Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi, have any
members experience of this unit before I throw £640 towards one please?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From another place.. :winky:

A dealer posted this..
"The main problem with the ones that we sold, was the instructions state that it is easily removed to use on a table, when parked under a tree! for example It isn't Undoing the centre LNB connection is nightmare. In my opinion the unit is not suitable to be moved on and off the motorhome.

That the blurb gives you the idea that very little space is needed, which is not correct. This is because, due to the software, the dish opens through such a degree that virtually doubles the area needed once it starts to sweep. and takes too long to find AstraII

The control unit is designed to be surface mounted, yet all of the wires stick out of the side so aesthetically not brilliant, and the wires have molded plugs so cannot be shortened to tidy this up.

I put the these issues to them at Excel, but I fear that nothing will change until the importers have sold the first batch which runs into hundreds.

We stopped selling them based on these observations and feedback from our customers.

I would recommend the ignition wire be connected because should you drive off and leave the thing up by mistake it could be ruined and damage the roof of your motorhome, neither things would be covered under warranty.

Personally I would much rather have a manual system or the new Avtex semi automatic system."

Personally... I used to like the Maxview manual crank up.. Had 2 fitted in the past..

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
From another place.. :winky:

A dealer posted this..
"The main problem with the ones that we sold, was the instructions state that it is easily removed to use on a table, when parked under a tree! for example It isn't Undoing the centre LNB connection is nightmare. In my opinion the unit is not suitable to be moved on and off the motorhome.

That the blurb gives you the idea that very little space is needed, which is not correct. This is because, due to the software, the dish opens through such a degree that virtually doubles the area needed once it starts to sweep. and takes too long to find AstraII

The control unit is designed to be surface mounted, yet all of the wires stick out of the side so aesthetically not brilliant, and the wires have molded plugs so cannot be shortened to tidy this up.

I put the these issues to them at Excel, but I fear that nothing will change until the importers have sold the first batch which runs into hundreds.

We stopped selling them based on these observations and feedback from our customers.

I would recommend the ignition wire be connected because should you drive off and leave the thing up by mistake it could be ruined and damage the roof of your motorhome, neither things would be covered under warranty.

Personally I would much rather have a manual system or the new Avtex semi automatic system."

Personally... I used to like the Maxview manual crank up.. Had 2 fitted in the past..

Excellent feedback:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes have a Maxview now and very pleased with it, a mk1 to. If I go for the I sat I have a huge unused roof space so all that review is fine, I have seen it before though but was from somebody who didn't sell that unit only more expensive ones so was hardly impartial.
Mine I will fit and it will stay put so the flexibility cobblers is no interest.

Looking for feedback from a purchaser ideally for accurate/unbiased info.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Yes have a Maxview now and very pleased with it, a mk1 to. If I go for the I sat I have a huge unused roof space so all that review is fine, I have seen it before though but was from somebody who didn't sell that unit only more expensive ones so was hardly impartial.
Mine I will fit and it will stay put so the flexibility cobblers is no interest.

Well it's fitted, my hand is shown for scale, just have to set up the connections now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So you asked for advice... Then ignored it :thumb: :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brave man. Let us know what you think of it after you have had it for a couple of months please ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
So you asked for advice... Then ignored it :thumb: :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brave man. Let us know what you think of it after you have had it for a couple of months please ::bigsmile:

Ha ha love it. No, nothing posted on here of any use so spent a lifetime on the net researching, all was good enough to buy at £625 all in :)
Sure, will do, good or bad.

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
hi let us know how you get on using it ,I would be interested in how you get on with it ,regards Chris

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

hi let us know how you get on using it ,I would be interested in how you get on with it ,regards Chris

Sure will do Chris, off to the Lake District in a week for a week.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Ha ha love it. No, nothing posted on here of any use so spent a lifetime on the net researching, all was good enough to buy at £625 all in :)
Sure, will do, good or bad.
Where did you get it for that price.
The best I can find is around £650. Was it easy to fit yourself ?

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Where did you get it for that price.
The best I can find is around £650. Was it easy to fit yourself ?

There is a seller on eBay who sells at £640 I think but in the ad it says phone for a deal for all over £100, I did and got £625 all in. If you can't find the seller let me know and I will dig the tel number out.

Yes easy, needs a 60cm footprint, sikaflex glue and a 12mm drill plus simple bits and bobs. One cable comes through roof and that's both power and signal so clever.

If you hunt on the net for I-sat you will easily find the fitting instructions, they tell all.

Unit all alloy and very good quality, wether it works is still tba.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Be careful with it, the gearbox can easily be broken if you try to remove it with a light thump. Mine froze up in March at Newark and would not retract so I had to remove it (being careful of the gearbox cos that broke previously) so also be careful in very cold conditions.

Yes I'm a trader, yes I will sell you one if you really insist want it, and yes I will even fit it but I'd probably rather not if its all the same. Range is good for UK and probably northern france/Belgium/Holland at the moment, outside of that you're not likely to get much UK TV content.

Mine has worked well so far (apart from the bad bits I've already mentioned).

Be lucky and have fun.

