i don't know the full history so if i get all these jobs done now it will save me doing them them for a while.

I'm certainly not the tidiest person around but i do like things to be clean when i have time to do them why not.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
fer gawd sake man...you do realise that some of the better halves of the fellas on here read this stuff...I forsee some comments like

"did you know that gerryhughes gets his arm into the waste water tank to give it a clean...when did you last do ours? Oh and while your at it take a look at the loo cassette, im pretty sure its not as clean as his!":Eeek:

Ha, ha! Now funny you should say that............I read more of the comments on here than Bill does and I was more than a bit concerned about Gerry using a toothbrush around the cassette:whatthe:
However, I must say I like a man that can do a thorough job when cleaning something..........it's a very rare thing:winky:
Margaret::bigsmile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I cant be first to make a toothbrush joke, can I::bigsmile:

As for cleaning my grey tank I never see what comes out as I am too busy driving along:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Being a Scotsman,I hope you didn't through it out Gerry.You should get a couple of quid for it on eBay!
::bigsmile:

Vlad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back