D.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Be careful with it, the gearbox can easily be broken if you try to remove it with a light thump. Mine froze up in March at Newark and would not retract so I had to remove it (being careful of the gearbox cos that broke previously) so also be careful in very cold conditions.

Yes I'm a trader, yes I will sell you one if you really insist want it, and yes I will even fit it but I'd probably rather not if its all the same. Range is good for UK and probably northern france/Belgium/Holland at the moment, outside of that you're not likely to get much UK TV content.

Mine has worked well so far (apart from the bad bits I've already mentioned).

Be lucky and have fun.

D.
Yeah that's a fair shout Dave, as ever you get what you pay for. My choice in my chosen budget offered either another maxview crank up or this, as half the price of most auto units I decided worth a punt.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
I bought one of these last year,, to be fair had a problem with the first one as it wouldnt detect the satellites. Replaced no problem now detects everything, we drove to France a couple of weeks ago worked fine.

Not really put under the cosh in weaker areas but we will see

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

I posted that originally.

We (Van Bitz) sold the units and installed them. We decided that with the problems as we saw them, we would no longer sell them. As we are not trying to sell anything, only to give an opinion as it was at the time sought, I cannot see that it is anything but impartial. On the original post I suggested an alternative, but even that one we do not sell, so the review couldn't be more impartial. If I was selling a product and gave it a good review are you suggesting that that would have been "more impartial"

As for the "flexibility cobblers" we do have the sales of goods act (s) so if a manufacturer makes a claim on their point of sale, and we know it to be, in our opinion misleading or wrongt, we actually do have a issue, so it is hardly cobblers. Irrelevent perhaps to an individual but still a factual part of the review.

If you bought one expecting to be able to "pop it off when necessary, only to find that, in fact thta wasn't the case, you'd be miffed if it was a known issue that no one every mentioned in a review.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I posted that originally.

We (Van Bitz) sold the units and installed them. We decided that with the problems as we saw them, we would no longer sell them. As we are not trying to sell anything, only to give an opinion as it was at the time sought, I cannot see that it is anything but impartial. On the original post I suggested an alternative, but even that one we do not sell, so the review couldn't be more impartial. If I was selling a product and gave it a good review are you suggesting that that would have been "more impartial"

As for the "flexibility cobblers" we do have the sales of goods act (s) so if a manufacturer makes a claim on their point of sale, and we know it to be, in our opinion misleading or wrongt, we actually do have a issue, so it is hardly cobblers. Irrelevent perhaps to an individual but still a factual part of the review.

If you bought one expecting to be able to "pop it off when necessary, only to find that, in fact thta wasn't the case, you'd be miffed if it was a known issue that no one every mentioned in a review.

A good shout thank you.
The flexibility bit i meant when you can take the top off etc, in that I don't require that facility.

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
We bought one of these units and as someone else pointed out it opened out to almost a 180 degree angle, we then found out that the elevation motor had failed, we got in touch with the supplier and they replaced it without delay, it now works perfectly, we have used it as far East as the Rhine in Germany without problems and as far south as the Lot valley, will try the Pyrenees this year. I can't see why it should work as it is built in Italy and can tune into 5 satellites and you can alter the skew for the southern beam ; I think it is a case of something that is new and not yet fully tested and there will be teething problems, shame they couldn't be ironed out before they went on sale. Our reason for buying one was space on the roof and they only weigh in at about 6kg compared to the big dishes. We are quite happy with it now it works and finds the signal as quick as any dish, we have it permanently installed on the roof - if we can't get a signal then there are always books!:Smile:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We bought one of these units and as someone else pointed out it opened out to almost a 180 degree angle, we then found out that the elevation motor had failed, we got in touch with the supplier and they replaced it without delay, it now works perfectly, we have used it as far East as the Rhine in Germany without problems and as far south as the Lot valley, will try the Pyrenees this year. I can't see why it should work as it is built in Italy and can tune into 5 satellites and you can alter the skew for the southern beam ; I think it is a case of something that is new and not yet fully tested and there will be teething problems, shame they couldn't be ironed out before they went on sale. Our reason for buying one was space on the roof and they only weigh in at about 6kg compared to the big dishes. We are quite happy with it now it works and finds the signal as quick as any dish, we have it permanently installed on the roof - if we can't get a signal then there are always books!:Smile:

Great read thanks for this, as you say always books and another walkif needs be.
Yes ironing the bugs would be good but hey, Italians eh.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
I bought one last year nothing but problems. Sometimes it would find a satellite, other times not. It worked perfectly when last used last September. Now not not finding any satellites again. Waiting for dealer reply but they were pretty useless last year. And yes it was the seller on Ebay, £640.00 seemed a good deal but aftersales has been appalling.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well all I'm pleased to say all positive.

It's worked and found a signal in pouring rain and it seems to work a treat on Astra 2 which I use.
In the Lake District, Wales and Worcs all the same, good.

They say up to 4 mins to locate a signal but never more than 2 so far. I run mine through a transformer ( with dealers ok) and 12v with no issues. It's very small looking to, check the pic which I like a lot ( size not pic).

Downsides?
It sounds like a cheaper unit when spinning but is ok.
The lights on the gadget differ from the book which confused me.

Overall rating 8/10 but for £625 and easy to fit with just one wire through the roof 9/10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back